+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 496 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667107157 ... LastLast
Like Tree533Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

FORT Fogey

Re: General Food Talk

Uncle Dan's Dressing on Baked potatoes and A-1 Steak sauce on steaks (but nothing on Filet Mignon).

Uncle Dan's Home Page - Salad Dressing, Dip Mixes, Dressing Recipes

ANY of the sauces from Chik-fil-A can used on anything! YUM!

Sometimes I;ll put some worchestershire sauce on steaks, mostly just s&p.
    I do ketchup with my scrambled eggs, but not 'on' them. little puddle on the side and dip my fork just a bit before getting the eggs.

my freaky choice - splenda and cinnamin in cold spaghetti squash. it really is a nice little treat, and its a VEGGIE!

Weirdest food as a kid - pickle & olive sandwich. just sliced olives and pickles on sandwich spread on bread. yum.
    I would eat it now but it really grossed out the kids and hubby, so haven't had it in a long time.

Ooooh, I want to try a pickle and olive sandwich since I love both.

I use ketchup for french fries and hamburgers sometimes. My favorite sandwich right now is a ground turkey burger with honey mustard dressing on whole grain bun.

I think I might give the pickle and olive sandwich a try too!

My favorite sandwich is cream cheese & olive spread on white bread with the crusts cut off! This disgusts Mr. Doxie (and just about everyone else) but I love it. I've recently discovered that the cream cheese and olive mixture freezes really well so I make a big batch of it and freeze it in small containers.

I also love ham salad.

PugMum: You are so right about the Chik-Fil-A sauces. Mr. Doxie is a HUGE fan of Chik-Fil-A and he always gets as much sauce as he can and hoards it for use on EVERYTHING.... I like it too, but not as much as he does.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

In high school, I had ham salad with onion (which I don't think is the norm), and I don't want it any other way now.

Cream cheese and olive spread sounds pretty good to me! I'd have to have it on wheat or rye, though.

I am not a huge fan of chicken salad. There always seem to be some inedible pieces (gristle, or whatever) in it.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3301878;
    You are a girl after my own heart!!! I always have malt vinegar in my house.

Sweet pickle relish, , but I have to use it in tuna salad and, possibly other salads of that nature.

I have never had egg salad. It's just ugly to look at, and my eyes and brain just don't get it.

I always thought of ketchup on scrambled eggs as a guy thing, but maybe not. My son doesn't eat them that way, but he used to do that disgusting thing of adding cinammon and Equal to his scrambled eggs..... His other little disgusting guy friends liked it, too. And he'd use PAM instead of butter in the skillet, and leave the skillet disgusting looking so that we would have to fight.
    That's funny because most of the people I know that also eat ketchup on scrambled eggs are female.

How can you NOT love egg salad? It is only the 2nd best thing next to pimento cheese for a sandwich filling. Third choice? Underwood Deviled ham and mayo. I LOVE olive spread on sandwiches too. I just bought some olives and cream cheese so I could make some.

I love malt vinegar. I love vinegar period. I have about 10 different kinds. I love raspberry vinegar on salads and raw veggies. I use hot pepper vinegar on cooked greens and other cooked veggies. Balsamic vinegar on a variety of stuff, rice vinegar for oriental stuff, red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar and even a small bottle of champagne vinegar. I mostly use those three in salad dressings. But I love malt vinegar on both fish and fries (fish and chips. I learned to eat that at a fast food restaurant that has since gone out of business. I can't remember the name, but it was around before Long John Silver's. Anyone remember?? Anyone?? Bueller?)

Not a fan of pickle relish on anything but hotdogs. I do NOT like it in tuna salad, potato salad, egg salad, etc.

My dad taught me to put worchestershire sauce on avocado. Love it that way now. But I also like it plain and in sandwiches, guacamole, etc.

Schmoo, that splenda and cinnamon squash actually sounds good. I've eaten something similar.

My grandmother used to eat raw apples and raw onion slices on bread with mayo.

My mother used to eat what she called "sink" sandwiches. Basically anything on bread and the messier the better with condiments, sauces, gravy, etc. and she had to eat it over the sink as it "leaked".

I pretty much only eat my chicken salad. I'm not a huge fan of chicken salad from restaurants except Arby's. I like theirs. But I feel the same way Prhoshay about the gristle. I hate getting crab shells in my crab salad too and egg shells in egg salad, which is why I prefer to make it and I have some control over that.
    Last edited by MRD; 02-03-2009 at 09:57 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Since I am allergic to white fish, I fell in love with malt vinegar on Long John Silver's chicken peg legs (when they had them), which is what introduced me to the malt vinegar and salt on the fries. I used to eat it on their chicken planks until their quality of chicken went seriously downhill. (Inedible things in the chicken planks turned me against them.)
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

OK, it's really bothering me that I can't remember the seafood fast food chain that is no longer around. Was around in the 70's and early 80's.
    Captain something maybe? Not sure though. But I learned about malt vinegar from them.

Captain D's?

MRD

Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips!

I had to think really hard on that one and dig really deep. I think I even smell smoke now.

+ Reply to Thread