+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree497Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

According to the Honey Baked Ham store's website, a 7-9 pound half ham serves 6-14. Does that help?

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Thanks, TripleGemini , yes it does. I'll probably have to buy 2 halves.

My mom gets about an 8 pound ham when she serves our family. (15-20) I've never cooked one. Of course, she always has other foods too, like turkey and sides. It's never the main meal, but she always has leftovers too.
    Your menu sounds yummy!
    Eastcoastmom likes this.

Thanks, Debb. I can get either a free half of a smoked shank ham, a 10-12 lb turkey, a large tray of Stouffer's lasagna or a Tofurky from my supermarket b/c I spent over the required amount in a 4 week period. But since I plan to buy the spiral sliced ham elsewhere, I may get a veggie lasagna or the Tofurky for my vegetarian sons. I have no plans to make 2 different meats. If I ever remodel my kitchen I would love, love, love to have double ovens. One oven just is not enough. In our area we are not allowed to have basement kitchens, but I would love that. I keep an extra refrigerator in the basement, which comes in handy for holiday entertaining.

I'm just curious what that means - not allowed to have a basement kitchen. You can have a fridge/freezer in the basement. I assume you can have running water (sink) in the basement. What's to keep you from plugging in a free-standing burner unit, an electric skillet, a crockpot, a roaster, etc.?
    Count your blessings!

Gutmutter, in NYC, and where I live in the outer suburbs you cannot have a bathroom, nor can you have a free standing oven/range in the basement. Yes, lots of folks do, and rent out their basements illegally, but it is not allowed. I think that is why they do not allow a working kitchen or bath in homes as they do not want anyone to rent out the basement. Technically, no person is supposed to be living in the basement.

Now, when we bought our home in the basement there was an oven, a wet bar, and some old kitchen cabinets hanging on one wall. We were able to buy the house and obtain the Certificate of Occupancy without a problem b/c we did not have a mortgage. If an inspector had come to inspect we would have had to tear out the 'kitchen.' Since we had no inspection and purchased it outright, no problem. BUT, when we did a major renovation down the road, the building inspectors insisted we get rid of the 'kitchen.' The gas had already been disconnected from the stove but we got rid of it. I balked, however, at getting rid of my extra fridge and cabinets, which I used to store extra dishes. The wet bar had long been gone. We had to convince the inspector that no one was living in the basement. Technically, my sons were sleeping on the sleeper sofa as the renovations were being done to their bedrooms. No other place to sleep. Our master bedroom was the only one not touched so we stayed upstairs.

There is a HUGE problem here on Long Island with illegal basement rental apartments. So many folks rent out to pay the insanely high property taxes here. While I feel for them as I am burdened with the same ridiculous taxes, it puts a strain on our schools and on other town services provided as these rental occupants pay no property taxes.

Back to your original question...yes, I suppose I could plug in an electric skillet, roaster ,etc, but I have no counters. It was just a wall of cabinets above the stove, which was next to the washer and dryer. I don't even have a laundry room.
    Gutmutter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Gutmutter, in NYC, and where I live in the outer suburbs you cannot have a bathroom, nor can you have a free standing oven/range in the basement. Yes, lots of folks do, and rent out their basements illegally, but it is not allowed. I think that is why they do not allow a working kitchen or bath in homes as they do not want anyone to rent out the basement. Technically, no person is supposed to be living in the basement.

Now, when we bought our home in the basement there was an oven, a wet bar, and some old kitchen cabinets hanging on one wall. We were able to buy the house and obtain the Certificate of Occupancy without a problem b/c we did not have a mortgage. If an inspector had come to inspect we would have had to tear out the 'kitchen.' Since we had no inspection and purchased it outright, no problem. BUT, when we did a major renovation down the road, the building inspectors insisted we get rid of the 'kitchen.' The gas had already been disconnected from the stove but we got rid of it. I balked, however, at getting rid of my extra fridge and cabinets, which I used to store extra dishes. The wet bar had long been gone. We had to convince the inspector that no one was living in the basement. Technically, my sons were sleeping on the sleeper sofa as the renovations were being done to their bedrooms. No other place to sleep. Our master bedroom was the only one not touched so we stayed upstairs.

There is a HUGE problem here on Long Island with illegal basement rental apartments. So many folks rent out to pay the insanely high property taxes here. While I feel for them as I am burdened with the same ridiculous taxes, it puts a strain on our schools and on other town services provided as these rental occupants pay no property taxes.

Back to your original question...yes, I suppose I could plug in an electric skillet, roaster ,etc, but I have no counters. It was just a wall of cabinets above the stove, which was next to the washer and dryer. I don't even have a laundry room.
    I have rental property in Oklahoma and I pay the property taxes. It is included in my rent so our schools are getting the funding. I wouldn't think it would make a difference as long as taxes are being paid. That is one reason a lot of people rent is because of taxes. No matter though taxes are being paid by someone and you can't double tax a property.
    I can't believe the basement issue you have. I understand the area though. Also there is the danger of fire and being able to get out and what it would do to the upstairs part. I would love to have a basement to do my canning and cooking in. Have the extra stove especially at holidays would be wonderful.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Nennie, I am not 'anti-renter.' But I am sure you live in a one-family dwelling and don't have a large number of folks living in your basement, which is what happens in many communities here. My neighbor was a single mom raising her 2 kids and she converted the upstairs of her Cape Cod home into an apartment. Again, not even a basement but the area is zoned for one family dwellings, not 2 families. I looked the other way as she rented to a single gal. When you have a dwelling that is zoned for more than one family, you pay more in property taxes. So, this is what I meant. Some folks are cramming extra folks into their basement, which is illegal anyway, and the fire issue is a good point you brought up. So, the county is not getting the EXTRA revenue it would be entitled to, if the home was zoned for more than one family. Some homes can, however, be zoned as a mother-daughter residence, if you have a child living with you, but you have to go to the building department, pay for the change, and then pay extra $$$. Again, that relative cannot live in the basement.

Sorry for hijacking this thread...

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'd kill for a really good grilled cheese sandwich! I've been going through this yearning since last week!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Nennie, I am not 'anti-renter.' But I am sure you live in a one-family dwelling and don't have a large number of folks living in your basement, which is what happens in many communities here. My neighbor was a single mom raising her 2 kids and she converted the upstairs of her Cape Cod home into an apartment. Again, not even a basement but the area is zoned for one family dwellings, not 2 families. I looked the other way as she rented to a single gal. When you have a dwelling that is zoned for more than one family, you pay more in property taxes. So, this is what I meant. Some folks are cramming extra folks into their basement, which is illegal anyway, and the fire issue is a good point you brought up. So, the county is not getting the EXTRA revenue it would be entitled to, if the home was zoned for more than one family. Some homes can, however, be zoned as a mother-daughter residence, if you have a child living with you, but you have to go to the building department, pay for the change, and then pay extra $$$. Again, that relative cannot live in the basement.

Sorry for hijacking this thread...
    Ok now I understand.

I made this wonderful sour cream streusel pound cake the other day. It was so good. It was a Trisha Yearwood recipe.
    Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe : Trisha Yearwood : Food Network
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

+ Reply to Thread