+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree499Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I'm of the stab with a knife and bake whole school of thought. It's much easier to cut open once it's been cooked.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Why do different color onions cost different prices? I can understand seasonal onions, but not the ones you can get year round.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I don't understand that either prhoshay.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I've never had butternut squash, either, on its own. I have tasted butternut squash soup and butternut squash risotto and enjoyed both. My local supermarket had a 20 oz package of peeled, cubed butternut squash on sale for $1.99. I didn't know how to cook it and couldn't remember if it was permitted on my diet so I passed.

I use baby kale mixed in with my other salad greens and I love it.
    I grow kale in the fall along with turnip greens. I mix them both together and cook. I don't use any grease to cook my greens. I boil/wilt them down in a pot of water first and then pour it all in the crockpot, season with a little bit of salt and lots of pepper and cook all day. They are always nice and tender.
    Cooked kale reminds me of spinach.
    Brooks likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    I've never had butternut squash, either, on its own. I have tasted butternut squash soup and butternut squash risotto and enjoyed both. My local supermarket had a 20 oz package of peeled, cubed butternut squash on sale for $1.99. I didn't know how to cook it and couldn't remember if it was permitted on my diet so I passed.
    It should be OK, depending on which diet you're following. 1 cup of butternut squash has 63 calories, .1g fat, 6mg sodium, 493 mg potassium, 16 g carbs (2.8 fiber and 2.1 sugar), and 1.4 g protein. It's amazingly high in Vitamin A (297% RDA), and has 50% RDA of Vitamin C.

Just don't add a lot of butter ;-) (I serve it both cubed and mashed. If cubed, I add garlic and onions; if mashed, I add some cinnamon and nutmeg.)
    Lizard and Eastcoastmom like this.

I ADORE spinach!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Butternut squash soup is pretty good. And it does not take that many ingredients. The only negative is that sometimes it can be a little sweet (in itself, the recipe does not call for addition of sugar)

One squash makes a pretty big pot.
    You can do it!

I don't much care for butternut squash on it's own, but cube it and it's a nutritious addition to a stew.

What kind of flavor does butternut squash have? I take it the texture is potato-like.

+ Reply to Thread