+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 496 FirstFirst ... 19596061626364656667686970717273747576777879119169 ... LastLast
Like Tree533Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

FoRTer

Re: General Food Talk

and the store locator on their website won't even show any listings for CA... weird.

I've not been to either chain, but have plans to visit the Trader Joe's later this year (yes, sad that I have plans for a grocery visit... I know). Now that I've read about ALDI, and see that there's one in a town nearby, I may check it out as well.
    Last edited by coltnlasma; 02-19-2009 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3335862;
    and the store locator on their website won't even show any listings for CA... weird.
    Really? It does on mine . . . Trader Joe's that is.

Or do you mean the Wal-Mart-esque ALDI's? Because that's a different brother, and, to my knowledge, we don't have those here. At least not in San Diego.
    Last edited by Ellen; 02-19-2009 at 11:10 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3335867;
    Or do you mean the Wal-Mart-esque ALDI's? Because that's a different brother, and, to my knowledge, we don't have those here. At least not in San Diego.
    I believe the marginal neighborhood comment was referencing Aldi's also, not Trader Joe's.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Aldi's does not look very attractive/inviting from the outside. It looks like "below basic", if you ask me. Maybe they need a makeover.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FoRTer

Yep, Ellen, I meant ALDI's... I think I misinterpreted your earlier post to mean they did have stores in the areas you listed (so then I thought, "wow, I must have a really out-dated idea of their stores", so I went to check out their website... yada, yada, yada... I am boring myself with my story at this point).

Funny thing I read on their (ALDI's) site: you need a quarter to rent a shopping cart, they only accept cash and PIN debit cards, and if you don't bring your own bags they will charge you at checkout for theirs. Guess they don't mess around when it comes to budget shopping.

The .25 for the shopping cart is so you'll return them to the front of the store. You get your .25 back when you put the cart back in the corral by the front door. This cuts down on labor costs as they don't have to spend as much time in the lot gathering the carts.

Yeah one time my mom was returning her cart to the front of the store. A younger man (mom is 81) came up to her in the parking lot and asked her for her cart. Mom was actually quick thinking and said to him, "Do you have your quarter?" LOL I think the guy was probably trying to get out of having to put a quarter in to get a cart and tried to take advantage of a lil' ol' lady!

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3335959;
    Funny thing I read on their (ALDI's) site: you need a quarter to rent a shopping cart, they only accept cash and PIN debit cards, and if you don't bring your own bags they will charge you at checkout for theirs. Guess they don't mess around when it comes to budget shopping.
    as someone else mentioned, this is to cut their costs, which helps them offer their items for such low prices.

we used to shop at aldi's all the time and bagging my own groceries and the other things you mention are well worth it in my mind. our aldi's store is clean and smack dab in the middle of the regular retail section of town ... and usually very busy.

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3336159;
    as someone else mentioned, this is to cut their costs, which helps them offer their items for such low prices.

we used to shop at aldi's all the time and bagging my own groceries and the other things you mention are well worth it in my mind. our aldi's store is clean and smack dab in the middle of the regular retail section of town ... and usually very busy.

We just discovered Aldi's when they opened up two stores here about six months ago. They are clean and nice and in "popular" parts of our city. We buy basic food items there (get meat and produce at local places) and we have saved a lot of money too. I'm happy to bag my own groceries - I make it home with unsmashed bread!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

FoRTer

Yes, I'm just glad I read the info on ALDI's website before visiting the store... seems like it might be a bit difficult to shop there if I weren't prepared.

+ Reply to Thread