+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 495 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465105155 ... LastLast
Like Tree528Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

FoRTer

Re: General Food Talk

I grew up with everything cooked "well" and served with sauce, never like it, so thought I just didn't like meat. Then around age 30, I discovered that I LOVE a good steak as long as it's med-rare. I guess the sauce is used to make up for the juicy flavor lost in over-cooking?
    Lil Bit, my husband has done a similar thing, and with about the same puzzled response.

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3300108;
    I grew up with everything cooked "well" and served with sauce, never like it, so thought I just didn't like meat. Then around age 30, I discovered that I LOVE a good steak as long as it's med-rare. I guess the sauce is used to make up for the juicy flavor lost in over-cooking?
    Lil Bit, my husband has done a similar thing, and with about the same puzzled response.
    My parents always ordered everything "well done" and that's the only way my mom ever cooked meat. When I was 18 I got a job at a nice Supper Club and the owner would occasionally make us all steaks after busy nights. The first time he asked me how I wanted my steak done and I said well done, he refused. Told me that he wouldn't ruin perfectly good steak by doing that and he made me a steak and told me to try it, if I didn't like it he'd make me another. Well, I've never ordered or cooked anything well done since.

Med rare is the only way to eat steak IMO. My husband loves everything like leather. I say that is not meat, that's dog food.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I read/heard that if you order meat well done that you will get a poor quality cut of meat, as opposed to a person who orders a rare (eeewww!) or medium rare. That kind of makes sense. If you're going well done, what difference does it make what cut you get? I can't remember the last time I ate a steak but, if I do, it's always medium rare; and I have had a couple of steaks that can be cut with your fork. I just don't like the way my stomach feels after I've eaten a steak. It's like there's a bowling ball just sitting in there...even the next day!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

My husband has that problem with red meat as well. I always thought it was because he ate too much of it!! The doctor finally told him it built up too much lactic acid in his muscles digesting red meat. We only have it once a week if at all now.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3300045;
    How many of you put some kind of steak sauce on your steak? I'm really not "into" steak, but I've always thought that if you have a really good steak, properly prepared and tender enough to cut with your fork, why would you cover up that flavor with a sauce? That just doesn't seem right!

Maybe it's the same with sausage balls?

I adore friend green tomatoes! But, then, it's a vegetable, too.
    If it's a good steak, you dont' need sauce. I wholeheartedly agree. We had guests one time to dinner and we grilled steaks. Good steaks. I thought my husband would have a heart attack when the other husband doused the steak with ketchup (and I mean doused it). Needless to say, my husband did not invite them back again. I honestly thought he was going to tell them at the table how much he'd paid for "good" steaks and that what this guy was doing was a mortal sin.

That said, when we have lesser cuts of meat, i prefer Heinz 57 sauce.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I don't like ketchup on anything but fries. My MIL is even more of a ketchup hater. I'll never forget when my hubby's friend asked for ketchup to put on his food. When he saw the look on her face he quipped, "I just wanted to read the label," and handed it back

MRD

I don't even eat ketchup on fries. Just on hamburgers and hot dogs. Oh and meatloaf. I add ketchup to the top of it before cooking.

ETA: I do put ketchup on scrambled eggs and that is a holdover from childhood. But I'm usually not a ketchup fan and i only eat scrambled eggs about once a month.

I used to put it on lima beans and on liver when i was a kid as I hated those and my mom would make me eat them. Now I like limas, but still hate liver, so it's not an issue with the ketchup anymore.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I was going to ask how many people put ketchup on eggs? To me, scrambled eggs are anyway, but to add ketchup??? I just can't imagine that combination of the flavors. And the look on the plate......

Ketchup is not a vegetable, Mr. Reagan! I'd rather put nothing on fries, but I'd use mustard before I'd use ketchup. I never really discovered the charm of ketchup but, in my house, I am definitely in the minority. I have to keep it in the house, regardless, but it goes untouched unless the right people are here to use it.

I guess that's where my savory taste buds (as opposed to my sweet taste buds) come into play.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Actually the ketchup on eggs is pretty good and fairly common-I've talked to a lot of people that do the same thing. I also like salsa on scrambled eggs or omelets. I am not a huge egg fan and can almost not eat them in the morning. I prefer sunny side up, but will eat scrambled with the ketchup. I think my favorite is hard boiled and made into egg salad.

Well good news for me. I FINALLY got the pound cake recipe of my old neighbor. She moved in across the street when I was 3 years old and she still lives there. For 35 years, she brought over pound cake at Christmas and for funerals and sickness. It's the best ever. Her daughter sent me the recipe today and I can't wait to make it. I used to always look forward to Christmas and her pound cake.

I'll share the recipe, but its on my other computer, so I need to forward the email to this one.

+ Reply to Thread