+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 480 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051525354555657585999149 ... LastLast
Like Tree484Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3288330;
    Did I hear correctly that TJ's is coming out with a line of Ellen T-shirts???

When they become big sellers and I rake in the million$, I'll host the next FoRTfest and fly everyone to San Diego on my private jet, stocked with Trader Joe's food and drink!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3288480;

When they become big sellers and I rake in the million$, I'll host the next FoRTfest and fly everyone to San Diego on my private jet, stocked with Trader Joe's food and drink!
    Can we go to the Zoo? I've always wanted too. And a whole party catered by TJ's. I can't wait.

Tonight is Shrimp and Grits at my house. I can't wait. The ultimate comfort food.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3288503;
    Can we go to the Zoo? I've always wanted too. And a whole party catered by TJ's. I can't wait.
    You bet! The SD Zoo is one of my favorite places here. My membership always pays for itself in less than two months! (For $74, I get unlimited admission to both the Zoo and Wild Animal Park for a year for both me and my husband.)
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3288503;
    Tonight is Shrimp and Grits at my house. I can't wait. The ultimate comfort food.
    We have a similar theme here tonight for dinner: shrimp and lemon-pepper pappardelle (yes, both from TJ's ).

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3286211;
    The closest TJ's is about an hour's drive from us and I've never been. Our neighbor, on the other hand, goes at least twice a month. Just last night she brought us desert that came from there....a to die for chocolate ganache torte. I'm going to have to make a trip there soon. I plan on dropping Ellen's name to see if I get a discount.
    I am also an hour away from a Trader Joe's and I go as often as I can. It is worth the drive, I can get gas at the Costco nearby and combine errands. We bring a cooler along to store the cold stuff and of course the reusable red hibiscus TJ shopping bags. I buy coffee, sourdough bread, sauces, almonds, dried mangoes, spices, broth, oatmeal and lots of other things that come in seasonally like the gingerbread cake mix at Christmas time. The frozen aisle is a fun place to shop and try new foods. In my freezer right now is a package of their Chimichurri Rice, a Peruvian inspired dish. That may pair up well with the frijoles I am cooking right now.

My new fave at TJ's is their Lentil Rice Biryani. It's in with the rice and packaged noodles. So yummy! We have two TJ's in town, although the one closest to me has a parking lot the size of a postage stamp. It's always an ordeal to park there, but I shop there anyway because it's TJ's.

I think I have every kind of shopping bag they've ever made. That is until this last year when they started making so many different designs. I have more than I'll ever need because half of them end up in the house and I forget to put them back in the car.

I love their flash frozen green beans. I saute them with olive oil and garlic and they taste almost like fresh. My favorite thing ever from TJ's though is the carmelized onion and sausage pizza. I love the cornmeal crust. It's my big splurge. My only beef is that they tend to stop making certain things. I fall in love with something and then it's gone, like the Chicken Colorado Bowl or the Noodle Salad with Ginger Dressing. I was addicted to the Roasted Beet and Feta Salad and they got rid of it. Then they brought it back, but added chicken and changed it a bit. Not the same.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I went to TJ's yesterday. My biggest beef is that they keep discontinuing all my faves. I used to love the frozen cakes, souffles, etc., especially the mudpie cake and the flourless torte. They are all gone. And I still find the quality of some of the new items lacking. Perhaps it's better in SD, but in my neighborhood ( and I've been to 4 different ones ) it's not like it used to be.

Today I had to take my son the the pediatrician... it's in the "big city" about 30 miles away... as I'm waiting to turn at the light, I look over to my right and see a Trader Joe's! So then I immediately think of you guys. And I've decided that when we go back later this spring for well-care visits, we are going to stop in and experience the wonder. Of course, then shopping at my ordinary small-town grocery will never be the same, but it's a risk I'm willing to take.

I like Trader Joe's Prig Khing green beans. I saute some shrimp and add that to it for a complete meal. Good stuff, if you like spicy Thai food.

MRD

Critical no fair that you have two. You must give one up to be placed near someone on FORT who doesn't have ONE.

Fresh Market has the best soups, but they don't always have the ones I like everyday. So I have to go back (they're clever marketing ploy i'm sure) until i can find the ones I want.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'm almost afraid to say, then, that I have three within less than a 15-minute drive from my home.

+ Reply to Thread