+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 45 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

I got my mother a Fiesta pitcher probably now about a dozen years ago at a department store going-out-of business sale. (It was a sentimental purchase--her mother had one when she was a kid (probably the toxic variety!) and she always wanted it but it went missing after my grandmother died.) Anyway, she's used it ever since for her constant supply of iced tea. That thing has been banged into more cabinets, counter tops, tables, and refrigerator shelves than I can count and it's still good as new. I second looking out for Macy's combining coupons & sales. Most of my All-Clad came from there; for instance, I got a sauce pan for $11 that was selling for $45 everywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3689912;
    I got my mother a Fiesta pitcher probably now about a dozen years ago at a department store going-out-of business sale. (It was a sentimental purchase--her mother had one when she was a kid (probably the toxic variety!) and she always wanted it but it went missing after my grandmother died.) Anyway, she's used it ever since for her constant supply of iced tea. That thing has been banged into more cabinets, counter tops, tables, and refrigerator shelves than I can count and it's still good as new. I second looking out for Macy's combining coupons & sales. Most of my All-Clad came from there; for instance, I got a sauce pan for $11 that was selling for $45 everywhere else.
    That sounds like one of my mom's stories. This is typical:
    "Well, it was normally $65, but it was marked down 75% and then I had a $10 off coupon and they also had a special if you used your Macy's card, so I ended up paying $3 for it!" I swear, one of these days, they're going to pay her to take something our of the store.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3690252;
    That sounds like one of my mom's stories. This is typical:
    "Well, it was normally $65, but it was marked down 75% and then I had a $10 off coupon and they also had a special if you used your Macy's card, so I ended up paying $3 for it!" I swear, one of these days, they're going to pay her to take something our of the store.
    I want to shop with your mom. I did triple coupons at Bloom last year. I had a 50 cent one for Chex Mix and the Chex Mix had one ON THE BAG, so they triped that one too. The store actually paid me about 22 cents a bag to get the chex mix. I bought 6 bags. That was the trip that the total bill was $180 and after triple coupons, it was $90. Of course I had nothing useful, just chex mix, 6 rolls of toothpaste and every kind of Pillsbury biscuit or refrigerated baking product you can buy.

Have you tried looking on Ebay for Fiesta ware?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3193155;
    I don't use a food mill but my Mom used to make the best tomato sauces using a "Foley Food Mill" . I believe it's no longer in production but after a quick search, this item looks very similar. Amazon.com: MIU Stainless-Steel Tomato/Vegetable Mill: Kitchen & Dining
    It was a year ago when I asked about food mills after making tomato basil soup and loving the taste but hating the tomato skins that somehow made it into the final product. I never got the mill in the fall but sometime in the winter I found one similar to this one and used it for the first time yesterday. It is definitely an entry level gadget, but it worked great for my soup.

I used tomatoes, onions, peppers, basil and garlic from my garden. Some of the peppers were a little spicy. The mill took out the seeds and skins and was easy to use. It fit over both a stockpot and a glass Pyrex 4 cup measuring very easily. And the soup was very tasty! I ended up putting chicken breast in it with fresh basil and parmesan cheese and a bit of milk. Next time I will probably just put the tomatoes and maybe the peppers through the mill separately and keep the rest of the vegetables in the soup for more fiber, etc. because most of that gets left behind in the mill.

I may try some fruit sauces, too. Are there other gadgets people use to make such things? The mill was very low tech and worked so well that I am inspired to do more with the food from my garden and what I can get from the Farmers' Market nearby.

Macy's has a sale on Fiestaware right now. The 4-piece place settings are about half off and there's free shipping with a $99 purchase.

Macy's | Fiesta Dinnerware, Fiestaware, Fiesta China, Fiesta Bowls - Macy's

Thanks for the tip. It seems like all the deals are right around this price. I also found a site called megachina.com that had a service for 4, 4 pieces each place setting, for $89. But I couldn't get their site to actually work, so maybe it's some sort of scam. I never gave them a credit card, at least.

We have a Tuesday morning and I'm going to give them a look, too.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

You're right, hep. That price for a place setting - $26.99 - is pretty standard. My mom uses her Macy's charge and a coupon and can get them for around $20. Still not a great deal.

Tuesday Morning may be the way to go.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I just looked at the ad again and noticed that the 5-piece setting is the same price as the 4. It's nothing I can afford right now but maybe one day........I love the colors they offer.

I just got a Macy's mailing last night that they are having additional savings this Friday and Saturday. The $26.99 set will be $21.99. I just need to find a way to get plates of various sizes and bowls without cups!
    Wag more, bark less

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie5632;3696357;
    I just got a Macy's mailing last night that they are having additional savings this Friday and Saturday. The $26.99 set will be $21.99. I just need to find a way to get plates of various sizes and bowls without cups!
    If they have special coupons for cardholders, you might even be able to get them for less. Check the newspapers ads.

I have a few place settings and, frankly, although those coffee mugs look cool , they're not good to drink hot stuff out of. The little round handle is configured in a way that causes you to have to rest your finger against the side of the mug when carrying it. Not good if you have hot tea or coffee in there. If they have the place settings that cheap, they might have deals on separate pieces as well.

+ Reply to Thread