+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 484 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657585960100150 ... LastLast
Like Tree497Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Holy Crap you people disgust me!! (no offense )

I did splurge and get some of the canvas grocery bags. Thanks to whoever recommended them on here.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3288980;
    I'm almost afraid to say, then, that I have three within less than a 15-minute drive from my home.
    enough of the hoarding. It's not fair. Didn't your mom teach you to share.

Well disappointment in the rosie house tonight. I used a differnt type of sausaqe than I normally use in my shrimp and grits and it wasn't as good. This was an Irish garlic sausage. Sounded good. Bland. I normally use fresh kielbasa (not smoked) or italian sausage. It was still good, but sort of bland. I had to resort to adding a lot more extra stuff to the broth/gravy that I normally don't to get added flavor. Still the grits were divine. I make them with chicken stock for added flavor and a touch of cream. Yum

I am not a fashionably canvas bag person. I have a Payless shoe bag, 2 scrapbooking bags and 2 cruise ship bags, 2 canvas bags from the museum, another canvas bag of dubious origin, a library bag, and a bag from the Literary guild. I don't think I even own a grocery store reusable bag. I take in my collection of stained, old canvas bags and I'm sure the other shoppers think I am just totally low class with my motley assortment. Maybe I should splurge and get a matching set of bags from Publix or Bloom or somewhere.
    Last edited by MRD; 01-25-2009 at 11:38 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

A friend sent me a recipe for a breakfast casserole that you can do in the crockpot. I thought "Great, I can set this up the night before and we can wake up to a yummy Sunday breakfast". I bought the ingrediants yesterday, got it all set up last night and woke up hungry and ready to dig in. I guess at my age unless the recipe states "plug in the crockpot" it's just not going to happen

Oh, Bunny, I do that a lot with the toaster, but at least there's a quick turn-around time for me to realize it. Sorry your long-awaited breakfast didn't turn out as planned.
    For those of you who use the canvas shopping bags, I have a sort of silly question: how do you smoothly manage the whole from-checkout-to-personal-bags process? The store where I do most of our shopping doesn't have a layover area for the scanned items where I could gather and bag them myself (once they're scanned they go strait into the little plastic bag carousel). So I'm guessing as soon as my buggy is unloaded I should get my bags ready and just ask the cashier to pass the scanned items over to me as he/she goes along? I know in the grand scheme of life this is not a big deal, but I was wondering the best/easiest/most efficient way to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3289121;
    A friend sent me a recipe for a breakfast casserole that you can do in the crockpot. I thought "Great, I can set this up the night before and we can wake up to a yummy Sunday breakfast". I bought the ingrediants yesterday, got it all set up last night and woke up hungry and ready to dig in. I guess at my age unless the recipe states "plug in the crockpot" it's just not going to happen
    Oh my goodness, Bunny! That is something I would totally do! I'm laughing WITH you, not at you. I really think plugging the appliance in should be listed in ALL appropriate recipes as some of us need the nudge.

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3289132;
    Oh, Bunny, I do that a lot with the toaster, but at least there's a quick turn-around time for me to realize it. Sorry your long-awaited breakfast didn't turn out as planned.
    For those of you who use the canvas shopping bags, I have a sort of silly question: how do you smoothly manage the whole from-checkout-to-personal-bags process? The store where I do most of our shopping doesn't have a layover area for the scanned items where I could gather and bag them myself (once they're scanned they go strait into the little plastic bag carousel). So I'm guessing as soon as my buggy is unloaded I should get my bags ready and just ask the cashier to pass the scanned items over to me as he/she goes along? I know in the grand scheme of life this is not a big deal, but I was wondering the best/easiest/most efficient way to do it?
    I just hand the bagger my bags and they fill them up or just point them out in the cart before they get started. Sounds like your store does things differently: none of the stores around here have you bag your own.

I have a huge assortment of shopping bags. I take the really cute ones to the farmers market, but I generally just grab whatever I can find when I go to the grocery store. Since the regular grocery store (vs. TJ's) has such crummy eco bags (they fall apart in a few uses), I do make sure to bring really study ones, just to show them how a GOOD shopping bag should be made!

I forget to turn the toaster on all the time....that and the stove when I'm boiling water. I'll look in 20 minutes later wondering what's taking so long and realize I didn't turn the burner on under the kettle.

Bunny - howabout posting that breakfast recipe in the Recipes thread?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

MRD

Bunny, I've done that with dinner before. Plug it in is a mantra i have to keep repeating.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The only place I'd have to bag my own groceries is if I use the U-Scan-It aisle. Don't know if that would make for a problem or not, but it does look for the weight of what you just scanned to be placed in the bag. Wonder how the weight of the reusable bags would factor in? I haven't started using the reusables yet, by the way, but I'm wanting to go in that direction. There is a free reusable that I haven't picked up yet, at my Kroger store; they gave you one for free if you created a design for a bag several months ago. It would be my luck to have waited too long to get my free bag, but I can't seem to remember to ask.

And, about the chocolate popcorn, I didn't make mine; it was given to me. I've seen that Crunch N' Munch has a chocolate popcorn, but it didn't call my name when I saw it in the store. I do know that there are chocolate popcorn recipes on the net. Paula Deen has one on there.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Our store has a button you press if you are using your own bags. It works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't work right.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

For all I know, mine does, too!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread