+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 485 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374114164 ... LastLast
Like Tree497Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I love using chocolate now as a spice. It adds depth to spicy Latin American dishes. I haven't done so yet, but I want to try unsweetened cocoa as a beverage. I mean, I ALWAYS drink coffee unsweetened, so how different could cocoa be? Maybe I'd do like I do with coffee and add a splash of soymilk. Maybe I'd go Aztec/Mayan and add some cayenne. But I think if I prefer coffee unsweetened anyway, maybe I'd like cocoa the same way if I approach it in that way, without the "candy" expectations. I'll let you know the results when I do it!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I gave my, then, husband a 5 pound Hershey bar one year! Another year, I gave him a solid chocolate butt. There was a neat little store that made chocolate body parts (you imagine it, and they had it), and he always was a butt man.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3310881;
    I gave my, then, husband a 5 pound Hershey bar one year! Another year, I gave him a solid chocolate butt. There was a neat little store that made chocolate body parts (you imagine it, and they had it), and he always was a butt man.
    What man doesn't appreciate a good piece of...chocolate.

I had a colleague whose PhD was in ethnobotany and her specialty was chocolate. She actually taught classes in the ethnobotany of chocolate at the university here. I never got to take her course because she moved out of the area. She said there was lots of tasting of various types of chocolate in her classes, which sounded pretty good to me! Ironically, she doesn't like chocolate!

I'll have to try adding chocolate to my next pot of chili. I've heard it's really good, but never tried it.

We got one of those big Hershey's Kisses in a box of swag at work. It was actually kind of a pain to eat, since it would splinter when you tried to cut it. Still tasted great though
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

That's weird that her specialty is chocolate but she doesn't like it.

I found out that there are so many different kinds of beans and they blend them like they do coffee to get different flavors, but that most of the beans made for most commercial candy in the US is the very cheapest kind of bean and they add a lot of stuff to it to make it taste good.

Godiva and companies like that use the more expensive beans and the bean blends.

Ellen, let us know how the unsweetened hot chocolate experiement goes. I love hot chocolate, but it doesn't love me. I have a problem with milk, so it's not really the chocolate as it is the milk.

I used to drink hot chocolate with a shot of Buttershots in it. Talk about fabulous on a cold day. Also Grand Marnier added to hot chocolate is good too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I work with a woman who says she has a friend to whom all chocolate tastes like mud. Question: How would he know unless he had tasted mud? Never heard of anything like that before.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I ate mud as a child. That's probably why I'm a little off!

I've often thought that bitter chocolate tastes like dirt.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Thanks for the info about chocolate, mrd! I love that kind of history.

MRD

I'm getting a reputation at the museum for lecturing on food. First Southern Cooking, then Military rations and now chocolate.

I bought olives and cream cheese today and am going to make olive spread. Since Doxie mentioned it, I've been craving it and the deviled ham. This could be a bad week for me.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3311624;
    I ate mud as a child. That's probably why I'm a little off!

I've often thought that bitter chocolate tastes like dirt.
    I Ate Sand from my sandbox!!! The only way my grandparents knew was because when I'd go to the bathroom, before you learn to take care of yourself when you're finished (if you know what I mean), the evidence was there! And they ratted me out to my mother! :nono

They had a cow because it was way before they put lids on sandboxes, and there's always that cat issue to be concerned about!

+ Reply to Thread