+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 496 FirstFirst ... 33343536373839404142434445464748495051525393143 ... LastLast
Like Tree533Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

To the Point

Re: General Food Talk

vegetable trays or deli trays are nice. I did this for a friend a couple of years ago and she said that this would be something she would definitely do for others in the future because it was so nice to be able to make a quick sandwich and have some vegies without the hassle of heating stuff up. She said that with all the chaos it was nice to have something really simple.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3271312;
    Anyone have a suggestion for a dish to take by someone's house after a funeral? I'm sure they're going to have plenty of casseroles, chicken, etc. What else is there to bring?
    My mom has a friend who is almost "famous" among her circle of friends for being the funeral cleaning lady. A long time ago, recognizing that there was always an overabundance of the same types of foods brought after a funeral, she started telling the widow or widower prior to the funeral to count on her to be the one to clean up everything after the visitors were done. With very close friends, she'd also volunteer to skip the burial portion of a funeral in order to get to the house and have things set up when people got there. She would not accept any help - ESPECIALLY from the family members of the deceased. She would just go into the kitchen, do all dishes, put everything away, clean the kitchen, take out trash, etc. She just did what needed to be do to allow the exhausted family members some down time to not have to worry about the aftermath of having many people in their home. It was a great and very appreciated alternative to another caserole if you have the time and energy to be the one to do it.

Of all the food we were brought when my dad died, what sticks in my mind most is the lady who brought us toilet paper. We had a house full of people, and so that was one less thing someone would have to go to the store for.

I'd think paper plates/cups and cutlery would also be handy.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Desserts are always popular at times like this. I once heard the Methodists described as "the Mack Daddies of desserts". And don't forget that someone needs to stay at the house when people are away for the services.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3271422;
    My mom has a friend who is almost "famous" among her circle of friends for being the funeral cleaning lady. A long time ago, recognizing that there was always an overabundance of the same types of foods brought after a funeral, she started telling the widow or widower prior to the funeral to count on her to be the one to clean up everything after the visitors were done. With very close friends, she'd also volunteer to skip the burial portion of a funeral in order to get to the house and have things set up when people got there. She would not accept any help - ESPECIALLY from the family members of the deceased. She would just go into the kitchen, do all dishes, put everything away, clean the kitchen, take out trash, etc. She just did what needed to be do to allow the exhausted family members some down time to not have to worry about the aftermath of having many people in their home. It was a great and very appreciated alternative to another caserole if you have the time and energy to be the one to do it.
    Wow. What a wonderful idea. I'm going to keep that in mind.

That would be a relief Veruka. I remember after my mother passed everyone came to my house and everything was just a blur. I was so exhausted and grieving, worried about cleaning, food and all that goes along with having people over. I can't think of anything that would be more appreciated.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3271312;
    Anyone have a suggestion for a dish to take by someone's house after a funeral? I'm sure they're going to have plenty of casseroles, chicken, etc. What else is there to bring?
    Deviled eggs or pound cake are my personal favorites to take.

Something else that I NEVER thought about until my grandmother passed and someone did this: paper plates, plastic utensils, plastic cups and paper napkins. That way everyone that came by and ate didn't dirty up a bunch of dishes. It was a blessing as we hadn't thought of that and were running the dishwasher 24/7.

We also got a loaf of bread and some deli meat and cheese, which actually worked well too as the kids wouldn't eat the casseroles and this way we could make sandwiches.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3272069;
    Deviled eggs or pound cake are my personal favorites to take.

Something else that I NEVER thought about until my grandmother passed and someone did this: paper plates, plastic utensils, plastic cups and paper napkins. That way everyone that came by and ate didn't dirty up a bunch of dishes. It was a blessing as we hadn't thought of that and were running the dishwasher 24/7.
    We also got a loaf of bread and some deli meat and cheese, which actually worked well too as the kids wouldn't eat the casseroles and this way we could make sandwiches.
    Someone did that for us when my grandmother died and it was very helpful. Another kind friend brought gallons of tea and several large bottles of soft drinks.

Something else to think about is childcare. My nephew was only about 6 weeks old when my grandmother died and my niece was a toddler. We also had several other family members/friends from out of town with small children. One of my parents' neighbors and her teenage daughter came to my parents' house and watched all of the kids while the rest of us were at the visitation and then at the funeral.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Thanks for all of the wonderful suggestions. I ended up taking a deli tray as NCLurker suggested with some small rolls and croissants. Thinking of the teenagers in the house, I also picked up some Pizza Hut gift cards and left them behind. I'm sure in the days to come, they'll be sick of casseroles and such and no one is going to feel much like cooking. This way, they can order a pizza.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

I'm expecting friends for supper tonight. They were supposed to be here at 5:30 and it's now 7 and no sign of them. They called to say they were stuck in mega traffic. My supper is going to be warmish and dry. Oh well. As long as they get here safe and sound.

+ Reply to Thread