+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 480 FirstFirst ... 17575859606162636465666768697071727374757677117167 ... LastLast
Like Tree483Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3321144;
    I've now learned that I like/make California style chili.
    Me too! Even when I lived in Milwaukee. It must've been destiny that I live here!

BTW, I think the secret to cocoa in chili or other spicy Latin stuff is that a little goes a long way. A good rounded tablespoon to a huge pot is perfect, or likewise, a teaspoon to a medium saucepan.

I've had similar dishes where the cook must've gone by the philosophy of "if a little is good, then a ton must be great" (like Paula Deen with butter and heavy cream ) -- because those turned out pretty crappy.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You know, my people are from N'awleans, and I wonder if they even make chili there and, if they do, how they work it. I'm all into the gumbo and jamabalya, and WILL beat you up over that! Not only did I learn to eat the flavors in my family, but I really believe that my tastebuds got their start in my genetics!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3321206;
    . . . I think the secret to cocoa in chili or other spicy Latin stuff is that a little goes a long way. A good rounded tablespoon to a huge pot is perfect, or likewise, a teaspoon to a medium saucepan.

I've had similar dishes where the cook must've gone by the philosophy of "if a little is good, then a ton must be great" . . .
    Clarification: By "similar dishes," I meant the spicy ones made with too much cocoa. In those cases, the results weren't too good.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3321236;
    You know, my people are from N'awleans, and I wonder if they even make chili there and, if they do, how they work it. I'm all into the gumbo and jamabalya, and WILL beat you up over that! Not only did I learn to eat the flavors in my family, but I really believe that my tastebuds got their start in my genetics!
    Just the other day, my students (French adults) and I were talking about the different kinds of "spicy," for example: Mexican, New Orleans, Thai, Indian, Ethiopian, etc. -- and how each type of "hot" was different because of either different types of peppers or other herbs and spices used, like jalapeño vs. habañero vs. cayenne enhanced with cocoa or cinnamon or cumin and other stuff. We were all hungry afterwards! It was a cold day, and the idea of spicy comfort stew of just about any ethnicity kept sounding better and better!
    Last edited by Ellen; 02-14-2009 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3319724;
    Tonight we are having a Cuban Carnivale: Cuban pork roast in mojo, yellow rice, black beans and maduros (fried plantains). I can't wait. If only I had authentic Cuban bread which you cannot get up here.
    I don't suppose there are left-overs you can share?

You know, there is nothing sadder than seeing an adult who has never gotten over chicken fingers and other kid foods.....and will not order anything else. I know a woman with 3 children who is in that category. The interesting part is that her eldest daughter loves vegetables.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3321580;
    I don't suppose there are left-overs you can share?
    There were leftovers of everything but the plantains. Those went fast. I cooked the black beans all afternoon and they were divine. The pork was good too. But I like the beans and plantains the best. Wish I had had cuban bread, but no such animal here.

So come on over and I'll give you some leftover pork roast.

Shay, I'm with you on that one. The other thing that bothers me is the people that absolutely refuse to even try something else. Ok, you may not like it, but at least try it. I've tried stuff that I ended up loving. And expanding my palete. But if all you ever eat is chicken fingers, hamburgers and mac and cheese, then I feel sorry for you because you are missing out on SO very much.

I'm so glad my parents used to take me places and make me try new things. Because of my parents, by the time I was 12, I was eating ethnic foods, gourmet foods and raw oysters. They expanded my palete beyond hamburgers and pizza.
    Last edited by MRD; 02-14-2009 at 10:12 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I've not been able to take myself to "raw oyster land" yet, but I ADORE snails!! (Of course, they're not eaten raw, either.)

Couldn't make myself eat crawdads while I was in N'Awleans, either. Really wanted to, though.

My parents were like that. Never tried anything new. When they went to a restaurant, they ALWAYS ordered chicken. And that's fried chicken. None of that "weird" stuff with sauce on it. My mother was in her 60's the first time she ate a taco!! And veggies? If it wasn't green beans, peas, carrots or corn, we didn't eat it. I was 18 years old the first time I tried Shrimp. And never ate chinese food until I was in my 20's.

Now, I love experimenting with new recipes. I try a new recipe at least once a week. I have even learned to make excellent chinese food.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3321711;
    Shay, I'm with you on that one. The other thing that bothers me is the people that absolutely refuse to even try something else. Ok, you may not like it, but at least try it. I've tried stuff that I ended up loving. And expanding my palete. But if all you ever eat is chicken fingers, hamburgers and mac and cheese, then I feel sorry for you because you are missing out on SO very much.

I'm so glad my parents used to take me places and make me try new things. Because of my parents, by the time I was 12, I was eating ethnic foods, gourmet foods and raw oysters. They expanded my palete beyond hamburgers and pizza.
    I'm with you guys. In my family, you had to taste everything at least once (and not just a teeny bite either) and if you really didn't like it, you didn't have to eat it again. I had a co-worker who wouldn't try anything new. We were in SF once and she couldn't agree to eating at any restaurant I suggested....in one of the best culinary cities in the world! We ended up at a Sizzler She once told me that she didn't like beets. I asked her if she'd tried fresh roasted beets, because they're completely different from canned beets. She replied that she'd never actually eaten beets, because they just look weird . My response: "Have you ever seen a potato?"

I must have had a pretty progressive preschool because we were always trying new foods. I came home one day - at 4 years old - and announced that I wanted artichokes for dinner!

My philosophy about food is that, with a few exceptions, people don't eat things that taste bad. There are a few things I won't eat, but I generally try everything. I'm not a fan of oysters either, shay. I think it's the texture. I love escargot too! For the most part, the things I won't eat are less the flavor than about what they actually are, like organ meats or tongue. I won't ever eat lobster again after seeing them cooked. I prefer crab anyway....and I haven't ever seen them prepared!

ETA: Oh! I have the best lunch today! My boss took me out to eat and I had a crab melt with Gruyère cheese and artichoke I totally blew my diet today. I even had an apple crisp and vanilla bean ice cream. I'll probably have to eat a carrot stick for dinner, but it was worth it!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread