+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

My waffle cone maker arrived today. Found the best price at Amazon and when I signed up for the free month-long trial of Amazon Prime, two day shipping was free.

Purchased the Chef's Choice 838 Waffle Cone Express Ice Cream Cone Maker - - - which comes with a "doo-dad" to wrap the warm waffle around so that it ends up being shaped like a cone.

There is a small ice cream shop in Sylva, NC called Jack The Dipper. They have two kinds of cones, made on an ancient looking machine. A plain/vanilla flavored cone and one with cinnamon added. OMG! It's amazing what a little bit of cinnamon can do for the taste of the cone. Forget the ice cream and just give me an empty cone!!

I plan to break it in over the weekend making "strawberry tacos". Will let you know how it goes.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Oh, now strawberry tacos I could get into. Yum! A little sweetened cream cheese, a drizzle of chocolate - the possiblilities are endless!
    Count your blessings!

Strawberry tacos? Oh goodness, that sounds devine! Let us know how they turn out!

My next gadget . . . as you might have guessed . . . is going to be an ice cream maker.

Had one years ago that took forever and needed about a glacier's worth of ice.

Thought about a "gelato" maker, but the price tag on a good one is way over my head.

Also thought about a "soft serve" ice cream maker, but those I've seen online look like a second cousin to an Easy Bake Oven. Not impressed.

When I googled "frozen yogurt maker", I got more of what I was looking for.

Cuisinart and Hamilton Beach both have models that make 1.5 quarts. Not looking for anything bigger as there are only 3 of us.

Any suggestions?

Oh yum!!! What a great idea! As Gut says upthread, the possibilities are endless! Those two gadgets sounds like a lot of fun! Let us know what kind of ice cream you make if you get it.

That combination of "gadgets" would be so dangerous in my hands! I'm already thinking "healthy" - adding whole wheat and wheat germ to the cones, making frozen (Greek) yogurt with fresh fruits and delectable "mix-ins". Put a rush on that ice-cream maker and let us know what you come up with.
    Count your blessings!

We got a Donvier ice cream maker about 20 years ago. It only makes about 1-1.5 quarts and uses a cylinder that you freeze first. We like it but don't use it much. But we probably use it more than we would a big one that requires ice and salt.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

That sounds like what I'm looking for veejer.

The one you bought 20 years ago was probably built like a tank compared to anything I could buy today.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;3896639;
    My next gadget . . . as you might have guessed . . . is going to be an ice cream maker.

Cuisinart and Hamilton Beach both have models that make 1.5 quarts. Not looking for anything bigger as there are only 3 of us.

Any suggestions?
    I have the Cuisinart and love it. A friend who is a great cook recommended it to me and after watching her make it, I was sold. Very easy. I just put it in my laundry room on a silicone pot holder to dampen the sound - it is not super loud, but is enough noise that it is better a few feet away from where everyone hangs out.

I hope this helps!

It does Cootie. A great number of the reviews I've read complained about the noise, which I can handle. It's hard to know how to take those customer reviews as you never know if someone is following the directions or just saying that they did.

Incidentally . . . the waffle cones were DELICIOUS!!!

The unit itself worked very well. You have to tinker with the dial (just like on a toaster) to see how light or dark you want your waffle cone. Pretty much decided that once the sizzling/hissing noises stopped, it was time to take it out. I had the dial turned so that the number 3 was no longer visible, but turning it up to 3 1/2 would probably have been okay as well.

Removal was no problem, not even the one time I forgot to spray the plates. The instructions say to brush it with oil, but the cooking spray I used worked just fine for me.

If you purchase the Chef's Choice model like I did, there are 3 recipes in the instruction book. The batter is unbelievable thick and it seems that there couldn't possibly be enough to make somewhere between 6 and 8 cones.

Trust me . . . . there is. If you follow their guidelines, using about 3 T of batter, you will get the amount they say you will. It is somewhat difficult to measure and pour accurately because of the thickness, so I am still looking for a better way than I used last night, which was to fill the 1/4 cup measuring cup and then take a spoonful of batter back out again.

To shape them for our "strawberry tacos", I took a pair of tongs (in the closed position) and balanced each end on a drinking glass. Just lay the warm waffle over the tongs and you will get the taco shell shape. You have a fair amount of time to work with the shape while the waffle is still warm. You can also center the warm waffle over an upside-down glass and push the sides down to make a bowl for ice cream (or for LOTS of strawberries!)

All in all, it was definitely worth the money. Can't wait for peaches to come in season!!
    Last edited by Little Sew&Sew; 05-10-2010 at 12:36 PM.

+ Reply to Thread