+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree521Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Maybe so. I did hear that Costco has good smoked salmon. I'm planning to join either Costco or BJ's soon. Then I can get it there at a reasonable price. I've never made any, but I'll give it a shot. I would love to do some bacon wrapped shrimp, but that could run into some money. It would probably take a bunch even if not everyone eats them.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Maybe so. I did hear that Costco has good smoked salmon. I'm planning to join either Costco or BJ's soon. Then I can get it there at a reasonable price. I've never made any, but I'll give it a shot. I would love to do some bacon wrapped shrimp, but that could run into some money. It would probably take a bunch even if not everyone eats them.
    I prefer "hot smoked" salmon myself, but I made a casserole a while back with some cold smoked stuff someone got me from Costco and it was pretty good. The salmon dip we make is just about the easiest ever.

Just mix up:
    1 package smoked salmon
    1 package of cream cheese (I typically use light)
    Red and green bell peppers diced very small (yellow and orange work too - whatever you have and and much as you want)
    Season to taste (I typically use some granulated garlic and pepper)

If you use cold smoked salmon and the taste isn't "smokey" enough for you, you can always add a drop or two of liquid smoke.
    Debb70 likes this.

Does anyone know if regular grocery stores carry rice wrappers? Are they found in a refrigerated case, or are they dry when you buy them?
    I want to try making some fresh spring rolls this weekend. I usually do egg rolls, but spring rolls sound a bit easier and much healthier.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I hate Baked Lay's. Yuck-O. They are right up (down) there with diet soft drinks.
    beerbelly likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Does anyone know if regular grocery stores carry rice wrappers? Are they found in a refrigerated case, or are they dry when you buy them?
    I want to try making some fresh spring rolls this weekend. I usually do egg rolls, but spring rolls sound a bit easier and much healthier.
    I've seen rice wrappers in the produce section as well as in the refrigerated organic food case at our local grocery store.
    Could you call and ask if they carry them?

I tried Lipton's Pure Leaf Sweet Tea the other day, and it is w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l!!! To my surprise, it was not cloyingly sweet; just a gentle sweetness (with sugar). I had seen a woman drinking it in the nail salon the other day, and she highly recommended it; I am not big on so-called "sweet teas". I was surprised at how nice it was. I will definitely buy this again!

Has anyone else tried it? It's in a rectangular bottle with a long neck.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

No, but I might try it if I'm out and about. I don't drink sodas anymore and normally get water, but sometimes want something else.

I make my own tea at home, because I prefer Decaf. I use just a tad a sugar. I use just about a quarter cup for a gallon of tea, so it barely has a hint of sweetness, but it takes the edge off.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Anyone know a general rule of thumb as to how large a portion of spiral sliced ham I should allow per person? I know other things factor in, like how many appetizers will be served beforehand, how many side dishes, etc, but I have never made a spiral sliced ham before. We will number 15. I haven't had Easter dinner here in a while and the last time I hosted, I made 2 butt halves of the Cook's smoked ham. Our family enjoys it just boiled, which does take a lot of the saltiness out. But the spiral honey ham is already sliced and ready to bake in the oven and I think it also comes with a glaze. It wasn't in the supermarket today so hopefully next week they will be stocking them. I wanted to eyeball it to see if I should buy 2. I am having an Italian antipasto platter before, plus some cheeses, and various other appy's, so they shouldn't be ravenous when it's time for dinner.

With 15 I would do 2 if they are medium sized.
    Eastcoastmom likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Better to have too much than not enough.
    TripleGemini and Eastcoastmom like this.

+ Reply to Thread