+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 468 FirstFirst ... 31323334353637383940414243444546474849505191141 ... LastLast
Like Tree418Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3260019;
    . . . Usinger's Sausage Co. in Milwaukee, WI. . . .
    Believe it or not, during various holiday seasons, my cousins have been "Usingers Elves." (That's what they call -- or used to, anyway -- their seasonal employees.) Old World Third Street is a fun place to explore! I think I may have gone on a Usi's tour -- maybe in conjuction with lunch at Mäder's (a German restaurant just a few blocks away that features Usinger's products)? It was good, but they really need to include an assortment of statins on the dessert menu!
    Last edited by Ellen; 12-30-2008 at 09:41 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

DesertRose, you'll get back in the cooking mode when the kids are older. I remember when my daughter was small, it was a hassle to cook and she didn't like anything anyway. My love of cooking came back when I had more time to devote to it and less time spent on her as she became more self-sufficient. Just give it time. In the meantime, just relax and do what you can do and don't worry about it. If the family is hell bent on a huge meal, then just do what you can and let them worry about it next time.

I made my "famous" prime rib soup tonight. I always use the bones from the primerib at Christmas and any leftovers if we have it (we had one piece-I added in some other beef I cubed up) and make the most wonderful beef soup. The rib bones make it really flavorful and I have to say it's the only soup my husband looks forward too as he's not the soup lover I am. I add in a lot of veggies and some noodles and it's always so good. I think hubby likes it as he likes to brag that we had "prime rib soup". (makes us sound a lot more pretentious than we are. )
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I hated cooking when I was single. Maybe partly because when I was a kid, I cooked for the family whenever my mom was in the hospital or recovering (there was a period of several years when she had one health problem on top of another), and by the time I moved out at 18 I was sick of it? Maybe it was more fun to cook for a group ('cuz I liked to have people over, but it was usually potluck)? I dunno.

But when now-hubby and I started dating, I rediscovered my love for cooking and baking -- mainly, I think, because my husband likes to cook. We love working together in our postage-stamp kitchen; we joke that it's a good thing we like each other because we're always bumping into each other with knives! He's the better cook, I think, but we each have our specialties. We take turns being "chef" or "sous chef" (or rather, lackey who does the slicing, dicing, and other prep work ). There were nearly two decades when cooking was pretty much just a chore, but for the past 15 years it's been a fun, creative outlet.

This may have been covered somewhere but I have a question. How do you defrost soup that has been frozen? I made some homemade beef with vegetable soup and froze half of it. Could I defrost it in the microwave or will that make it unedible? I wanted to have some for lunch but don't want to ruin it. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35;3261451;
    . . . How do you defrost soup that has been frozen? I made some homemade beef with vegetable soup and froze half of it. Could I defrost it in the microwave or will that make it unedible? I wanted to have some for lunch but don't want to ruin it. Thanks in advance.
    I think that defrosting in the microwave would be okay -- probably better at a lower (half-power maybe?) setting. What we often do, though, is defrost it in the microwave just enough to get the big lump of frozen soup out of the container and into a pot (one that's a little larger than really needed just to make things transfer more easily), and heat it on the stovetop.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Can you freeze half-and-half?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Yes you can freeze half and half

And yes, you can defrost soup in the microwave. I do it on half power like ellen said and I stir it several times while defrosting.

Has anyone else got special food planned for today? I'm spending the day at home doing nothing (), but I did put a batch of veggie beef soup into the slow cooker a while ago. My house is going to smell amazing in an hour or so. I bought some of that Heart Smart Bisquick to try out. I've never used it before, but I LOVE Bisquick biscuits - I just can't eat them without feeling guilty over all the fat and calories. We'll see if the lighter ones are worth the effort.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

special food? nope. i just ate a bologna & cheese sandwich w/ mandarine oranges on the side. i was too lazy to cook anything

MRD

got my blackeyed peas simmering and my collard greens going and will be making rice for the "hoppin' john" later. Also cornbread and the traditional pork dish this year is going to be ribs. Usually we have ham.
    These are all traditional foods for New Year's Day in the South. The peas symbolize luck, the greens, wealth and the pork, abundance and the cornbread and rice? I'm not sure about. Maybe because you can't have all of the other without having the rice and cornbread.

Hoppin' John is peas and rice mixed together.

I didn't much feel like cooking, so lucky that the peas and collards are easy and hubby is going to cook the ribs and rice as I still suck at rice making.

+ Reply to Thread