+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree498Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I told my middle school students about the one piece of bacon today, and none of them could believe it. So if your ears were burning today, it was because we were talking about you.
    LOL! That's funny :-) (And if my ears were burning, I didn't notice...the work is piled up higher than that right now ;-) )

And tonight was my son's swimming banquet (he got an award and he'll be one of the captains next year!). But we were at a not-all-that-great pizza place, so I had one piece and some salad. Tomorrow is usually our "treat night", but I think we might pass this week as a result of tonight's food.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I need to find a little something, something to reve up a dish I created. I can't decide what it needs. It's a breakfast food, so I don't really want to add hot pepper. Any suggestions?

I take one piece of whole wheat toast, with a tad of butter and on top. Then I add one piece of cheese, then I sprinkle dried Basil or use fresh basil. Then I then add one egg over easy, a tad of light sour cream and a slice of tomato with a little salt and pepper. I then drizzle a little olive oil over it. It's VERY good, but just needs one more thing to take it up a notch for flavor.
    I can't remember why I was looking at Tenley's Instagram just yesterday but I found this which reminded me of your post.

Instagram

I really wish I liked seafood. When I watch those Red Lobster commercials, I want to lick my TV screen. I've tried clam strips and fried shrimp, but I can't get over the strong taste. I do love my fresh fish though, more so if I've caught it myself!
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Just watched them make Irish Coffee on "The Kitchen" (which I love!). Sounds really disgusting but, then again, I don't care for coffee or whiskey. I always wondered about Irish Coffee. My curiosity has been satisfied. I'll pass. For those of you who love it.....enjoy; you can have mine!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I used to be a cocktail waitress in a bar that served a lot of different coffee/alcohol combos. They had a standing list of the ones they offered and got a lot of orders. I'm not a drinker (unless I've had a really bad day at work or am having one glass of wine with a friend) and coffee is my morning drink, not something I'd pair with alcohol at night. But I'm with you on the coffee/whiskey combo. Doesn't sound good to me, either.
    Count your blessings!

The first time I had Irish coffee was during my homestay in Germany when I was 16. It was delicious. Then again, my host family used really good ingredients. I've also had el cheapo bad Irish coffee at various places here in the states.
    I'll say yes to the good stuff and pass on the bad.
    (If I want to be certain it's good, I'll make it at home where I control the quality of the coffee/espresso, whiskey, and cream.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Facial hair on a chef or cook is just disgusting.
    Gutmutter and ClosetRTWatcher like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    The first time I had Irish coffee was during my homestay in Germany when I was 16. It was delicious. Then again, my host family used really good ingredients. I've also had el cheapo bad Irish coffee at various places here in the states.
    I'll say yes to the good stuff and pass on the bad.
    (If I want to be certain it's good, I'll make it at home where I control the quality of the coffee/espresso, whiskey, and cream.)
    I don't like Irish coffee...but I love coffee and kahlua :-) (Which isn't the same as Mexican coffee, where they add another liquor to the mix.)

I like the coffee/alcohol drinks if they aren't too strong and are served after dinner.

I do love me a GOOD Bloody Mary!!!!!!! So yummy when done right. I've always been on the quest for the perfect one. I make one as good as any I've ever had, but I do want to try to add horseradish to mine. I think that would take it up a notch! I only drink a couple of times per year, but a virgin Bloody Mary is fine by me. I normally use a little Tabasco, Worcheshire sauce, and lime juice to give mine flavor.
    Last edited by Debb70; 03-17-2014 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I need to find a little something, something to reve up a dish I created. I can't decide what it needs. It's a breakfast food, so I don't really want to add hot pepper. Any suggestions?

I take one piece of whole wheat toast, with a tad of butter and on top. Then I add one piece of cheese, then I sprinkle dried Basil or use fresh basil. Then I then add one egg over easy, a tad of light sour cream and a slice of tomato with a little salt and pepper. I then drizzle a little olive oil over it. It's VERY good, but just needs one more thing to take it up a notch for flavor.
    Debb70, I read your post and then saw JunkieGirl's post and it reminded me of a breakfast that I like.
    A piece of whole grain/5 grain dark wheat bread, pumpernickel or rye bread. Lightly toast and then spread with Sabra Olive Tapenade Hummus and top with a soft poached egg or over easy egg. Sprinkle with grated pepper.
    Sometimes I have two depending on the workday.

When... I eat bacon, I have to have two slices...the first one I eat fast...the second I eat slow and savor the taste knowing it going to be a while before I have bacon again.
    After I open a pack of bacon, I take it out of the package a lay it in a single layer on a sheet of non stick foil. 4 pieces to a sheet of foil. Stack them and wrap them up and freeze. They peel off the non stick foil easy peasy!
    Debb70 likes this.

Sounds like more work than I would care to endure!

+ Reply to Thread