+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree444Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

Thanks, inthegarden. The gal is from Buffalo, NY, so I am not sure about any Southern roots. Your menu sounds delicious, too. Cheesecake with fresh fruit topping is making me It's my favorite cake!
    inthegarden likes this.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I'm up and down on lamb, aside from gyros. It's a weird thing, but my town (Baton Rouge) has more great Greek/Lebanese restaurants than Cajun, and they all use a lamb mix in their gyros. If I had the spare money, I'd do a food history of the Greek/Lebanese food in BR, as it started in the late 60s/early 70s and has spiraled out from family to family opening different restaurants.

That aside, I came in here to ask if anyone has the same affliction I do: slow veg prep. I made shrimp mold tonight (had a craving, haven't had it in 2 years), and I needed a cup of finely (read: nearly transparent) diced celery and green onion (cup of each). It took me over 30 minutes to just do that. The recipe says there is 20 minutes total of prep time, and the dicing of the veg was only the first part. All in all, the prep took an hour. I can't complain too much, because it did turn out great, but I guess my veg knife skills are just lacking.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

This may sound like a dumb question, but does ground lamb taste like leg of lamb and other lamb grossities? Seems like it would stand to reason that it does, but one never knows.

Lamb smells wonderful when it's being cooked with all of that garlic but, for me, goes rapidly downhill when you let it past your lips.

I guess, in general, I am just not a big meat lover.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Saw this breakfast sandwich maker on some show yesterday. Of course, the gadgety side of me is wanting to take over. It has gotten thousands of good reviews. It would beat going to McDonald's. I will admit to liking their breakfast menu! Anybody have any familiarity?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I'm up and down on lamb, aside from gyros. It's a weird thing, but my town (Baton Rouge) has more great Greek/Lebanese restaurants than Cajun, and they all use a lamb mix in their gyros. If I had the spare money, I'd do a food history of the Greek/Lebanese food in BR, as it started in the late 60s/early 70s and has spiraled out from family to family opening different restaurants.

That aside, I came in here to ask if anyone has the same affliction I do: slow veg prep. I made shrimp mold tonight (had a craving, haven't had it in 2 years), and I needed a cup of finely (read: nearly transparent) diced celery and green onion (cup of each). It took me over 30 minutes to just do that. The recipe says there is 20 minutes total of prep time, and the dicing of the veg was only the first part. All in all, the prep took an hour. I can't complain too much, because it did turn out great, but I guess my veg knife skills are just lacking.
    I'm slow. It always takes me longer than the time listed on a recipe.
    But, I'm not a professional chef and like my finger tips.
    The main thing...it turned out great!
    In addition to the chopping, I have trouble reading and comprehending the recipe and or numbers. I have to read and re-read recipes or any type of instruction several times before I get it and can follow them.

I tried Talenti. It is very good. My favorite flavors so far are Coconut and Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip.
    The containers are good for reusing. I like the tiny graphic on the side that shows the flavor. So cool.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 05-03-2014 at 11:36 AM.

I love veggie prep. I have all kinds of knives. this is my favorite. I got this one for a birthday present one year and I love it.

Wüsthof® Gourmet 7" Hollow Ground Santoku Knife in Open Stock Knives | Crate and Barrel
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    I tried Talenti. It is very good. My favorite flavors so far are Coconut and Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip.
    The containers are good for reusing. I like the tiny graphic on the side that shows the flavor. So cool.
    Those are my favorites, too.
    inthegarden likes this.
    Count your blessings!

I got some apples the other day from the food bank and had enough to make a pan of apple butter. They were really good and I went to Walmart and they had the same apple for 2.88 for 5 lbs. I have stocked up on them and now have made bunches of apple butter. It is so good.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Oh, I'm slow, too. I'd love to blame it on the arthritis in my hands and fingers, but I was slow even before the arthritis got bad. But my dice looks good when I get done :-) (I just build in extra time for prep because I never get it done as quickly as the recipe says it will take.)

I think we worry too much about trying to be perfect......that will slow us waaaay down.

Haven't had shrimp mold in well over 20 years. That stuff is to DIE for!!!

+ Reply to Thread