+ Reply to Thread
Page 530 of 532 FirstFirst ... 30430480520521522523524525526527528529530531532 LastLast
Results 5,291 to 5,300 of 5314
Like Tree680Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

It's good in smoothies, on cut apples, oatmeal, etc. Lots of uses.
    Count your blessings!

I use powdered peanut butter in smoothies: the brand I get at Sam's club is PBfit. First discovered it a year ago when Sam's had a pallet of it at the store entrance on special & have been buying it ever since.

My friends know I'm the queen of freebies and especially birthday freebies. I've got a good one for those of you who have a Black Angus restaurant nearby. When you sign up for their birthday club, they email you a coupon for a free steak dinner (with the purchase of another dinner) the first year you're a member of their birthday club. My b-day is 10/10 and the coupon they sent was good through 11/3, so they give you a fair amount of time. I'm not sure what you get in subsequent years, but it's not going to match the first year freebie.

As it turns out, there's a BA not too far from me and my mom, who's up for anything, was in town. We had a pretty great meal! We both got petite filets (mine with bleu cheese and sauteed baby portabellos) and each got really great sides - I have some delicious Brussels sprouts cooked in brown butter and my mom had some truly amazing potatoes au gratin. I also got a side salad and she got some green beans. I'm not someone who likes a lot of fanfare on my birthday, so when I heard someone being sung to for their birthday, I told the waiter that would NOT be happening at our table if he wanted a tip. When we ordered dessert (caramel cheesecake ), he said, "Okay, we won't sing, but there's also a cookie. Do you want that?" Well, YES, we want a cookie. We figured it would be a little cookie. Out comes a pie plate full of chocolate chip cookie with a scoop of ice cream and a candle! It was basically a chocolate chip pie. AMAZING. Forget the pazookie (sp?) at BJ's Brewhouse, this thing is way better. And free.

I think our total before tip came to around $45. For two steak dinners, bread for the table, iced teas and two desserts.
    Brooks and beerbelly like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Dangerous E. Coli Outbreak Linked to Romaine Lettuce | Time

U.S. shoppers should assume that any romaine lettuce could be contaminated, says Consumer Reports, even when itís sold in sealed bags or in salad mixes with other greens. Washing lettuce before eating it may help reduce the risk of an E. coli infection, experts say, but it wonít eliminate the risk entirely.

E. coli cases related to the current U.S. outbreak have been reported in California, Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Vermont and Washington state. The first reported illness began on November 15.
    momrek06 likes this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: As Playful, Faithful And Adorable As A Puppy Dog, But With Better Breath! ~ DWTS 20 Pool Winner ~ AGT 10 2nd Place ~ DWTS 22 3rd Place

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    Dangerous E. Coli Outbreak Linked to Romaine Lettuce | Time

U.S. shoppers should assume that any romaine lettuce could be contaminated, says Consumer Reports, even when itís sold in sealed bags or in salad mixes with other greens. Washing lettuce before eating it may help reduce the risk of an E. coli infection, experts say, but it wonít eliminate the risk entirely.

E. coli cases related to the current U.S. outbreak have been reported in California, Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Vermont and Washington state. The first reported illness began on November 15.

THANKS for posting this, BB!

HOW does e-coli even get on lettuce and in all those states???
    Baby's Breath likes this.
    KAREN

It likely came from a specific distributor that services stores in those states. It sounds like they're still trying to nail down the source of the infection. Then we'll likely see a recall announcement.

I don't like romaine, so I'm happy to avoid it!
    momrek06 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I do like it, but I can never remember what itís called, so I call it tube lettuce.
    Count your blessings!

I always buy it in the bag, already washed and cut. So much healthier than plain iceberg lettuce.
    "Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." ~ Harriet Beecher Stowe

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I love romaine lettuce and was upset to hear about the outbreak as my state was one of the ones affected.

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

Thanks to Gut, I'm still a fan of massaged kale, and it counts as both a dark green and a crucifer.

I don't like Romaine's ribs. I want to cut them out, and that's so much of the leaf it just all seems like a waste.
    Gutmutter likes this.

+ Reply to Thread