+ Reply to Thread
Page 95 of 480 FirstFirst ... 45858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105145195 ... LastLast
Like Tree484Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I want a bacone...it sounds wonderful, for once a year or so.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3409433;
    I want a bacone...it sounds wonderful, for once a year or so.
    Yeah, it did sound good for a once a year thing. I think Hardee's should carry it. I mean, they now have the fried pork chop biscuit with gravy on the pork chop, so it's not a huge leap to the Bacone.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm a huge TJ's fan as well-being that I don't eat meat or anything, I can find a lot of good stuff to eat that isn't going to be totally blah. If we had one closer (the nearest is 5 miles away) we would do most of our grocery shopping there-the only thing that I don't like is their small selection of produce. My dad works at a co-op chain here in Seattle and we can't buy everything from there, but if I worked in the area I would try and walk or bus it (I don't drive) there for lunch because I can get a cup of soup, bagel, and drink for less than $5. I've never actually been to Whole Foods though. Between PCC and Trader Joes I think I am pretty well set.

When it comes to produce though, there is a farmer's market a few miles up the road that has asparagus at $1 a pound and other insane deals, so my mum and I are going to start going there. Also I wish I could do more shopping down at Pike Place Market...it's not just a big tourist attraction, ya know.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

I have decided that my next big project will be tamales. I have been intrigued by them for years, but always too intimidated to attempt. Pioneer Woman posted her version of Tamales today http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...e-lost-tamale/ and that sealed the deal for me. I will not be using the beef brisket - I gotta have pork in my tamales. It will definitely have to be a weekend project. Does anyone have experience with tamales?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3410284;
    I have decided that my next big project will be tamales. I have been intrigued by them for years, but always too intimidated to attempt. Pioneer Woman posted her version of Tamales today The Pioneer Woman Cooks - Ree Drummond and that sealed the deal for me. I will not be using the beef brisket - I gotta have pork in my tamales. It will definitely have to be a weekend project. Does anyone have experience with tamales?
    My experience is only with eating them. I LOVE tamales and yes, they have to be pork. We have a friend that is Mexican and he tells how making them is a whole family affair. Grandma makes the filling and the masa and then the rest of the family fill them and wrap them. He says it's labor intensive and they only have then on special occasions. But then he told me later that his grandmother usually makes them for a crowd of about 25 people, so that's a lot of tamales.

I grew up in Chicago and remember picking up tamales and lemon ices on the way to the park as a kid. Never found tamales like those until 2 weeks ago on a trip up north - stopped in a hot dog place and they had the tamales I remember as a kid. and do on-line shipping.
    so, I ordered some (well, a lot). I'm in tamale heaven. (and sorry, I don't do much cooking myself, but I'm happy)

MRD

So here it is Easter Sunday and my family can't decide on dinner. Daughter is doing weight watchers, so doesn't want ham and scalloped pineapple, deviled eggs or any of the other stuff I serve on Easter.

Hubby wants ham. I have to study, so don't want to have to make a big meal. We compromised on a roast chicken, baked sweet potatos and fresh green beans.

I'm ticked because, while it's a nice meal, it's NOT what I want. And I didn't buy any Easter candy for the baskets because of the WW.

Oh well, I'm just thankful we are all together.

And the friends of my daughters had a baby in the wee hours this morning. They named her Beatrix (after Beatrix Potter of Peter Rabbit fame) and had the name picked out even before she decided to arrive on Easter. I"ve been calling her a little Easter Egg the Easter Bunny left. So now have to make food to take over there probably tomorrow.

Happy Easter! Let's see -- I think the only traditional thing for today is that DH and I played Easter Bunny for each other, so we each have a Lindt bunny. It's sunny and in the high 60ºs - low 70ºs, so we'll take a drive up the coast and go for a walk on a beach somewhere. Then for Easter dinner, DH is making honey-chipotle shrimp. (Neither of us is a big fan of ham -- maybe as an ingredient in something else, but not as a "stand alone" main course.)

We've got the bunnies on the kitchen table in a kissing position. They're kind of cute! Maybe when we come home, we'll find more chocolate. (You know bunnies . . . .)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3411072;
    Happy Easter! Let's see -- I think the only traditional thing for today is that DH and I played Easter Bunny for each other, so we each have a Lindt bunny. It's sunny and in the high 60šs - low 70šs, so we'll take a drive up the coast and go for a walk on a beach somewhere. Then for Easter dinner, DH is making honey-chipotle shrimp. (Neither of us is a big fan of ham -- maybe as an ingredient in something else, but not as a "stand alone" main course.)

We've got the bunnies on the kitchen table in a kissing position. They're kind of cute! Maybe when we come home, we'll find more chocolate. (You know bunnies . . . .)
    No ham here either! A walk on the beach sure sounds good, I wish I was near a sunny beach right now! It is raining here and in the 50's. I have been feeling a little sad about having no children here with us, but you've inspired me to work on my attitude. I have some Easter candy hiding around here somewhere. I think we will grill something a little later. I am still in breakfast mode as we had a later start to the day.

MRD

Well, decided on a ham after all. So now are having roast chicken, baked sweet potatos, green beans, ham, deviled eggs and scalloped pineapple to go with the ham. Hubby was really depressed about the ham so I went and got one and it's in the oven now.

Ellen, you'll liable to come home to dozens of chocolate bunnies.

+ Reply to Thread