+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

MRD

Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

Le Creuset is enamaled cast iron. It's not ceramic. I don't know about how it works on those stoves, but the stuff is apparantly indestructible as cookware.

I just found out that bed, bath and beyond sells it. And with a 20% off bb&b coupon, that should be a pretty good discount.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I have a gas range. Thanks MRD , do you know if it chips easily? We just got a Bed, Bath and Beyond but sadly do not have TJ Max or Marshalls. I do know you can't put Le Creuset on a glass cook top. I was just in a store and was reading the labels I have also seen some good prices from some online chef type stores, as well as at Home Outfitters. There are some small stores nearby, but they are super expensive. The prices seem to vary so much store to store. I do live within an hour of the border though, so maybe I'll look into whether it would be worth the trip.

MRD

My SIL has a 30+ year old set and hers looks brand new. No chips or anything.

I don't have experience with it myself. It's what I would like to have. But I hear such great things about it and how long it lasts that the initial investment in it is actually a good one as the stuff aparantly lasts a really long time.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I like to mix and match... Look at what you're going to use the pan for mostly and try to tailor it for that purpose. I agree with whomever said above: Don't buy sets! I think she applied it to knives, but it applies to pans too... The sets usually have 3 pans you use all the time and two pans that you'll NEVER use... I have mostly Emerilware (All Clad) Anondized Aluminum Non-stick... They're very comparable to the high end caphalon stuff at a fraction of the price. I LOVE it... Especially with a very even heat and the easy clean up... I especially use the smaller sauce pans... However, I prefer a stainless skillet for things like pan searing meats. Especially if you're using the scrapings in the pan to make sauce... I have a Le Creuset Dutch Oven that's great for making stews... Another big plus, it's oven safe! I have a large inexpensive pot I use for things like making spaghetti... You don't really need a $130.00 non stick pot for that... I also use it for things like mashed potatoes where I'm not that worried about scraping up the sides with an electric mixer...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

Canuck have you shopped at Linens 'n Things?
    Linens 'n Things
    They are like Bed, Bath and Beyond. I love shopping at LnT.

I haven't looked in Linens 'n Things. Thanks Unk! Brodie, those are really good suggestions. I think I'll stay away from the sets and try to come up with a list that will take into account all the things you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3198771;
    Canuck have you shopped at Linens 'n Things?
    Linens 'n Things
    They are like Bed, Bath and Beyond. I love shopping at LnT.
    I love Linens n' Things too! If your town is like mine, you probably get enough of their 20% off coupons to wallpaper a small bathroom... They're pretty liberal in my store... You just tell them you forgot to bring one and they'll hook you up. They'll usually take the Bed Bath and Beyond ones too, and vice versa too...
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;3198599;
    I have a glass cook top that says not to use ceramic cookware. I have not researched to see if Le Creuset would fall under that no-no or if the manufacturer means cheap Walmart ceramic cookware.
    I have a glass top too, so I was worried about using my Le Creuset on it since it's cast iron, but I've never had a bit of trouble. I think the main thing is to be careful not to slide the cookware around so you don't scratch the surface.

That's interesting Marley. I didn't get why it would be a problem but that explains it. Le Creuset probably doesn't want to be held liable, but the pans would work just fine. . The lady selling the stuff had never heard that about the glass cook tops either until I showed her the label. That's what I get for actually reading the instructions for the first time in my life

Premium Member

I've had my glass top for about 5 years. The only time I've damaged it is from leaving a plastic utensil on it and turning on the wrong burner. The plastic melted into it and ended up pulling up some little chips of the glass while cleaning it off. It didn't affect it otherwise, everything still works fine.

+ Reply to Thread