+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree481Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

I made them all into relish except for the ones that has started to ripen. I do that to gutmutter. I have some on the window sill ripening now.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I love garlic bread with everything, so I don't count
    I like garlic bread with my garlic bread. If, God forbid, I don't have garlic bread, garlic bagel chips are pretty darned good with chili.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

I have these Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes, and I just put a bunch in a brown of green ones in a paper bag with some apple(s) to help them to ripen .... it is working well.

As for Chili .. you spice people will think I am deprived because I am really a purist.
    THE only spices I put in my chili are salt, pepper and Chili powder ,,,sometimes a bay leaf. I put onions & sweet peppers in it.

By the standards here ... It is NO alarm chili I guess.

I use crackers ... and the cheddar goldfish are superb in chili ... and Chili mac is also a favorite.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

ps: I just saw a suggestion elsewhere ... to cook some bacon, dice up the green cherry tomatoes and cook them in the bacon fat, crumble the bacon and add it and the diced fried, caramelized tomatoes to a batch of cornbread and bake! Sounds good and easy ... and maybe good to serve with chili!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I thought you were going with bacon chili - I've done that. Fry up some bacon and crumble it into the chili. I only did that once but it was pretty decadent.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Interesting.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

So much for thinking I could incorporate guava in my smoothies in place of banana sometimes. echo226 kindly sent me a link to a long list of cultivars that described typical seed content because the seeds have to be removed. Armed with that list I headed to Whole Foods this weekend in the hope one of their cultivars would match the list. But they haven't carried fresh guavas in ages, and neither has my other grocery store.

Meanwhile I'm happy to report that my trepidation about using kale as the main green in the smoothie was unfounded. I have no tolerance for bitter, but it isn't noticeably bitter at all. I read somewhere that removing the spines can help, so perhaps that was the difference. So I'll be rotating kale, spinach and swiss chard.

As a late afternoon snack, my current obsession is celery sticks double-dipped in almond butter. Whole Foods makes a very nice freshly ground almond butter that doesn't separate and contains no other ingredients.

I love kale, but I haven't used it in smoothies. I'm going to try it tomorrow. Thanks! I always remove the spine. Lately I've been buying baby kale out of pure laziness.
    Count your blessings!

Question - if you bought a nice piece of salmon and then forgot about it in the fridge, how many days would you still consider it to be edible/not harmful?
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Question - if you bought a nice piece of salmon and then forgot about it in the fridge, how many days would you still consider it to be edible/not harmful?
    Smell it.
    If it still smells fresh, it is. If it stinks, throw it out. If it smells stale, it's a toss up, but probably going bad quickly, & I wouldn't chance it.
    It sucks to throw away expensive salmon, but it's way better than the alternative.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

+ Reply to Thread