+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 474 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566676869109159 ... LastLast
Like Tree449Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I not only use mayo in my chicken salad, I also use a block of cream cheese -- and then just a half cup of mayo or so to make it a little softer. I use low fat or no-fat cream cheese and low-fat mayo, and I, too, am picky about getting all the nasty bits out of the chicken. I mix it all up with dill and finely diced onion, and sometimes some diced celery.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Oooh, Livin4reality, I love cocoa on vanilla ice cream! I usually will mix in a little pancake syrup though - my sweet tooth is way too strong. Do any of you scrambled egg eaters ever sprinkle them with cumin? That on toast with a little mayo is my favorite breakfast. (I realize I'm over-posting here... I think my over-interest in food is showing.)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Miracle Whip and Mayo are not the same things; Kraft does make a Mayo. Where I'm from Miracle Whip is sometimes called "salad dressing", but not the same thing as the traditional salad dressings.

I love the iceberg lettuce in my 7 layer salad, and I like it on sandwiches, but when I make a salad at the salad bar, I mainly use the spinach, maybe supplementing with just a little iceberg lettuce. I adore Romaine lettuce!

I'd try a piece of an egg salad sandwich, but I'm not about to make it. I could be pleasantly surprised. Or I could be as offended as I was by the taste of that chicken salad with the raisins and the walnuts(?) in it. Eeewww, eeewww, eeewww...!! But at least I did try it before I decided that it was intolerable in my mouth.

I can't imagine cutting the sweetness in my ice cream!!! That's right up there with putting salt on ice cream....totally un-American!!! But if it works for you, you have my best wishes!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3303512;
    Missyboxers, I don’t like butter either. I’ll bake/cook with it if a recipe calls for it, but nothing else… but I’m weird because I’m the same way with salt (don’t like popcorn or potato chips because of it).

Don’t our tastebuds/food preferences change every so many years, or does that only happen during childhood development?
    They change as adults too. There is stuff I eat now that I didn't used to eat and stuff I no longer like that I used too. Spagetti with red sauce is an example of that.

Livin, I put peanut butter on waffles. I don't eat syrup, so I put jelly on pancakes and peanut butter on waffles, but mostly I just eat both with butter on them. Or I like to roll up link sausage or bacon in my pancakes for a sandwich. Everyone thinks I'm weird as I don't eat syrup and never have. I use it in some recipes, but I just don't like it plain.

Prhoshay do you like deviled eggs? Or hard boiled eggs? Egg salad the way I make it is just chopped up hard boiled eggs with mayo, a touch of mustard and salt and pepper. My deviled eggs I do the same way.

I make chicken salad with chicken, celery and red seedless grapes cut in half. Mayo, salt and pepper and that's it. I really like it with either walnuts or pecans in it, but my family doesn't, so it depends on whom I'm making it for if I include the nuts.

Miracle Whip and mayo are definetly not the same. Miracle whip is too sweet for me. I think that's why I like Duke's mayo as it is the ONLY may not made with added sugar.

If any of you have Publix stores, check them out today. I don't know if the sale is at all of them or just in my area. I got a whole pork tenderlion for $18.06. I had the butcher make it into 2 roasts and a whole BUNCH of boneless chops. I think the price is $1.69 which as you all know is CHEAP for that cut of pork. I could afford to stock my freezer on this price. But the sale ends today.

I am also officially in love with Fresh Market coffee. At Christmas, they had a christmas blend that was too die for and I found out today that it's just their Creamy french vanilla beans combined with cinnomon hazlenut. I also have been loving their Valentine's flavor: chocolate raspberry kiss. But they were out of the decaf brand of that today which is how I found out I could combine beans to make the Christmas blend I like better. I only drink decaf anymore. Caffinated coffee has been sending me into panic attacks. But I love coffee.

I could easily be the Ellen of Fresh Market , but that store is so dangerous. I went in for coffee and good bread to make panini's with and left with WAY more than I should have. But I also really like their apple and buttenut squash soup and their lemon orzo pasta salad.

Oh and for ice cream, I add Hershey's chocolate syrup to my vanilla, so definetly not cutting the sweetness. Just adding to it.
    Last edited by MRD; 02-04-2009 at 11:14 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3303539;
    Does anybody put unsweetened cocoa on their vanilla ice cream? I got that one from my Grandpa. It cuts down on the sweetness of the ice cream and you get chocolate.

Or put peanut butter on their pancakes?
    I have never met anything too sweet. Especially ice cream!

I stir in a tablespoon of peanut butter to my vanilla yogurt every morning! YUM!

Hi Everyone Im new here but for those of you who like hot stuff, I spinkle tabasco sauce on my popcorn with a little lawrys season salt.
    And to give your sour cream a kick , Add some Franks hot sauce to it , its great on taco salads ond other mexican food.
    I love this topic, its a nice change from the reality stars
    Last edited by LucaBellaBlue; 02-04-2009 at 11:24 AM. Reason: spelling

I love Frank's Hot sauce!!! I've been known to put some in the ranch dressing for our salads! Yummy!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

I love Louisiana Hot sauce. Bought a bottle today.

Pugmom, I too have never met anything too sweet. Unfortunately.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You know, I meant to mention that I love deviled eggs, but I'm spooked by the idea of egg salad.

And I like my ice cream PURE, although I do enjoy the rare hot fudge sundae! Probably have't had one in 20 years.

I mis-remembered the chicken salad. It had grapes in it, like you mentioned, not raisins, and probably, pecans. Either way, .

I can hardly stand to look at that carrot salad with raisins stuff that you used to see. Do they still make that?

I'm a Frank's red hot sauce girl, too!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

yes they still make carrot and raisen salad. I like it occasionally. I'm not hugely fond of it, but I don't mind it.

I love that broccali salad with the raisens and bacon and can't remember what all else it has in it. I thought I'd hate it as I'm not a huge raisen fan, but that stuff is incredible.

And I have not met a salad (egg, ham, chicken, pimento cheese) that I did not think tasted better on Saltines than on bread.

+ Reply to Thread