+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 473 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109 ... LastLast
Like Tree444Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Missyboxers - That sounds good, please let me know how it works and post a link if it's a keeper!

MRD

My crockpot is my best friend. I probably use it almost as much as my food processor. I use it at least a couple times a week and more in the winter.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My son is going apple picking tomorrow with the daycare and I'm joining them. I can't remember which apples are best for pies and baking. I think it's one that is not too sweet, right? Is a Cortland good?

I prefer Granny Smith's for baking. It is a green variety, firm and tart.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3197977;
    a couple weeks ago I had a ham and brie sandwich at a local deli and it was fabulous. It was served on a croisant.

So I bought my own croisants at the grocery bakery, some maple ham from the deli and I've been enjoying my own version
    I add a touch of dijon mustard (no mayo) and some boston lettuce and they are FABULOUS sandwiches.

I thought I would share.
    MRD.... at one of our local delis they make a ham and cheese sandwich IN a croissant and it is delicious! (they also have them in chicken and turkey) It comes in this big ball of yumminess. I wonder if you could try that, MissMartha?
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

DesertRose - Oh fun! Apple picking! I think you are right in that the less sweet ones are best for baking. I want to say harrelsons? ?? I can't remember but I bet the apple orchard peeps will know. We are going berry picking next weekend and I'm going to bake some pies with my berries. mmmmmmmm. I have to give the pies away though, as it's too dangerous to have berry pie in the house in large quantities.

MRD - Are crockpots hard to clean? Does the heating device detach and allow you to put it in the dishwasher?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Crockpots are now easy to clean and do come apart. The ones from way back in the day were all one unit. There are also crockpot liners (it's a clear plastic bag that fits the shape of the pot) that help make cleanup a breeze. You can find them in your grocery store.

Now that I've got power back, I can use my new George Foreman grill that I bought the day before the power left town. It is the one with the removable plates. Anybody got any new-user advice? I'm open! But first, I've got to go major grocery shopping to get something to cook on my grill! I've never had to go replenish everything before.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

The lid and crock of mine are removable and dishwasher safe! Yeah! However, I usually wash my crock by hand as it takes up room in the dishwasher that a LOT of other stuff can fit. I'd rather wash one crock by hand, then a bunch of other stuff. And the crock is so easy to clean. Nothing sticks to the surface.

I was asked to post this, so I will.

The History of Duke's Mayonnaise

The company was started by a woman (Mrs. Eugenia Duke) who was selling sandwiches to the soldiers training at Camp Sevier in WW One, in Greenville, SC. They liked it so much that after the war, they started writing her in droves for her recipes. She started making Duke's mayo out of her kitchen and her sons took over from her and the family sold it to the Sauer Co. in 1929. When she started the business, women still didn't have the right to vote, often didn't work outside the home at all and didn't own companies or much property. It's been a huge hit since the beginning and the recipe has never changed since Mrs. Duke first started the company in 1917.

It also does not have sugar added to the recipe, so it's one of the lowest sugar content Mayo's out there today.

Duke's is still manufactured in Greenville, SC (and I think maybe somewhere else too, but there is still a Duke's plant here and you can tour it)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I have never seen that brand of mayo! I wonder if it is only available on the East coast? Sounds pretty good since there is no sugar added!

I have a question for all of you that use the Swanson's chicken broth that comes in the pourable cardboard container made to be refridgerated after opening. It says that is should be used within 14 days of opening/refridgerating. I'm wondering if anyone has used it past that window of time. It seems that it would still be good - and I absolutely hate to throw anything away. My husband says I get really too carried away with this, as I save all kinds of things and freeze them. A couple of months ago, he was cleaning out the freezer to make room for the groceries we just purchased (yes, he likes to go grocery shopping and he helps put it all away ) and he could not stop rolling his eyes at me when he found lots of ziploc baggies filled with food items. The item that really got to him was tomato paste. I have a recipe for my grandmother's spaghetti sauce and it only calls for 1 tablespoon of tomato paste. I see it as wasteful to throw away the rest of the can even though it is so inexpensive. So I had saved the rest and labeled it - and he just started laughing at me. He said "Really now, Marge, what are you saving us? Maybe 39 cents? And you are taking up freezer space for this??? Don't be crazy - it's okay, we can afford the 39 cents each time we make sauce"

So, the question is - How long do you think the broth would still be safe to use? I didn't bother this time, as I think it has been in the fridge for over a month - but for next time, I'm curious. Thoughts?

Margaritaville - I always throw stuff out when it's older than the expiration date. Maybe I'd let it go a day past, but I'm the opposite of you - I throw stuff out right away. If I have leftovers I try to eat them the next day. I can't keep track of how long something's been in the refrigerator.

As for that broth, if it says it's too old, I'd believe it. Unless it's been frozen, I'd toss it - it's not worth getting sick!

MRD- I've never heard of that brand, either. You are in Greenville SC? Oh, I just LOVED that show about the real estate team that was from Greenville and worked on flipping houses in that area. I think it was on A&E and also on TLC for awhile. Did you watch that show? That area looks charming!

+ Reply to Thread