+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;3686410;
    I am really sick of chipped dishes. My SIL said to try Fiestaware, but it's definitely priced as an investment. Has anyone had Fiestaware a long time and can attest to it being chip resistant?
    My mom called my grandmother a "slammer banger." meaning she was murder on dishes. She had Fiesta and it did chip, but not as bad as the Franciscan she had previously. I think she had bad depth perception, so she always thought the counter was further away than it really was. My aunt inherited my grandmother's Fiesta collection and added to it. I think she has a piece of every color they ever made except maybe one. We still chuckle when we get a chipped plate at Thanksgiving because we know who did it

Maybe you could buy a place setting of it and test it out. I know Macy's has those good coupons sometimes and you can get a set for around $20. I think Linens and Things (or is it Beth Bath and Beyond?) sells them too. I have a few place settings and haven't had any trouble, but I'm pretty easy on dishes for the most part.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Are you using them in the dishwasher? That's a funny story about your grandmother. Despite the fact that I have kids, I think we're pretty easy on dishes. The ones we have now came from Target; nothing special about them except that they are pretty. They chip in the dishwasher.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

My grandmother also had Fiestaware and I think one of my cousins ended up with it. It was pretty sturdy. And, fun.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3686438;
    My grandmother also had Fiestaware and I think one of my cousins ended up with it. It was pretty sturdy. And, fun.
    We always have Thanksgiving at my aunt and uncle's house and they table looks so pretty and colorful with all the different colors of Fiesta on it. You hardly need to do much else in the way of decoration for the table.

ETA: You know, I got it backwards, she replaced the Fiesta with the Franciscan. The Fiesta was just too heavy for her - she was a little gal (only 4'11") , so she had a tough time with them when she got older. That may be why she managed to chip them. The Franciscan has chips in it too, BTW.
    Last edited by Critical; 09-01-2009 at 01:24 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I love Fiestaware myself, but a word of warning to those with the older stuff. There is lead and uranium in the glaze (particularly in the red if I remember correctly) and it can leach into acidic foods. The new stuff is up to current standards with respect to toxicity.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3686487;
    I love Fiestaware myself, but a word of warning to those with the older stuff. There is lead and uranium in the glaze (particularly in the red if I remember correctly) and it can leach into acidic foods. The new stuff is up to current standards with respect to toxicity.
    It is the red ...that orange-y red, not the newer color (which is what I have). I talked to an antiques dealer about the uranium glaze pieces and asked what it was safe to use them for. He said you shouldn't put any kind of acidic foods or meats on them and you definitely shouldn't store food on them - like slapping Saran Wrap on top of a platter or something. I have a sugar and creamer (not Fiesta) that is uranium glaze and he told me that the sugar should be fine, but that I should wash the creamer out as soon as I'm done and to not store the cream in it (not that I would). Dry foods are fine on them - you could use it as a bread plate - but moisture is what causes a problem.

MRD

I aspire to won fiestaware one day. I love the colors and it does have a great reputation.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3686610;
    I aspire to won fiestaware one day. I love the colors and it does have a great reputation.
    I love mine...all two place settings of it! I have some serving pieces and a few pasta-type bowls that I use all the time. I plan on getting a few more place settings, but it's not cheap, so I wait for people to buy it for me My mom likes to get those types of things for me for Christmas. My mom has sets in a few of the citrus-y colors - the yellow, green and orange - and they are so pretty in the summer.

I have two sets of the red and plan on getting a few place settings in black and white. Can you tell what colors my kitchen is?

Years ago, I had a roommate who used Fiestaware. When we moved, she was going to throw it all out rather than bother packing it (it was newer storebought, not the older collectibles, but still ). My sister asked to take it instead of seeing it go into the dumpster... she's still using it more than 15 years later with no complaints!
    remember to play

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3686610;
    Yeah, I've definitely got to wait until I can figure out a good coupon angle.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread