+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree497Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

For once, New England isn't catching the brunt of the ice, snow, and cold (yet). Everyone stay safe! We've had several years recently with ice storm power outages. If you don't have one already, consider getting a charger that plugs into your car's cigarette lighter. It can help you stay in touch with the world when you can't charge your phone any other way.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Here's a situation/question....simple, but I am curious. While I was working Angel Tree, somehow the conversation turned to microwaved bacon. One woman said that she hated microwaved bacon because just laid on the plate and never got crisp. I looked at her with disbelief, and she said "Oh, I guess YOU have one of those things you cook the bacon on?" Uh.....Yeah...... and I told her about my cool unit and how crisp my bacon was.

My question is....is that something that most people DON'T have?? I was so tickled to have crisp bacon and not have bacon grease splattered all over the place from frying that I just assumed that this is what everybody did. In fact, I've had a couple of different pieces, with my last being the best. I thought she was strange but, then again, I am gadgety....not that the unit is a gadget. I found my best one when just surfing Amazon. No big financial investment, but one of the neatest things I've ever bought.

Tell me that I am not alone.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Um...I've never microwaved bacon :-) And I only had it from the oven when I was at a friend's house.

I have microwaved bacon on a whole roll of paper towels and still have it come out to greasy and just not tasty. So even though I've seen what your talking about Prhoshay, I haven't tried one. I just assumed microwaved bacon is not good. But I might try one now. There are a lot of dishes I'd like to make but I just hate frying bacon so much. lol
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

I love bacon. Hate the mess and after smell in the house. I light tons of candles in the kitchen and other rooms before I fry it in the skillet. I guess my dislike of bacon odor stems back to elementary school. I rode to school in a car pool with a girl who always smelled like stale bacon grease. In some instances stale bacon grease and body odor.
    I fry mine in the microwave. I have the ridged plate. Which fryer do you have prhoshay? Mine needs to be replaced.

Many (MANY) years ago, my folks had one of those microwave bacon trays. No idea if the still have it. I know they don't use it any more. I rarely buy bacon and it's not a big deal to cook it in a skillet.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I love turkey bacon
    Ellen likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I've always been skittish about frying bacon since there grease popped in my eye many many years ago. The pain had my feet running before I even realized I was running. Luckily, there was no serious injury. I didn't even go to the doctor, as the pain subsided before too long. My cooker is called the Presto Power Crisp bacon cooker. I have not been, at all, disappointed; I've had it for years.
    inthegarden likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Ouch! I use one of those skillet screens when I fry bacon. It's really more to prevent the grease from covering my stove than getting on me!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I have. or had a tray, but this thing I have now beats it, hands down. It only takes a few minutes to cook, depending on the level of crispness you want.

I've been annoyed at the grease that even comes through those screens.

Beef bacon is less fatty than pork bacon, too. Learned about it from a guy I used to work with.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 12-12-2013 at 02:52 PM.

+ Reply to Thread