+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Question - if you bought a nice piece of salmon and then forgot about it in the fridge, how many days would you still consider it to be edible/not harmful?
    Raw Salmon 2 days ... if it is cooked ... maybe 3 days. I am a little overly cautious I think ... but that is the rule of thumb.

I know someone, male who cuts the mold off bread and cheese and eats it. He will also eat "expired" canned food unless it's bulging.
    He was in the service where they all ate VERY old canned rations so to each his own.

I also have an acquaintance also male who does some of that so ... I just give him my "expired" stuff and he either eats it or feeds critters up in the north woods with it.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

My mother cuts mold off stuff and eats it. We cleaned out her fridge the last time the whole gang was there and we needed fridge space. There was a container of cottage cheese or sour cream (something dairy) that had expired TWO YEARS before, but she argued for keeping it because it had never been opened!
    Count your blessings!

My mother cuts mold off stuff and eats it. We cleaned out her fridge the last time the whole gang was there and we needed fridge space. There was a container of cottage cheese or sour cream (something dairy) that had expired TWO YEARS before, but she argued for keeping it because it had never been opened!
    I guess we should be grateful for what we have. Some of the older folks lived through much leaner times so maybe that is the reason?
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Question - if you bought a nice piece of salmon and then forgot about it in the fridge, how many days would you still consider it to be edible/not harmful?
    You could ask your cats' opinion. Cats prefer food pretty fresh. Don't bother asking a dog, he'd probably bury it for a couple weeks before declaring it just right! LOL
    prhoshay likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My son brought some of McDonald's wings in here yesterday, and I was shocked!!! These stupid things were ridiculously HOT!!! Not a good experience!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I tried them the other day and I didn't like them and they were spicy and over priced.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    So much for thinking I could incorporate guava in my smoothies in place of banana sometimes. echo226 kindly sent me a link to a long list of cultivars that described typical seed content because the seeds have to be removed. Armed with that list I headed to Whole Foods this weekend in the hope one of their cultivars would match the list. But they haven't carried fresh guavas in ages, and neither has my other grocery store.

Meanwhile I'm happy to report that my trepidation about using kale as the main green in the smoothie was unfounded. I have no tolerance for bitter, but it isn't noticeably bitter at all. I read somewhere that removing the spines can help, so perhaps that was the difference. So I'll be rotating kale, spinach and swiss chard.

As a late afternoon snack, my current obsession is celery sticks double-dipped in almond butter. Whole Foods makes a very nice freshly ground almond butter that doesn't separate and contains no other ingredients.

Do you have an international grocer where you live? I am able to buy frozen guava pulp.

I buy frozen, chopped kale at Costco for smoothies.

Next time I am lamenting that I am fat please remind me that yesterday I thought it would be a good idea to bake brownies, cover them in chocolate ganache and broken skör bar pieces.
    TripleGemini likes this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    My son brought some of McDonald's wings in here yesterday, and I was shocked!!! These stupid things were ridiculously HOT!!! Not a good experience!
    This seems to be a trend now. The spicier/hotter, the better. I just don't get it.
    I like spicy with a bit of a bite to it, but I can't comprehend how anyone would want to eat something with so much burn that the taste is completely overwhelmed.

When I see "spicy" on a menu, I always ask the server just how spicy it really is. Even though they don't want to say anything disparaging about their food, they are a pretty reliable source. If I order it, they always come back & check to see if it's too spicy for me. I've yet to have one recommended to me that I didn't like.
    They get a better tip for a good recommendation too.
    prhoshay likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

The only time I like spicy , really hot & spicy -is when we go out for curry .I order it, then he has to bring over a ton of yoghurt to cool it down for me.
    I make my own hot wings, my son and hubby devour them.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Spicy needs to have flavour, too, not just heat. I like cayenne or chipotle. My current favourite sauce is Valentina
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

+ Reply to Thread