+ Reply to Thread
Page 475 of 479 FirstFirst ... 375425465466467468469470471472473474475476477478479 LastLast
Results 4,741 to 4,750 of 4784
Like Tree476Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Thanks! I'll try some sliced raw and will roast some and experiment with those.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I feel Labor Day chicken wings coming on today.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I was anticipating my new "share" of produce from the co-op when I was on bus duty this afternoon and thinking I'd better do something with those tomatillos, so I asked a co-worker if he had ever cooked them. He hadn't but asked if they were like tomatoes and could you cook them the same way. So I tried making them like my grandmother's stewed tomatoes with onions, bread, honey, and butter. It is very similar, but more tart. I'm not hoping to get them again, though.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I was anticipating my new "share" of produce from the co-op when I was on bus duty this afternoon and thinking I'd better do something with those tomatillos, so I asked a co-worker if he had ever cooked them. He hadn't but asked if they were like tomatoes and could you cook them the same way. So I tried making them like my grandmother's stewed tomatoes with onions, bread, honey, and butter. It is very similar, but more tart. I'm not hoping to get them again, though.
    What Can I Make With Tomatillos Besides Green Sauce?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

My brother grew tomatillos and cooked with them often, but I think everything he made was spicy. Gut, I'd be hoping I didn't get them again too! I wouldn't know what to do with them.

So, I'm trying to eat healthy and lose some weight. I had a dentist appointment this morning and the TV in the exam room was tuned to the Food Network. I could have watched anything, but it wasn't that big a deal, so I left it. First up was a cupcake show.....luckily, one of the contestants was baking vegan and gluten-free cupcakes. The dental assistant noted that they probably tasted like cardboard.

The next show was Pioneer Woman, but it was supposed to be a light/healthy episode. Yeah, I should have known better. She did a lovely skillet of chopped squash and sauteed slices of tomato with poached eggs. Great, right? Then she added slices of cheese AND suggested you could add Hollandaise sauce! The before-commercial preview showed her making a dish with butternut squash and kale, so I kept watching. After she cooked the kale and squash, she threw two flour tortillas in the skillet in BUTTER and covered one with jack and goat cheeses, then added the kale, squash and other tortilla to make a quesadilla! I guess healthy is in the eye of the beholder!

I changed the channel.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'll tell you what - joining this co-op and getting surprise shares of fruits and veggies has helped me stay on the healthy track! I don't have to get it every week, but having all this produce in the fridge with more coming is good incentive. I do love cheese, so the last time I got some, I intentionally bought a harder, sharp cheese which I use less often than a milder, creamy cheese. So far, so good. Also with a sharp cheese, you only need a little for the flavor.
    Count your blessings!

I've been researching the various farms around here who do produce delivery. I think I'm going to take the plunge and choose one soon.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    After she cooked the kale and squash, she threw two flour tortillas in the skillet in BUTTER and covered one with jack and goat cheeses, then added the kale, squash and other tortilla to make a quesadilla! I guess healthy is in the eye of the beholder!
    Good for them using butter instead of one of the most unhealthy, toxic ingredients you can cook with - the high omega 6 polyunsaturated vegetable oils (corn, soybean, safflower, cottonseed, etc.). What I would object to in that line up are the flour tortillas.

I just thought that a show about lighter fare wouldn't involve butter, cheese and Hollandaise sauce. If she wanted to make that quesadilla lighter, she could have used a bit of olive oil or just nothing. You can put the tortilla in the oven for a minute to crisp in it. Really though, a quesadilla isn't "light" in my book. She put A LOT of cheese on that thing.

Yeah, the flour tortillas were bad also. Even though I prefer them to corn, I made the switch to corn a while back. Still looking for one that doesn't fall apart when I make soft tacos...
    Ellen and Brooks like this.

I've always made my quesadillas "dry". It never even occurred to me to put butter or anything on the pan. (And besides, then I feel less guilty about adding guacamole, salsa, and sour cream ;-) )

But yeah, her "healthy" recipes really aren't. And I like some of her recipes, but I really don't like her show. (Although I don't turn it off if I can't find anything better, as compared to Sandra Lee...I will turn the TV off before watching her.)

+ Reply to Thread