+ Reply to Thread
Page 86 of 468 FirstFirst ... 36767778798081828384858687888990919293949596136186 ... LastLast
Like Tree418Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

While my potatoes are boiling, I like to cook some diced onion until they are really brown, plus a little garlic. I don't peel my taters, just boil them, mash them up with the onions and garlic, some black pepper, and some half and half. Oh yeah, butter too, and if it's a holiday I'll put some bacon in it too. I rarely make them for just me and possibluy L, so when I do I want them to be really, really good. I like mine sort-of lumpy, and not runny at all. They should be thick enough to stand in a pile, but barely. I don't like runny mashed taters. That would be tater soup.
    MRD, you are right, whatever you are using to cream the potatoes has to be hot, or you've wasted your effort.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I use to LOVE Cracker Barrel's Chef salad, and anymore, they have made it so much smaller.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

is anyone good at creating a recipe from just a list of items? we recently had a chili cook-off at work and i absolutely LOVED one of the entries ... it was a white chili with chicken (i'm not a fan of tomato-based stuff). i asked the person for the recipe and she said she really doesn't have one ... she just throws a bunch of stuff together. here's what she said was in it:

"...chicken, onion, celery, garlic gloves, chicken broth, cilantro, cumin, black-eyed peas, northern beans, and pinto beans, salt, pepper, oregano, and Monterey jack cheese. Also, I rip up corn tortillas in the soup while it’s cooking. They dissolve, but add a good flavor."

i hate to cook, and can't do much more than toss something in the microwave. my daughter is willing to try making this if we can somehow get measurements. but she's not brave enough to just wing it. is anyone out there able to try to make a recipe out of this that we can follow?

I have a recipe for chicken chili that uses most of those ingredients. It only has one variety of beans though. I'm sure others will have better ideas for you, but if not, I will post that recipe and maybe you can start from there!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3396492;
    I have a recipe for chicken chili that uses most of those ingredients. It only has one variety of beans though. I'm sure others will have better ideas for you, but if not, I will post that recipe and maybe you can start from there!
    Assuming someone does post a recipie, it would be great (for me, at least, ) to put it in the recipie thread. I like having everything condensed in there, so that I don't have to wade through a longer thread for whatever I seek!
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3396482;
    is anyone good at creating a recipe from just a list of items? we recently had a chili cook-off at work and i absolutely LOVED one of the entries ... it was a white chili with chicken (i'm not a fan of tomato-based stuff). i asked the person for the recipe and she said she really doesn't have one ... she just throws a bunch of stuff together. here's what she said was in it:

"...chicken, onion, celery, garlic gloves, chicken broth, cilantro, cumin, black-eyed peas, northern beans, and pinto beans, salt, pepper, oregano, and Monterey jack cheese. Also, I rip up corn tortillas in the soup while itís cooking. They dissolve, but add a good flavor."

i hate to cook, and can't do much more than toss something in the microwave. my daughter is willing to try making this if we can somehow get measurements. but she's not brave enough to just wing it. is anyone out there able to try to make a recipe out of this that we can follow?

Well, the boyfriend and I make a white chicken chili, but we do it based off a seasoning packet from the grocery store.
    We use a pound or so of chicken (and it's usually more a pound and a half, whatever the package contains; chicken breast or tenders). We cut it up in small pieces and sometimes cook it alone with cumin on it. Put that in the pot with a chopped-up onion, two or three chopped cloves of garlic (more if you love garlic) and a box of broth (the one that's like twice as big as a can). Have another can or so of broth on hand in case you need it. I'd chop two or three stalks of celery, if that's what she says is in it, and add that, and simmer it with the beans and the spices (I don't like beans so don't use them in mine) and I guess the peas (also don't use peas, so I don't know if they need a shorter cooking time). I'd add water or more broth if it seemed too thick. I'd simmer that until the onions and celery seemed soft -- probably half an hour to an hour. Add cilantro at the end -- it tends to turn black if you cook it too much.

On the tortillas, I've never tried ripping up actual tortillas, but you'd probably want to give them time to dissolve. Alternatively, you can do what I do for a chicken enchilada soup -- use masa harina, the corn flour that is used to make corn tortillas. It's in the "ethnic aisle" at my grocery store. For a soup of the size I've described, take a cup of that and mix it alone with two cups water, to get out the lumps, and then pour it in the soup. It adds the corn flavor, and definitely thickens the soup, but without making it really grainy. I do that ratio with about a pound and a half of chicken and the box of chicken broth plus probably a can of it (or veggie broth).

I'd put the cheese on top, but if you want it in the soup, add it toward the end. I'd actually put some in the soup AND add some as you serve it -- I believe in cheese. ;-)

I hope that helps!
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3396482;

"...chicken, onion, celery, garlic gloves, chicken broth, cilantro, cumin, black-eyed peas, northern beans, and pinto beans, salt, pepper, oregano, and Monterey jack cheese. Also, I rip up corn tortillas in the soup while it’s cooking. They dissolve, but add a good flavor."

I've never had white chili but judging by the ingredients it sounds like something I'd love to try. I did a quick search and found a recipe that sounds similar....I'll post it on the recipes thread.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;3396495;
    Assuming someone does post a recipie, it would be great (for me, at least, ) to put it in the recipie thread. I like having everything condensed in there, so that I don't have to wade through a longer thread for whatever I seek!
    oops ... thanks for the tip. obviously i don't watch that thread. but i will now LOL

Help me please!

Tonight I decided to try baking a turkey for the first time ever. I've let it go for it' alotted time only to discover that the outside is perfect but the innermost part of the breast is still half raw. Is there any way to save it? I've turned down the heat to 300.

Also, I plan on making broth with the bones when I am done. Any good tips on stuff to add? I've just got onions, carrots and celery.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by CaliLily;3397494;
    Help me please!

Tonight I decided to try baking a turkey for the first time ever. I've let it go for it' alotted time only to discover that the outside is perfect but the innermost part of the breast is still half raw. Is there any way to save it? I've turned down the heat to 300.
    First of all -- congrats! The first time is a big task!
    This may be too late, but it's normal for the outside to finish before the inside. What we do is keep the temperature the same, but put a foil "tent" on top of the turkey to keep the outside from burning while allowing the inside to fully bake.

Also, I plan on making broth with the bones when I am done. Any good tips on stuff to add? I've just got onions, carrots and celery.
    That's perfect for making your basic broth. You'll have a lot that you can use in various soups and recipes. Keeping it simple will make your broth more versatile, and you can add other seasonings for the individual recipes.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread