+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree533Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

The story of the boar bacon upthread reminded me of the time I cooked a rooster! lol I'm serious. Many years ago, when I was in my twenties, I lived near my parents house and went over to get something from their freezer to cook, so I didn't have to drive to the store.

My mom normally had ground beef, steaks or some chicken in there. Unbeknownst to me, a family friend who ate odd food, had brought my mom a rooster to cook. My mom had no intentions on eating it, but had put in in the freezer. I guess to be polite. lol I then took it home, thinking it looked large and and tough. It was so tough, I couldn't eat it. My mom got a big laugh out of it.

I have since learned that you can eat roosters, but not when they are large and haven't been castrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    The story of the boar bacon upthread reminded me of the time I cooked a rooster! lol I'm serious. Many years ago, when I was in my twenties, I lived near my parents house and went over to get something from their freezer to cook, so I didn't have to drive to the store.

My mom normally had ground beef, steaks or some chicken in there. Unbeknownst to me, a family friend who ate odd food, had brought my mom a rooster to cook. My mom had no intentions on eating it, but had put in in the freezer. I guess to be polite. lol I then took it home, thinking it looked large and and tough. It was so tough, I couldn't eat it. My mom got a big laugh out of it.

I have since learned that you can eat roosters, but not when they are large and haven't been castrated.
    Good to know the word "capon."
    Debb70 likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

What is the difference between white eggs and brown eggs? Why do the brown cost more?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    What is the difference between white eggs and brown eggs? Why do the brown cost more?
    Egg color depends on the breed of chicken that does the layin'. Cost is pretty much supply-and-demand unless you're talking pastured chickens (as opposed those that are factory-farmed).

Here's a link to some good info:
    Is there any nutritional difference between white, brown, green and blue eggs? from My Pet Chicken
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I love brown eggs. When I start to raise chickens again I will get the Rhode Island Reds and the ones that lay brown eggs. I am not a fan of the blue eggs. Araucana's is the ones that lay the blue eggs.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

My CSA always included farm-fresh eggs, and I loved the color variety (but the blues were my favorite).

And I don't know that it's true any more, but when I was growing up, the mantra was "brown eggs are local eggs and local eggs are fresh".

The only time I get white eggs is if I'm coloring them at Easter. That's the only time they're front and center at our grocery store. I'm not sure whether they even carry them other times of the year. I'll have to check next time I'm at the store.
    Count your blessings!

I've never even heard of blue eggs! How interesting! The only ones I see are brown or white but, then again, those are the only ones I have been looking for.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I have been thinking recently that I need a source of marine omega 3's in my diet, that what I'm doing that's plant based may not be enough and I would rather it in food than as a supplement. But how, because I only have so many calories available and "dinner" is usually a large finger food salad that hubby assembles for me. I decided canned sardines (in water, no salt added) had potential and one tin would have the amount of omega 3's I was looking for.

Tried it in a greens smoothie yesterday and it tasted very...sardiny. Not bad, yet not really something I want to do again.

So I have been pondering potential sardine-based sandwiches, using 4:9 Ezekiel bread. I checked a bunch of recipes online. Very little variation.

I ended up mashing together a tin of sardines, a bunch of finely chopped raw spinach, about half an avocado, a sprinkling of parmesan cheese, and just a touch of lemon juice, mustard and soy sauce (I prefer bland). I ate it as a spread on 2 slices of Ezekiel bread quartered. Extra juice from the tin brought it to a nice spreadable consistency. It was quite lovely! I think it was more enjoyable open-faced rather than as a closed sandwich. The main ingredient I didn't use that usually showed up in the recipes was chopped onion or garlic.

Yikes! I think I'd rather take a supplement! Bland has never been any kind of preference of mine. Enjoy yourself!

+ Reply to Thread