+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree418Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Any kale I have had is kind of tough for a leafy green and not sweet at all. Potentially borderline bitter although I haven't experienced that yet (I have no tolerance for bitter). It's working out really well in my greens smoothies. I make the smoothies at work (with a NutriBullet). The more prep I can do ahead of time the better. So weekends I pick up a bunch of kale, swiss chard and spinach. I remove spines and stems and then chop really small [and mix it with a lot of other stuff]. I don't like plain kale but I might be willing to eat it finely chopped in a salad that includes other major ingredients.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The temp is going to fall tomorrow/tonight, and I finally have the ingredients to make chili! Hip-hip-hooray!!! "Sonnyboy" made his first batch last week, " .....poor thing, it sounded kind of pathetic. Oh well, he liked it and that's the important part, I guess. Ignoring me was a big part of his recipe. OK....................

As Jed Clampett would say....."Pitttt-EEEE-Fulll."
    nennie likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

The news yesterday was about the new statin guidelines, but the American Heart Association also came out with new guidelines on Lifestyle Management to Reduce Cardiovascular Risk; and Management of Overweight and Obesity in Adults, both of which contain dietary recommendations. Not sure if I'm allowed to post the URL. So if you want to see the full guidelines as opposed to a reporter's synopsis, AHA's "healthcare/research" link takes you to "Statements/Guidelines" and then to "By Publication Date". I don't expect to agree with them, LOL, but I don't want to rely on someone else's summary either.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    Any kale I have had is kind of tough for a leafy green and not sweet at all. Potentially borderline bitter although I haven't experienced that yet (I have no tolerance for bitter). It's working out really well in my greens smoothies. I make the smoothies at work (with a NutriBullet). The more prep I can do ahead of time the better. So weekends I pick up a bunch of kale, swiss chard and spinach. I remove spines and stems and then chop really small [and mix it with a lot of other stuff]. I don't like plain kale but I might be willing to eat it finely chopped in a salad that includes other major ingredients.
    I have tried cooking kale several different ways and I just don't care for it. The southern way is loaded with fat from ham and by the time it is tender enough it has lost its color. I have tried steaming and sauteeing. I have crossed this off my list!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I went on a weekend retreat with some girlfriends and we had THE best drink. It's Smirnoff Kissed Caramel vodka mixed with Creme de Cacao and then topped off with a sprinkle of salted caramel hot cocoa mix (we got ours from World Market). I'm not a big drinker, but OMG, it was beyond good.
    Oh, wow. That sounds delicious. I have never heard of that vodka. I assume it is not too sweet. I love salted caramel. I will put that on my list to pick up at World Market when in Phoenix. I don't have one down here in southern Florida.

Check this out: Saw an ice cream called Spiced Pumpkin Pecan. Sounds like it's to die for!! Yes, I WILL own some of that!
    Miss Scarlet likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

My friend had roasted veggies for dinner last which included butternut squash and it made me hungry for one. I love butternut squash so I bought one and roasted it and it tastes so good but dadgum those things are hard to peel and cut.
    Ellen likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I saw Chili's has a pumpkin spice molten cake. They sent me an email to tell me about it and it sounded intriguing so I looked it up. Now I want to try it!

Here's the description from their website. I can just picture Barry White narrating it in a slow, sexy voice:

"Pumpkin spiced cake filled with a decadent cinnamon cream.
    Topped with vanilla ice cream, cinnamon sugar & a drizzle of caramel sauce."
    Lizard likes this.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7: TBA

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    My friend had roasted veggies for dinner last which included butternut squash and it made me hungry for one. I love butternut squash so I bought one and roasted it and it tastes so good but dadgum those things are hard to peel and cut.
    I switch between "peeling and cubing" and "halving and seeding" because they are such a pain to peel. (Especially given that some of the ones I've got weigh about 10 pounds...they're HUGE.) But baking is so much easier, once you are actually able to split the squash in half. (Remove the seeds and put into a 300F oven for about an hour until it's cooked. You might want to cut each half again so that you can remove the part where the seeds were before the other parts because those areas bake quicker.)

I've never had butternut squash. I love the summer squash; I fear I have been deprived.

+ Reply to Thread