+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

Re: Kitchen Gadgets and Gizmos

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;3193093;
    So while I am fascinated about the bags and this info has been interesting to read, I had a question I posted just before the bag comments about food mills for making tomato sauce, soup, applesauce, etc. I think my query got buried in the bag convo. With a garden full of tomatoes, I am curious what you gadgeteers know about food mills that can strain the seeds and make the sauce a smooth consistency? Sorry to pester you all if you don't have an answer to this, but I wonder if anyone has advice on such a device? Specifically, how to buy one, what features are the most useful, finishes, etc. Thanks so much!
    I don't use a food mill but my Mom used to make the best tomato sauces using a "Foley Food Mill" . I believe it's no longer in production but after a quick search, this item looks very similar. Amazon.com: MIU Stainless-Steel Tomato/Vegetable Mill: Kitchen & Dining
    CYA

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3193155;
    I don't use a food mill but my Mom used to make the best tomato sauces using a "Foley Food Mill" . I believe it's no longer in production but after a quick search, this item looks very similar. Amazon.com: MIU Stainless-Steel Tomato/Vegetable Mill: Kitchen & Dining
    Thanks Bunny! I will let you know what I end up getting. If the weather holds we will have plenty of tomatoes to experiment on sauces. And then I will try making applesauce and maybe some pumpkin puree for pie?

MRD

I had some time to kill today and my daughter's school is next to a Tuesday Morning. I've been wanting a really nice metal strainer for the sink. I looked at one there today and it was $16.99. I am going to get one soon. I hate my plastic one that doesn't work well and the mesh one I have is just as bad.

Our Tuesday morning has some great kitchen stuff in it, but the store is so trashy and junky that you can't find anything. I've been in some nice Tuesday Mornings and they have some good deals, but this one is horrible. I was looking at towels today and you couldn't even look as none were folded. Just thrown on the shelf and lot's on the floor. Gross. I don't know why they don't straighten up the store and make it look better.

Still they have some great kitchen stuff at pretty decent prices.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I love my metal strainer. I got it as a gift for Christmas one year.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD, I saw some nice metal strainers for $12CAN at Walmart this afternoon and thought of you. $17US for a metal strainer seems a little pricey to me.

MRD

Well these at Tuesday morning, look like the ones all those gusy use on the food network and it looked sturdy. I'm looking for sturdy as you don't know how many times I've lost pasta down the garbage disposal as my strainer is NOT sturdy. But still $17.

I have a set of 3 different sized ones that I got at Sam's on their discontinued rack for $6.

IKEA has very cool and very inexpensive kitchen gadgets - including a large pot with a colander/strainer that fits inside of it. I have two, (one large and one small) and I use it alllll of the time when I make pasta. Just boil the pasta, and when it's done pull the colander out of the pot!

I buy most of my kitchen stuff at IKEA because you can't beat the prices and they basically have everything you can think of. The only thing I don't like from IKEA are the knives - it's good to have a nice set of sturdy knives that will last and not get dull quickly. IKEAs knives are cheapy.

MRD

Food Network did a show tonight called Kitchen Gadgets of the Future. I so wanted to watch it and got vetoed. I know they'll probably replay it. Did anyone see it? I have fantasies of what future kitchen gadgets would be. Like an electric device you drop veggies and fruit in and they come out peeled, sliced and chopped. (that probably already exists. )

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3197113;
    Food Network did a show tonight called Kitchen Gadgets of the Future. I so wanted to watch it and got vetoed. I know they'll probably replay it. Did anyone see it? I have fantasies of what future kitchen gadgets would be. Like an electric device you drop veggies and fruit in and they come out peeled, sliced and chopped. (that probably already exists. )
    I'd like to see a device for herbs where you drop them in and it separates leaves and stems. Picking through cilantro is such a tedious, time-consuming job!

+ Reply to Thread