+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 496 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768108158 ... LastLast
Like Tree533Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3302954;
    Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips!

I had to think really hard on that one and dig really deep. I think I even smell smoke now.
    I used to work for Arthur Treacher's during the 70's. That's how I ended up in Columbus from Cleveland as I got transferred to the home office.

MRD

Where were you while I was burning up neurons trying to remember Arthur Treachers?

Ah, so that's how you ended up where you are. I used to love their fish and chips. I'm assuming they definetly went out of business. I miss Lum's restaurants too.

Well I ate my last sugar free dark chocolate raspberry jello pudding last night (only 60 calories) and I didn't go to the store to get more and now I am jonsing for my nightly chocolate fix. I could really devour some chocolate. And there is NOTHING in this house that would substitute. I need to make sure I go to the store tomorrow. I even drank the last of the Chocolate flavored coffee, so I can't even make a cup of coffee to satisfy my craving.

I guess I will just have to eat a Clementine and be happy. Well maybe not happy. Maybe healthier, but not happier.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

There are still a few of them around.

Welcome to Arthur Treachers, Pudgies Famous Chicken

Shay, I feel the same way about egg salad. My mom is picky about certain things, one of them being (I think) eggs and mayo (since we don't put eggs in potato salad either), and we picked up some of her tastes, including that one. And count me into the crowd who will only eat chicken salad from a trustworthy kitchen.

I loooove steak, sauce or no. Sometimes we rub it down with salt and pepper or herbes de provence beforehand, and then it's really good plain.

I also love sour stuff, so I use vinegar (sometimes too) liberally. And I love lemons, and use those often. And vinegar on fries is another good combo that I had forgotten. Ketchup or vinegar and salt.

But I don't really like potatoes unless there's something to mask the taste (or give them flavor, as I see it) and same goes for chicken. I also don't like butter unless I can't taste it. So I'll bake with butter and so forth, but I don't put it on baked potatoes, bagels, English muffins, etc. Toast and bread are the exceptions, and that's mostly for the salt.

I also don't really like lettuce or celery, so I always drown my salads in dressing in an attempt to mask the flavor. And I usually only eat homemade salads or salads from good restaurants as I know I'm anal about washing lettuce, but can never be sure about others.

Basically, I like sweet, spicy, salty, tangy, sour, etc... I just can't stand bland. Or root vegetables.

Arthur Treacher -- I remember him! He was the Ed McMahon of the Merv Griffin Show.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3302913;
    How can you NOT love egg salad? It is only the 2nd best thing next to pimento cheese for a sandwich filling. Third choice? Underwood Deviled ham and mayo. I LOVE olive spread on sandwiches too. I just bought some olives and cream cheese so I could make some.
    I second that! I LOVE egg salad.

There's a sandwich shop in my hometown that is known for unusual combinations and sandwiches named after celebrities/figures in history or biblical locations/figures. Their egg salad - the East of Eden - is one of my favorites. It sounds weird, but it's really good: Egg salad (low mayo) in a pita with cheddar cheese, alfalfa sprouts, sliced black olives, sliced mushrooms and tomatoes. One of my other faves is the Bath Sheba: turkey, ham, cream cheese, avocado, tomato and sprouts on pita.

I found one of their menus in my files and am laughing at the names of the sandwiches - they're SO 70's! There's the Archie Bunker (roast beef, ham, swiss and tomato on a bagel), the Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman (cream cheese, pimento, chopped olives, alfalfa sprouts and avocado on pita) and the Flip Wilson (salami, cream cheese and tomato on pumpernickel). There's also the Tom Selleck, which is ham, cream cheese and pineapple on (what else?) Hawaiian bread!

I actually don't know if they're even still open, but I've kept the menu for all these years because they had so many great combos.

When I make my own egg salad, it has to be Miracle Whip (it's my mid-western roots!) and sweet relish. I used to love my fries with mayo, but I gave that up when my metabolism screeched to a halt around 25!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

It may be because I'm really hungry but all of those sandwiches sound so good.

I always add a little bit of relish to my tuna salad and my egg salad I make the same way I make deviled eggs with dry mustard and paprika.

MRD

Critical those sandwiches sound great. I LOVE alfafa sprouts. Jimmy Johns subs has a sandwich with avocado, turkey, cheese, sprouts and other stuff. I love a turkey or roast beef sandwich with alfafa sprouts on it.

Missyboxers, I'm not a huge lettuce fan either unless it's on a sandwich, but I do like lettuce rollups. I"m just not a fan of tossed salads I guess unless it has lots of other stuff like cheese and olives, grilled chicken, chopped egg, etc.. I don't care for tomatos in salads, and iceberg lettuce I really hate, so like you, I drown the salad in dressing.

NO Miracle Whip. Give me Duke's or Give me Hellman's.

I'm now thinking of making soup as it's a balmy 17 here right now and getting a loaf of ciabatta bread and making a big sandwich to go along with the soup tonight. I feel a trip to Fresh Market coming on.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FoRTer

Missyboxers, I donít like butter either. Iíll bake/cook with it if a recipe calls for it, but nothing elseÖ but Iím weird because Iím the same way with salt (donít like popcorn or potato chips because of it).

Donít our tastebuds/food preferences change every so many years, or does that only happen during childhood development?

Does anybody put unsweetened cocoa on their vanilla ice cream? I got that one from my Grandpa. It cuts down on the sweetness of the ice cream and you get chocolate.

Or put peanut butter on their pancakes?
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

+ Reply to Thread