+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 495 FirstFirst ... 13535455565758596061626364656667686970717273113163 ... LastLast
Like Tree530Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

About the eggs, I'm not sure I'd chance it. If you're feeling the need to ask, I'd say dump them.

When in doubt......yada, yada, yada.......
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I was joking, I would never use raw eggs that sat out for more than 10 minutes.

MRD

Actually, they sell eggs at the Farmer's market here that are not refrigerated and I've bought them and no one got sick.
    But if these came from the store, they've been refrigerated, so I wouldn't chance it.

That would be the Billy Bob Thornton character, Carl in that movie.

Hey, we always say: "parts is parts".
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I made a tomato-based, spicy turkey-and-bean chili last week -- my usual "throw together without a recipe" stuff. Then, as a what-the-hell, I added a heaping tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder. (Nigella did it on one of her shows; I didn't want to use her recipe, but figured it would fit well with my non-recipe.) It was the best my chili ever turned out. The cocoa powder was undetectable as cocoa, as it didn't taste chocolaty at all: it just added some depth and complexity, and made the ground turkey seem "beefy."
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

the chili recipe that my daughter makes calls for a small amount of cocoa also, and we never understood why. but it tastes good.

MRD

Ah, I can answer that. I am doing a history of chocolate at the museum this week.
    Cacoa beans are from Mexico and latin America. The Mayas and Aztecs used them. So being from there, the indigeneous people used cacoa beans-chocolate to cook with. Chocolate as we know it with sugar and in candy, didn't happen until the late 19th century. Before that, it was a drink, but in Latin America, they did not sweeten it. The Europeans are the ones that added sugar. So it's not surprising that a lot of latin dishes use cocoa powder in their dishes. It is a local ingredient.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

interesting ... thanks for the info. and let us know how your presentation goes

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

OK, that just sounds totally awful. But if somebody would make it, I would try it.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3310580;
    Ah, I can answer that. I am doing a history of chocolate at the museum this week.
    Cacoa beans are from Mexico and latin America. The Mayas and Aztecs used them. So being from there, the indigeneous people used cacoa beans-chocolate to cook with. Chocolate as we know it with sugar and in candy, didn't happen until the late 19th century. Before that, it was a drink, but in Latin America, they did not sweeten it. The Europeans are the ones that added sugar. So it's not surprising that a lot of latin dishes use cocoa powder in their dishes. It is a local ingredient.
    Since beans are vegetables, chocolate is a vegetable. GREAT, now I can add "cacoa-cacoa bean" cake to my list of fresh veggies if eaten the first day it's made!

I always learn something new from your posts MRD, THANKS!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3310636;
    OK, that just sounds totally awful. But if somebody would make it, I would try it.
    Shay, it's really good. The cocoa adds a depth of flavor. Since its not sweet, it has a really different flavor than you'd think from eating chocolate.
    The cocoa becomes a spice like chili powder.

Yes, chocolate is a vegetable Pugmom, so make sure you get your 5 servings of veggies a day.

Did you know that it also has 300 natural chemicals in it? Caffiene is just one. And that some of the others work on our brain receptors like marijuana and amphetimines do. But it's safe. It just works LIKE those things. So there is an actual feeling of euphoria from eating chocolate. Which explains why we eat so much of it and we we can actually be addicted to it. And you know it has antioxidant qualities so it's good for us.

Americans eat about 12 pounds a year compared to the Swiss, but the US leads the world in production of chocolate candy. And chocolate candy outsells other candy 2 to 1. Also Halloween, Christmas, Easter and Valentine's Day are the 4 top holidays for candy buying in order of how I listed them.

Oh and 36 million heart shaped boxes of Valentine's Candy are sold each year. But there are 90 million chocolate bunnies sold each year at Easter.

I actually learned a lot. Like 400 million M&M's are produced EVERY day. 24 million Hershey's kisses are produced everyday. And M&M's were first produced for the military. The candy coating kept the chocolate from melting.
    Also they stopped production of Hershey's kisses during WWII because of the need to ration aluminum.

Sorry you asked now huh?

This was actually a fun (and sometimes boring. Chocolate cultivation and production, not so fun) thing to work on. I also tied in the history of Valentine's Day.

When I get a chance, I'll post it to my blog here if anyone is interested in reading it.

+ Reply to Thread