+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree497Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Our local butcher makes a wild boar bacon. Really delicious!
    Interesting you should say that. I used to work in assisted living. The bacon was so nasty. It hadn't turned bad it just tasted bad. When I was telling my husbands grandmother about it she said, "Oh that sounds like its from an old boar hog." Through the years a couple of residents would say the same thing. I have always assumed they were right. So I find it interesting that your butcher has a tasty wild boar bacon. I wish I could do a taste test. lol
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf View Post
    Interesting you should say that. I used to work in assisted living. The bacon was so nasty. It hadn't turned bad it just tasted bad. When I was telling my husbands grandmother about it she said, "Oh that sounds like its from an old boar hog." Through the years a couple of residents would say the same thing. I have always assumed they were right. So I find it interesting that your butcher has a tasty wild boar bacon. I wish I could do a taste test. lol
    There's a [very subtle] kind-of sweetness and complexity that's hard to describe. It's different from the "salt assault" of commercial (especially cheap-ass WalMart, et al) bacons. I think my guys ship. But, if not, I'd be happy to be a personal shopper/shipper only at cost for FoRT buddies.

This is a link to my source. (Hey, mention my name if you order directly. I don't know if that'll mean anything now, but it might in the near future, as I'm job-hunting.)
    Homegrown Meats - Grass-fed Beef and Specialty Meats - Homegrown Meats
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

One of my most favorite salads at the holiday get togethers was just a simple lettuce, tomato, kidney bean, and corn chip salad. The lettuce and cornchips together = yum.
    Ellen likes this.
    You can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf View Post
    I haven't tried the Morningstar bacon but I have tried some of their other products and they were really tasty. Like really tasty.
    I would like to try it, but I seem to have a mental block against non-meat products that are designed to taste/feel like meat. It just seems wrong...

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am having this huge craving for a Hebrew National hotdog!!! Where do these things come from?? (The cravings, I mean)
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I get hot dog cravings every once in a while... never that specific, though. When I was first divorced with all 3 kids and next to no child support (one of them was supposed to be living with him) hot dogs were a common way to stretch the budget. You have to toast the buns in butter.
    I went grocery shopping for the kids yesterday. I didn't go overboard because they're not going to be here that long, but got stew meat for the oldest daughter that will go in the crockpot as soon as I'm done typing this with carrots, onions, and potatoes. I got bacon for my son for Christmas morning, and eggs and cheese for my chef daughter who likes to create a Christmas morning meal. I don't know what she'll make, but those are two ingredients she always needs. I got light cream to make steamed cranberry pudding for me. Everybody's favorites in a hodge podge kind of way. We always ate that way when they were growing up, too.
    Ellen and TripleGemini like this.
    Count your blessings!

Sounds delightful, to me! I believe in a special time when everybody gets their favorite. Our special times are birthdays. My son's "birthday cake" is a big tray (one of those circular trays) of large shrimp! He's in hog heaven!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I am having this huge craving for a Hebrew National hotdog!!! Where do these things come from?? (The cravings, I mean)
    Have you tried their Fat Free? Only 45 calories per hot dog and they taste great!
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

I've never found that fat-free hot dogs taste very good. I'm a little skeptical. Fat is what gives things flavor, isn't it? I tried a fat-free hot dog months ago that a friend had sworn by, and it was HORRIBLE. Don't know what brand it was. It doesn't have to be monster fat in it, but it does have to be enough to impart a decent flavor. I don't want to get stuck with a pack of hot dogs that I don't like!

If there's a Trader Joe's near you, they stock Hebrew National, I think. Around here, a lot of the "normal" grocery stores do, too usually in the hot dog section, but not "front and center." They make you look for 'em!
    We usually get beef hot dogs from our butcher shop they have their own ranch where they raise their own pastured, grass-fed bovines.

In fact, today for lunch we're making Kogi dogs! We are the world: Korean-ish hot dogs, along with chips, guacamole, and salsa on the side.
    inthegarden likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread