+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 491 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940414243444546474849505152535494144 ... LastLast
Like Tree521Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;3272833;
    I'm expecting friends for supper tonight. They were supposed to be here at 5:30 and it's now 7 and no sign of them. They called to say they were stuck in mega traffic. My supper is going to be warmish and dry. Oh well. As long as they get here safe and sound.
    They're going to be so hungry from a two-hour traffic jam that they'll never notice! Keeping fingers crossed that they get there okay and all goes well.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Did I read somewhere that cooking meat in a crockpot on low makes it tougher? Help!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I disagree with that--THE way to cook tougher cuts of meats (brisket, chuck roast, for instance)is "low and slow" whether in the slow cooker, low temp oven, smoker or whatever. I can't think of time I've seen any kind of meat come out of a crock pot tough.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I think we talked about this somewhere (or at least someone mentioned it). Mother's Cookies went out of business a few months ago and it was so sudden that the cookies were just GONE from the stores with no warning. Well, I'm not a fan of store bought cookies - I can even take or leave Oreos (I know, blasphemy! ) - but my very favorite cookies in the world are Mother's Taffy cookies and, short of buying them for $20 on ebay, I never thought I'd have them again. Cut to this past Saturday at work. I went into the break room and saw our little cookie jar (one of the woman I work for regularly fills it with generally crappy cookies) and what do I see? Taffy cookies! I asked my co-worker where she found them. Get this: the dollar store! I meant to go down there this weekend, but just didn't get around to it. I went to work today and my co-worker said "Oh, I have something for you." Her daughters found out how much I love those cookies and made a special trip out to the store to buy them for me. She got me twenty packages of them! I'm stoked, but slightly horrified. I'll weigh 300 pounds if I eat them all. Does anyone know if they freeze? I might try with one package and see how they do. My co-worker told me the store manager admitted to buying 30 cases of the cookies for himself so I guess I shouldn't feel too bad about my comparatively meager 20 packages. I have a tiny house. I don't even know where I'm going to put them all!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

How lucky you are to have such a thoughtful co-worker!

I have frozen Girl Scout Cookies before and it worked pretty well. I did take them out of the boxes/cellophane tray things and froze them in plastic freezer containers though. Good luck!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;3277397;
    How lucky you are to have such a thoughtful co-worker!

I have frozen Girl Scout Cookies before and it worked pretty well. I did take them out of the boxes/cellophane tray things and froze them in plastic freezer containers though. Good luck!
    Very lucky I know other people who freeze Girl Scout cookies. I'm going to look into freezing and see if I can really make these things last!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Crit, I freeze regular, homemade cookies all the time. That way, they last longer and you can pull them out one at a time, pop it in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds, and you have a yummy warm cookies. Good luck!

I've frozen lots of cookies. We used to get President's Choice cookies in South America and then they stopped re-stocking. I bought them all and froze them, no problem. They were my son's favourite. I also freeze little packages of 2-3 cookies for lunches when I make homemade. If I don't, they're all gone in a couple of days

Critical - Yes, you can freeze them But I have great news for you. Kellog company bought all of the recipes for the Mother's cookies in December and will be re-introducing them. Mother's Circus Animal Cookies Live On! | Dlisted

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3278596;
    Critical - Yes, you can freeze them But I have great news for you. Kellog company bought all of the recipes for the Mother's cookies in December and will be re-introducing them. Mother's Circus Animal Cookies Live On! | Dlisted
    Woot! I saw that on Dlisted, but I guess I didn't pay attention to the fact that Kellogg's bought ALL of the recipes. I thought it was just Circus Animals. Maybe that means I don't have to ration them as much as I thought.

I have a pretty small freezer, so I can't freeze all of them. They're well ahead of the expiration date, so I think I'll be fine to keep them out of the freezer for now. I'm giving away a few packages to friends who love them too. It's perfect timing that I end up with all of these cookies when I've been trying to eat healthier. I'm having two Taffy cookies with my tea at night and that's it. Tough, but it's better than none and definitely better than binging and eating the whole package!

+ Reply to Thread