+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 495 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858108 ... LastLast
Like Tree528Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

MRD

Re: General Food Talk

a couple weeks ago I had a ham and brie sandwich at a local deli and it was fabulous. It was served on a croisant.

So I bought my own croisants at the grocery bakery, some maple ham from the deli and I've been enjoying my own version
    I add a touch of dijon mustard (no mayo) and some boston lettuce and they are FABULOUS sandwiches.

I thought I would share.

I also just LOVE Boston lettuce. I think it's been YEARS since I bought plain iceberg lettuce. Growing up, salad in my house was a wedge of iceberg and some salad dressing.
    Now that you can get so many different kinds of lettuces, I've quit buying iceberg at all. I prefer the darker leafed lettuces. Especially the Boston kind.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I don't care for iceberg anymore, either. It's so tasteless compared to all the other greens you can use in a salad! I've been stuck on baby greens/spinach salads all summer. Yum.

I was wandering around that foodgawker site someone posted and ran across a blog telling how to make your own vanilla extract - and that they bought the beans on eBay, of all places. I never thought to look there, but the prices are better than my local grocery stores, which are sadly lacking in gourmet anything. With baking season coming up, I just might buy a batch of eBay beans and try them out...I'm a vanilla nut anyway.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

I prefer butter lettuce it makes a nice presentation with a scoop of tuna salad, chicken salad, shrimp salad or crab salad on top.
    Waywrd - they sell whole vanilla beans at Costco for a decent price. I found out the hard way that you have to use them up before they dry out!

Wayward, Penzy's sells vanilla beans cheaper as well. I've thought about making my own vanilla extract as well, but I can get it so cheap at Penzy's that I just use theirs. Their vanilla extract usually has a couple of vanilla beans in it as well.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3197889;
    Mods correct me if I'm wrong, but we can discuss recipes in the just recipe thread? Like the stuff that Archie wanted to know? I was under the impression it was for recipes and their discussion if people have questions about it.
    Discussing recipes here is fine, this thread is for anything food related. The reason we ask that the Recipe thread be limited to discussion of only the recipes posted is to keep it free of all the friendly chit-chat that was going on in the original thread - which made it really hard to hunt down the actual recipes. It was partly the reason why we thought there was enough interest in the subject to start this new forum so we could have multiple threads on food related topics, including this "foodie koffee klatch" thread. The "lifestyle" part was to allow related topics that included more than just food.

MRD

Thanks Marleybone. I know that if someone posts a recipe and there is a question about it or an adjustment to it, it makes more sense to have it in the just recipe thread as someone may miss the discussion about the recipe (like reducing the water in the pot roast) if they only look at the recipe thread and not this one.

I know that sometimes I have questions about a recipe someone posts, so we can indeed ask for a clarification of an ingredient or a way to possible change things if we need too in the Just Recipe thread?

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3198422;
    I know that sometimes I have questions about a recipe someone posts, so we can indeed ask for a clarification of an ingredient or a way to possible change things if we need too in the Just Recipe thread?
    Absolutely. When I started the thread I asked to keep the discussion limited to the recipes that are posted in the thread, which would include any questions you might have, if you are looking for a certain recipe and want to ask if anyone has it, or even to give feedback on someone's recipe that you tried. I didn't mean that it was for posting recipes only and that you couldn't talk about them. The point was to keep it better organized so the actual recipes would stand out and be easy to find, and to have these other threads so we wouldn't go off on a tangent in the recipe thread, which we often did in the old one. It's all good.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 09-16-2008 at 01:53 AM.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;3198847;
    Absolutely. When I started the thread I asked to keep the discussion limited to the recipes that are posted in the thread, which would include any questions you might have, if you are looking for a certain recipe and want to ask if anyone has it, or even to give feedback on someone's recipe that you tried. I didn't mean that it was for posting recipes only and that you couldn't talk about them. The point was to keep it better organized so the actual recipes would stand out and be easy to find, and to have these other threads so we wouldn't go off on a tangent in the recipe thread, which we often did in the old one. It's all good.
    I must say that I love this new format and the new threads that have opened up are great too. The wine discussion one is a prime example.

Last night I baked some chicken for dinner and had my neighbors over. Without mr buglover I'm feeling needy to serve food to people! I keep saying, I'm in need of being needed right now. It was delicious chicken, nothing fancy but really good.
    Yup, with donuts!!

With all the talk about crock pots/slow cookers around here, I was inspired, so I just ordered one online! I paid a little extra and got the one where I can brown the meat on the stove right in the pot itself, too, so fewer dishes! I'm excited for it to arrive!

+ Reply to Thread