+ Reply to Thread
Page 90 of 497 FirstFirst ... 408081828384858687888990919293949596979899100140190 ... LastLast
Like Tree535Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I haven't poked into this thread in a while but I just wanted to add something to the Mashed potatoes with Mayo talk.

Butter isn't something we have on hand regularly here, so years ago I started making mashed potatoes with Mayo.
    I don't know about creamy-er but they are certainly creamy. I don't care for the flavor of Mayo though, so I began only using that method when I was making Ranch-Mashed (Mashed potatoes with some ranch dressing mix mixed in)

I have since replaced Mayo with fat free Cream Cheese! A little splash of skim milk and about half a box of FFCC, dash of sea salt, dash of fresh ground pepper and a few dashes of parsely. It's definately my favorite way to make mashed potatoes now. Super creamy, delicious and less fat/cal than butter OR Mayo and another way to sneak more protien into my growing boys
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Here's a question I have had for years....what does parsley add to a recipe, other than color? My taste buds don't really detect anything, in particular, but it could just be me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm not too sure of a describable flavor but I know that my dad uses it for his salsa and it is a big ingredient in Mexican cooking. Other than that I couldn't really describe it's taste.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3399891;
    Sweet and salty is pretty good. I absolutely love to dip my Wendy's french fries into a cold chocolate frosty...mmm...

I was watching a thing on the food network on weird foods and they had Jones Soda on this particular episode because they made an entire collection of Thanksgiving flavored soda. They had turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry (normal, I guess), and even stuffing if I remember right.

At Target they sell it in 12 pack cans now.
    I remember seeing those in Target and I"m sorry, but I'm NOT drinking anything that tastes like gravy and mashed potatos. That just sounds GROSS. The turkey and stuffing ones do too.

Well I paid $3 for this bacon candy bar, but it's his birthday, so I figured it was ok for a once a year treat.

I got really sick a few years ago after drinking a banana fosters cappicino and since them, banana flavored anything is beyond my eating or drinking ability. I like bananas, but the flavored stuff is so banana-y that I can't do it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

A bacon candy bar? Holey Moley! I wonder if that tastes good!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I used to love the Banana Bike (at least I think that's what they were called) candies from my childhood! Since I'm allergic to real bananas, but I like the banana taste, I'm a careful banana flavoring fan.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I had forgotten about those. We would go to my grandmother's in the summer, she would let us walk to the store to get red hots for her cinnamon apples, and we would have to buy banana bikes for her... and sometimes we could get a bottle coke from the ice box... such fun.

Do you remember those little candies that were shaped like fruits? I would always pick out all of the banana ones and eat them first. They were my favorite!
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

I have an entire drawer filled with those banana shaped hard candies Cali!! Those and the banana Laffy Taffy..... Now-N-Later used to have banana flavor but I haven't found it in years.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3400171;
    Here's a question I have had for years....what does parsley add to a recipe, other than color? My taste buds don't really detect anything, in particular, but it could just be me.
    Big read, so I won't post it all. But aside from the VERY SUBTLE flavor, I use Parsley wherever I can for the nutritional benifits.

WHFoods: Parsley

A little taste of the posted link ...Parsley is an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin K. It is a good source of iron and folate. Parsley's volatile oil components include myristicin, limonene, eugenol, and alpha-thujene. Its flavonoids include apiin, apigenin, crisoeriol, and luteolin.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

+ Reply to Thread