+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 458 FirstFirst ... 35363738394041424344454647484950515253545595145 ... LastLast
Like Tree380Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

When I use only a partial box of chicken/beef broth (and it says use it all within 14 days, or whatever), can I freeze the rest with taste quality intact?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I just made Red Velvet Cupcakes (Paula Deen's recipe on the Food Network site) for my book club, which is discussing a book tonight about a girl who discovers a red velvet room. Once they cool, I'll be frosting them with cream cheese icing.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3278950;
    When I use only a partial box of chicken/beef broth (and it says use it all within 14 days, or whatever), can I freeze the rest with taste quality intact?
    Whenever I freeze broth, I feel the flavor goes a little flat, so I would add some herbs or spices when I reheat it to liven it back up, or just combine it with new broth.

Great! Thanks!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Am I the only person who has never heard of "pork sirloin chops"? I was browsing the weekly grocery store flyer, and that caught my non-cooking eye. I am trying to educate myself, bit-by-bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;3279479;
    I just made Red Velvet Cupcakes (Paula Deen's recipe on the Food Network site) for my book club, which is discussing a book tonight about a girl who discovers a red velvet room. Once they cool, I'll be frosting them with cream cheese icing.
    Oh, I have made those so many times and I use her cream cheese frosting recipe. They are soooo good!!! The only thing is you go through so much red dye when making double batches. Your book club members will not be disappointed! I also make these on 4th of July topping each cupcake with festive decorations and a sparkler.

MRD

I freeze leftover broth, evaporated milk, tomato sauce, etc. and have had no problem. As I usually use the broth in soups or stews, it gets seasoned up pretty well after I reuse the frozen part.

I also freeze cookies and have frozen them in the packaging and had no problems. Girl Scout cookies are sealed in cellophane, so you can freeze those without repackaging as already being sealed keeps them from getting freezer burn.

Critical, that is so thoughtful of your co-worker to do that for you.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3281943;
    Am I the only person who has never heard of "pork sirloin chops"? I was browsing the weekly grocery store flyer, and that caught my non-cooking eye. I am trying to educate myself, bit-by-bit.
    Nope, you're not the only one. And I do cook quite a bit, though not pig meat/fat.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

P.S. I was curious, so I looked this up in the Cook's Thesaurus:
    pork chop Notes: Pork chops usually turn out juicier if they're thick and if they're attached to bone. Several different cuts are called pork chops. The most tender and expensive ones are the pork loin chop and the pork rib chop. Next in the tenderness hierarchy are the pork sirloin chop, pork top loin chop, and the pork loin blade chop. Pork arm steaks and pork blade steaks are relatively tough and fatty, but they're very flavorful. They're better if they're braised rather than grilled, broiled, or fried. Substitutes: pork tenderloin (cut into medallions) OR lamb chop OR steak
    Cook's Thesaurus: Pork Loin Cuts
    Hope this helps!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3281943;
    They are the best. Sort of the filet of pork, if you will. They actually come out very juicy and tender. They still have some fat on them which makes them tasty. And you can use them in any recipe that you would use a regular pork chop.Sometimes, I just slow cook them with Sweet Baby Ray's barbeque sauce - the best barbeque sauce you can find in a bottle. Simple and delicious.

MRD

Well we are getting our one day of snow tonight and I suggested we have chili or soup or some other "comfort" and "warm" food. I was vetoed over fried pork chops and mashed potatoes. I am NOT frying the chops. I hate frying anything lately and have been suffering from major indigestion the last few days so I'm going to just eat the potatos. I may just go ahead and make soup anyway and then we all have a choice.

What is your go to comfort food on really nasty winter days?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread