+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree530Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Is there a way to do an omelette "station" with choices of veggies and cheeses?

Broccoli and Mozzarella cheese is one of my favorites.

You can put corn in muffins ,.. or even in pancake batter. To keep it simple perhaps a veggie/fruit tray with some dips.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Yep, French toast was one of the first things we learned how to prepare in 7th grade home economics class. Do girls/guys (in those days it was just girls who took Home Ec) still have to take Home Ec in middle or junior high school? Not that it was such a tough thing to cook. I was surprised, though, that our teacher put butter and syrup on it, because in our home we only would sprinkle with sugar after cooking. Hubby's family use butter and sugar to top and that is how I make it.

It was also in home ec class where I embarrassed myself in an effort to look like a smarty pants. My teacher held up a "colander" and asked if anyone knew what it was called. Of course I knew what it was as we used it every week to strain the spaghetti or boiled potatoes or what not. So, I raised my hand and blurted out "scuolapasta." I'm not even sure that is spelled right but it means "pasta strainer" in Italian. That's what we called it. No mind you, my parents were born here and so were their parents, so I am 3rd generation American. We did NOT speak Italian at home...just certain words and phrases. But, I had to go to home ec class to learn the correct word as a "colander." I was mortified.
    As info : (scola la pasta) [skoo-laa-BAAST]

Note that the "P" in Pasta is pronounced as a "B".

My Italian born Grandma and the older family members called it macaroni ... and the sauce was red gravy.

There was a soup my Grandma made that was chicken soup that she said was "bustine" .... at least that is what I thought she said. The thing was she cooked these tiny noodles in it which is known as Pastina ... it took me a long time to figure out that this referred to the small noodles.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

As for Home Ec ... I think they now allow females to take "shop".
    Eastcoastmom likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

GoodiIdeas. I'll try to figure out how to do the casserole station. I was thinking of having a few people all bring a different kind. We have to figure out how to serve them hot, with just one oven to operate from.

Oh, I just thought of another favorite! Hashbrowns!

Of course, we'll have a choice of coffees, hot chocolate and OJ.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Interestingly enough, just saw on the news that home ec. is coming back....I think they're changing the name to "Life Skills". This is waaaay overdue! Sewing, cooking, writing checks, etc.....the real basics that seem to have fallen by the wayside. We are raising a generation of idiots these days.
    Photobabe likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

When our "new" middle school was being built, home ec was still a class and one classroom has 5 kitchen stations built into it. Now it isn't being used which just kills me. Everyone needs to know how to cook!
    prhoshay and Eastcoastmom like this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I make jerky from time to time. I used to make it every year for Christmas for the men in my family. I'd make cookies for the ladies.

Sometimes my uncle would give me venison to make jerky for him but most of the time I'd use flank steak or round steak.

Like nennie, I stopped making it as often once the cost of meat went up. My dehydrator crapped out so now I make it in my convection oven.
    I just bought a jerky gun and food dehydrator. Tomorrow is first batch of jerky day (I've been drying fruit for 2 days)
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    It's official. Our family is going to have a Thanksgiving Breakfast celebration. It'll be the first. Usually, we eat around 1:00 for lunch, so most can go to other family members to have their evening meal. This way, it won't bunch up the time and make everyone so stuffed by the end of the day.I posted earlier about it.

One young man has already volunteered to bring his Belgium Waffle maker and make waffles! So, that's now on the menu. I've never had them, so that will be a treat.

I'm considering the following:

Several breakfast casseroles. At least one that is plain or just with cheese, one with sausage, and maybe another one? Any suggestions. I'm partial to broccoli and artichoke.

Ham and biscuits. (I'm still thinking of some yeast rolls too.)

Grits. (Homemade, slow cooked. We are in the south, so that's a must.)

Fresh fruit salad if we can find the fruits.

Cinnamin rolls. My sister-in-law does a good job and will make those.

I think I saw some pancake sticks stuffed with bacon upthread. I'm condering, but with the waffles, pancakes may be too much.

I would like to throw in some more veggie type foods. Any suggestions?
    I throw eggs, cheese, ham an onion and spinach in the blender and then pour it into frozen tart shells, bake at 350 until set.
    Debb70 likes this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Oh yes. Those little tart things are wonderful. We can make them in advance and heat up last minute right?

Oh yes. Those little tart things are wonderful. We can make them in advance and heat up last minute right?
    Yep or eat them at room temp

GoodiIdeas. I'll try to figure out how to do the casserole station. I was thinking of having a few people all bring a different kind. We have to figure out how to serve them hot, with just one oven to operate from.
    Check out various crockpot breakfast casseroles recipes. If people are helping you cook, they can set up their crockpot the night before, unplug it in the morning, and bring it to your house ready to eat. (And they can plug it in again to keep the food warm.)
    inthegarden likes this.

+ Reply to Thread