+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 485 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757107 ... LastLast
Like Tree497Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Garden and Gun???!!! That's kind of sick and wrong, yet strangely appealing. I'm tempted to look for a copy (though I have no idea where around here!) simply to put on my coffee table for laughs -- along with my Easter troll doll with the cotton-ball tail and fuzzy bunny slippers.

Totally unrelated note to those with access to Trader Joe's:
    Run -- don't walk -- RUN! -- to the nearest TJ's and try the dark-chocolate covered chili-spiced dried mangoes (on the "new products" shelf and the other shelves with chocolates and cookies). I recommend pairing it with a full-bodied red wine.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Pumpkin Spice Bread layered with a rich Maple Cheesecake ribbon.
    Whoa.

I need to spend some more time on that foodgawker site, but I can't stop staring at this and drooling!
    Wag more, bark less

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3197145;
    Garden and Gun???!!! That's kind of sick and wrong, yet strangely appealing. I'm tempted to look for a copy (though I have no idea where around here!) simply to put on my coffee table for laughs -- along with my Easter troll doll with the cotton-ball tail and fuzzy bunny slippers.

Totally unrelated note to those with access to Trader Joe's:
    Run -- don't walk -- RUN! -- to the nearest TJ's and try the dark-chocolate covered chili-spiced dried mangoes (on the "new products" shelf and the other shelves with chocolates and cookies). I recommend pairing it with a full-bodied red wine.
    Yeah, someone else sent me that link and the first thing I said was: "Garden and Gun?" WHOA, that's a new one. Let me know if you find a copy. Why do I feel that I can probably find that easier here than you can and if so I'll send you a copy.

I want a Trader Joe's. However, I will be SO close to Fresh Market when we move and to a nice BIG Publix. I love Publix but the one we live to now I refer to as the baby Publix as it's so small. I will be so happy to have not only several good grocery stores nearby, but my daughter is going to be in Heaven as the Pita House, her favorite restaurant will also be close. And there are also several Indian resturants close too which I will be happy about.

And the ubiquitous Chick-fil-a will be right up the street.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I didn't want to post this in the "Just Recipes" because it's a question about a recipe but I don't have one to post myself. So is this the right place?

I made the "To Die For Pot Roast" tonight and it was very good! I added carrots right from the beginning and slow cooked it for 7 1/2 hours but they (the carrots) didn't get mushy enough for me. But the roast was really good.

Anyway, I thought maybe one cup of water was too much so I was wondering if 1/2 a cup would do? I did some online research and some sites say 1/2 cup and others list 1 cup. Also I didn't mix the seasonings with the water (I mixed them all up together dry though) because a few sites had it where you put the dry seasonings on the roast and then add the water. It turned out well that way. I'm guessing by everyone's response to their success with the meal that mixing the water and seasonings together is just as good? I made rice in the rice cooker and we ate it over the rice. All in all a very good and filling meal.

But my main question is if it's okay to reduce the water. Plus I was thinking of experimenting with different seasoning blends. I found a garlic and herb dry mix and thought that might be good to try.

I will definitely be adding this meal to my "regulars" though. And maybe next time just cook the carrots separately? I cut them up small but maybe not small enough?
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Why do I have to dislike carrots....but really like carrot cake?
    Life can be sooo unfair!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3197369;
    Yeah, someone else sent me that link and the first thing I said was: "Garden and Gun?" WHOA, that's a new one. Let me know if you find a copy. Why do I feel that I can probably find that easier here than you can and if so I'll send you a copy.

I want a Trader Joe's. . .
    If I can't find the magazine (likely), we'll have to PM -- I'll trade you some TJ's yummies for a "G&G" -- it'll make a funny coffee-table conversation piece!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3197853;
    If I can't find the magazine (likely), we'll have to PM -- I'll trade you some TJ's yummies for a "G&G" -- it'll make a funny coffee-table conversation piece!
    Garden & Gun Magazine: Soul of the New South

It's also available at Amazon.

I may have to order some subscriptions to that magazine. Easy Christmas shopping!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

You know, I was actually thinking of getting a subscription to that. I did find a copy here (Big surprise). Ellen if you want one, I will be happy to send you one. Let me know by PM. But after going to their website and reading it and then finding a copy, I actualy thought it was a pretty cool magazine. Kind of a more hip version of Southern Living.
    It's not as "backwater, hicksville" as I thought it would be.

Apparantly I was the LAST person to know about this magazine I guess as there were a bunch of staff talking about it in the museum yesterday and the final word? "ONLY in the South".

As for the To Die For Pot Roast. When something like that cooks in the crockpot, I don't think it makes a difference how you mix the seasonings and the water, etc.

I put roast in, dumped in the seasoning packets and dumped in the water and turned it on. I never even stirred it and by the end of the cooking time, everything had mixed well.

I am sure you could reduce the water to 1/2 cup with no trouble. I found that the flavor of the juice was a tad TOO strong for making gravy afterwards, so I actually added water to my gravy along with the juice from the meat and it was perfect.

If you want the carrots more cooked next time, just cut them smaller.

Mods correct me if I'm wrong, but we can discuss recipes in the just recipe thread? Like the stuff that Archie wanted to know? I was under the impression it was for recipes and their discussion if people have questions about it.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3197889;
    Mods correct me if I'm wrong, but we can discuss recipes in the just recipe thread? Like the stuff that Archie wanted to know? I was under the impression it was for recipes and their discussion if people have questions about it.
    I was thinking that too but wasn't sure. Thanks for the advice on cutting the carrots smaller. I'll try that next time. I think too if I cut the water back I might only use half the seasonings too.

I really wish we had a Trader Joe's. I don't even know where the closest one is. I'll have to google and see. We have a Fresh Market but not Whole Foods. Do they sell pretty much the same thing?
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;3197907;
    I was thinking that too but wasn't sure. Thanks for the advice on cutting the carrots smaller. I'll try that next time. I think too if I cut the water back I might only use half the seasonings too.

I really wish we had a Trader Joe's. I don't even know where the closest one is. I'll have to google and see. We have a Fresh Market but not Whole Foods. Do they sell pretty much the same thing?
    Yes and No. Fresh Market is smaller. They don't have the extensive cheese and prepared food section that Whole Foods has (LOVE Whole Foods 7 layer dip and their hummus flavors). I find Fresh Market less expensive than Whole Foods too.

I wish we had a Trader Joe's too.

+ Reply to Thread