+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree381Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Woodsprite Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

That is what I think too, but I'm not sure.

I've always heard that one of the early presidents (I want to say it was Andrew Jackson) was hungover after a little too much moonshine the night before and he ordered his cook to make him some ham with gravy as red as his eyes.

Shay - the pickled eggs are WHOLE boiled eggs that have been pickled in (I think) vinegar and spices. I love boiled eggs and I enjoy MOST things that are pickled, but the pickled eggs are kind of slimy and weird. Worth trying, but not something I would eat often!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3417493;
    I'm not a southerner, so I'm just guessing:
    Maybe it's called red-eye gravy because of the coffee/caffeine?
    That's what I've always heard--when your eyes are red because you just got up, you need coffee. Anyway, I've got to admit that I hate it!
    Last edited by queenb; 04-18-2009 at 10:55 PM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

OK, Wikipedia says...

Red Eye Gravy's name likely comes from the appearance of the gravy. Prepared traditionally, when coffee and grease are not combined until the end (see Preparation, below) the coffee and grease form a heterogeneous mixture, with the water-based coffee sinking to the bottom and the oil-based grease forming the top layer. In a round bowl, therefore, the mixture looks much like a red eye, the coffee giving the red hue and the grease looking like a human iris. [1]

Less traditional preparation techniques do not always result in the "red eye" appearance, leading to folk legends surrounding the origin of the name. For instance, that former United States President Andrew Jackson requested ham with gravy as red as his cook's eyes, which were bloodshot from drinking the night before,[2] or that the black coffee in the gravy will keep people awake.[3]

So, we're all right--sort of. It also had a picture of the gravy in a bowl--looking like an eye if you stretch your imagination!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The idea of coffee-tasting gravy is not a pleasant one.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

So... does anyone here like chocolate gravy with their biscuits?
    Love is blind; friendship closes its eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3417878;
    . . . Prepared traditionally, when coffee and grease are not combined until the end (see Preparation, below) the coffee and grease form a heterogeneous mixture, with the water-based coffee sinking to the bottom and the oil-based grease forming the top layer . . .
    Okay -- now THAT sounds pretty disgusting!

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3417911;
    So... does anyone here like chocolate gravy with their biscuits?
    I'm almost afraid to ask: Chocolate chocolate, as in chocolate with sugar (bleccchhh) for a sweet "gravy" -- more like a "chocolate syrup" for a sweet, dessertish sort of concoction -- or enhanced with a tiny bit of unsweetened cocoa powder as a savory element to deepen the flavor of a savory gravy?
    Last edited by Ellen; 04-19-2009 at 05:04 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Premium Member

I could see a little chocolate. I discovered chocolate tortilla chips made by Food Should Taste Good, they are delicious. That little hint of cocoa with the saltiness of the chips is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3417905;
    The idea of coffee-tasting gravy is not a pleasant one.
    It tastes better than it sounds.

I've never heard of chocolate gravy. But those chocolate tortilla chips sound delicious...
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Premium Member

They are. I first found them last summer at a market in Jackson, WY, and couldn't find them anywhere around here, but I recently found them again at Whole Foods. They don't even need any kind of dip they are so good.

FoodShouldTasteGood Chips | All-natural healthy snacks

They are actually healthy, too!
    Last edited by Marleybone; 04-19-2009 at 06:31 PM.

+ Reply to Thread