+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 368
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

  1. #101
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,905

    Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

    Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;3197483;
    I'd like to see a device for herbs where you drop them in and it separates leaves and stems. Picking through cilantro is such a tedious, time-consuming job!
    Let me know if you find one! I like cooking with thyme (as well as cilantro), but de-stemming is a b**ch.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

  2. #102
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

    Thyme is the easiest. I just grab a stem and hold one end and rake my finger and thumb of the other hand down the stem and the leaves fly off.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  3. #103
    Premium Member DesertRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Reno hell
    Posts
    3,481

    Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

    As for cilantro and parsley, you do not need to take off the stems. Only the long main stem needs to be removed. Just grab your bunch and twist off the top. The little stems that come with the leaves are great in flavor and texture.

  4. #104
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,905

    Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3197891;
    Thyme is the easiest. I just grab a stem and hold one end and rake my finger and thumb of the other hand down the stem and the leaves fly off.
    My fingers are too strong -- I always end up pulling branch stems along with the leaves. I have the same problem with rosemary, too!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

  5. #105
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    15,660

    Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3198106;
    My fingers are too strong -- I always end up pulling branch stems along with the leaves. I have the same problem with rosemary, too!
    Maybe I grow a different variety of rosemary, but I just grab the stalk at the top and run my fingers along it against the direction that the leaves are growing. It's super easy compared with trying to get them off going the other direction. The leaves just peel right off the stalk.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  6. #106
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3198112;
    Maybe I grow a different variety of rosemary, but I just grab the stalk at the top and run my fingers along it against the direction that the leaves are growing. It's super easy compared with trying to get them off going the other direction. The leaves just peel right off the stalk.
    That's how I do it too. I love the smell when I've deleaved a stem of rosemary.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  7. #107
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,905

    Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

    Yep, I run my fingers against the direction of growth, just like they show on Food Network and in cooking classes. And I always get some amount of stem with leaves. (But love the smell it that remains on my fingers!)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

  8. #108
    Premium Member canuckinchile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    back in "The Big Smoke"
    Posts
    6,961

    Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

    My cookware has seen better days and since my kids are off to college I am thinking about giving some of it to them. I don't know a lot about Le Creuset and All Clad or any other types but would love to hear who thinks what is better and why. I looked at Le Creuset, and it is nice but awfully heavy. I was thinking that a couple of small pots for sauces and one big one for stove to oven would be nice. My hubby prefers the All Clad type because he doesn't like the ceramics. I am on a learning curve, and would love to pick up a few pieces for his birthday or Christmas (close together) since he really loves to cook. My head is kind of spinning after reading on the internet about all the different types of cookware!

  9. #109
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

    Canuckinchile - If you have one nearby, you may want to check out a store like TJ Maxx or Marshalls. Often times, they've got individual pieces of various cookware, so you can just buy a piece or two for a lower price instead of a full set to decide whether or not you like the feel. I know I've seen Le Creuset there at times before.

    I took that approach years ago when I was trying to decide between Henckels and Chicago Cutlery knives. I ended up finding so many different sized knives there over time that I stocked my drawer with all of them over time, never buying a full set of either knives.

  10. #110
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Reality
    Posts
    2,365

    Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3198589;
    Canuckinchile - If you have one nearby, you may want to check out a store like TJ Maxx or Marshalls. Often times, they've got individual pieces of various cookware, so you can just buy a piece or two for a lower price instead of a full set to decide whether or not you like the feel. I know I've seen Le Creuset there at times before.

    I took that approach years ago when I was trying to decide between Henckels and Chicago Cutlery knives. I ended up finding so many different sized knives there over time that I stocked my drawer with all of them over time, never buying a full set of either knives.
    I did exactly this a few months ago. Not knowing what I wanted I searched the local TJ Maxx Home Goods where I bought a Circulon Elite 1 qt sauce pan with a glass lid for $15.00. LOVE IT!!! Then I found a Circulon 4 qt Covered Tapered Sauteuse for $20.00 at a Macy's "right place at the right time" sale. These can go from stovetop to oven too.
    I LOVE the glass lids. You can see what is going on inside with just a quick glance. I also have the 8 qt stock pot.

    I have a glass cook top that says not to use ceramic cookware. I have not researched to see if Le Creuset would fall under that no-no or if the manufacturer means cheap Walmart ceramic cookware.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.