+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree521Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

They're only available for about one week, which is now, or last week... depends on whether they've all been taken yet or not.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Here's an admission: Not until was an adult did I ever realize that people actually ate macaroni and cheese as a full meal. That never happened in my house.

If my kid ate like that, it wasn't until he was in college and running his own food show. I'll have to ask him!

I also didn't know that it was possible to grow up never eating vegetables or fruit. I am still stymied by that one.
    Ellen likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

We saw the documentary "Fed Up" this weekend by the same folks who did "An Inconvenient Truth". It's about the obesity crisis in kids. What I wasn't expecting was the inaccessibility so many of these kids have to wholesome food, because their parents refuse to get on board or more likely don't know what to do, and because apparently so many school cafeterias are now commercial fast food outlets. Maybe there was a nutritional option in the cafeteria line but it's extraordinarily difficult to pass up the less nutritional food when your body is addicted to it and it's in your face like that, day after day. From the trailer I knew that many of my nutrition heroes (Lustig, Taubes, Pollen, Moss, Kessler) would be part of the documentary.

Shay, I would be very happy to have a meal of just mac & cheese. ;^) Fortunately my only meal choices through high school were pretty balanced. I didn't even know what pizza was until college.

Oh, I liked mac and cheese, but it was always just a side dish in our house.

Pizza didn't really come into my life in a big way until I went away to college. My uncle used to make his own pizza every Friday evening; I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole! I didn't like the smell. I preferred his wife's cooking! The preferred pizza in college was at this little independently owned pizza parlor off campus. The superstar who owned this place eventually lost the business in a poker game. That was a sin and a shame! It was to DIE for!

I have a guy friend I used to work with; you didn't even say "fruit/vegetables" around him. He's also a not-so-proud owner of a lousy heart. They never had fruit nor veggies in his home when he was growing up.

I was shocked and disappointed at the food that was served in the public schools when my son was in schools....nothing but garbage. Soft drinks everywhere. Fast food crap. Commercial pizza, KFC, Taco crap. Of course, the students loved it.

When I was in grade school (Catholic schools) a thousand years ago, they used to cook the most delicious, hot meals everyday! They did a FINE job. When I went onto high school, the cafeteria was automated, and with soft drinks. Lunch, every day, was a decent sandwich, chips, and a soft drink. Sometimes a little can of chili with lots of beans; to this day, I love, love, love beans in my chili....the more the better! Due to the concentration of beans, it was very filling. Over all, I'd say I was pretty happy, but I really missed my grade school meals.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Our grade school cafeterias had the best food. All home made and the best hot rolls around. They made this brown sugar cookie that was to die for. Still can't find a recipe like it.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I hate to think that this is just another thing/tradition that is "gone with the wind", but it sounds like it just might be.

The cafeteria food now served at our schools is nasty. All processed and trucked in from a central kitchen to each school.

On another note I am keeping it home made I just canned 23 pints of hot dog relish. Made strawberry jam and jalapeno jelly the other day I also made a couple dozen jars of apple butter the other day. Canning is beginning to start. Can't wait til my garden starts producing and the farmers markets getting in fresh produce. My blackberry vines look to be loaded so that will be a big job to keep up with.

I LOVE jalapeno jelly!! You are quite industrious!

How do you eat your jalapenos jelly? I was introduced to it with cream cheese on a crackers.

Shay I love to can. Got it from my mother. I don't eat a lot of what I make. I sell some and give family and friends some. My hot dog relish has been a big hit so I sell most of it. I bake pies for a friend at her hot dog place and I have been making peanut brittle for her and I sell some of my canned good there. I am blown away that peanut be extra brittle is selling this time of year as I always thought it a holiday item. Guess not. This has been a good way for me to make a little extra money. I made enough last year to pay for all of my Christmas without taking any out of the budget.

+ Reply to Thread