+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 496 FirstFirst ... 16565758596061626364656667686970717273747576116166 ... LastLast
Like Tree533Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I made a HUGE pot of spicy turkey chili for our fundraising luncheon at work. I added 1 heaping tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder and I really liked what it did to my chili. It was richer and less acidic, but it didn't cut down on the spiciness at all. Excellent tip, Ellen!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

OK.....all of you COCOA-NUTS!!!!
    Doesn't Skyline Chili make their chili with cocoa in it?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm pretty sure they do - cocoa and cinnamon.
    *which is why we don't let the dog have leftover skyline.

I had Skyline chili many years ago and . I haven't had it since, and I am a chili nut!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I love skyline chili, we have it about once a week (for like 25years) - still my favorite. but then I don't like most other 'standard' chilis.

MRD

What's skyline chili???
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Cincinnati-style chili. Not your typical chili. It's an acquired taste (I acquired it).
    Skyline or Goldstar are the 2 main Cincinnati style chili places around here (which is about 40 milies north of Cincinnati)

Hard to descibe

from wikipedia

Skyline Chili is unique in that it is not chili con carne, the meat dish that originated in (and is the state dish of) Texas. Neither is it a Chili-based stew with beans and tomatoes such as is California-style chili. Instead, Cincinnati-style chili is a sauce usually used over spaghetti or hot dogs, containing a unique blend of spices that gives it a very distinct taste. Officially, the recipe for Skyline Chili is a well-kept family secret among Lambrinides' surviving children. However, many Skyline patrons and Cincinnatians believe that the unique taste of Skyline Chili comes from chocolate and cinnamon,[citation needed] spices common in Greek cuisine's meat dishes. The general recipe is not unique to Skyline — "Cincinnati-style" chili is sold by several chili parlors in the area including Empress, Dixie, Gold Star Chili, Camp Washington, and other chili parlors.

MRD

Oh, thanks. I may not have had skyline but I have had a similar type of chili. Normally we get the Texas style, but I have had the other style and I like both.
    We ate at a sports bar the other night and they had nachos with chili. I thought it looked REALLY good. But I ordered a sandwich instead. Wish I had gotten the nachos now. Will have to go back. It was rather inexpensive food and very good. We'd never eaten there before.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Skyline Chili Nachos are the bomb. They sell them at the Blue Jackets hockey games here. I don't think they sell them at the restaurants.

I've now learned that I like/make California style chili. You all can have my portion of Skyline chili, many times over, forever and ever. Amen.

+ Reply to Thread