+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree455Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

My taste buds have changed, I loved anything sweet( never for brunch or breakfast though) but French toast or anything like it. Hubby makes that for himself, I would rather have an apple with almond butter on it

OTOH I have never met a slice of bacon I don't love
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Believe it or not, I've never had French toast. That seems bizarre to me.....but I have had a Belgian waffle!

I've never had almond butter, either, but I DO love peanut butter on apples.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    I'm not a huge lover of syrup, either, FM. B/c of that I rarely eat plain pancakes. I will mash a banana and add some chopped walnuts to the pancake batter. Then, I just dab some butter on the pancakes when they are done. The sweetness of the bananas negates any need for syrup. On French toast, hubby and I add butter and some sprinkled granulated sugar instead of syrup.

As far as donuts go, well when Krispy Kreme finally came to our area I could not wait to try them out. Oh my goodness, they were horrible, horrible donuts! The bakeries make some good ones... I am partial to a donut filled with cream with chocolate icing on top. Or a nice crunchy cruller is good, too. I love a type of Italian donut called a zeppole, which is fried and dusted with confectioner's sugar. You can get them at the local fairs or some of the pizzerias make them.
    Zeppole are traditional Saint Joseph's day (March 9 )"cakes. The dough is made with ricotta.

Around here the bakeries tend to cheat and use french donuts ... and fill them with something similar to canoli filling.

And by the way, one thing I love about donuts is if you only eat the hole ... no calories.

And I love a little syrup on pancakes, french toast as well as putting a little on my oatmeal or cream of wheat with butter.

Also ... my Grandma used to fry bread dough and serve with honey, or powdered sugar, or regular sugar around the holidays.
    Last edited by echo226; 09-30-2013 at 11:27 PM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Nothing better than a hot Krispy Kreme donut. When we were kids my mom made the best homeade donuts. We loved the donut holes.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    Nothing better than a hot Krispy Kreme donut. When we were kids my mom made the best homeade donuts. We loved the donut holes.
    Yep, they're the best. Sadly (or, maybe, safely in my case), when they cool down, they're just like any old doughnut.

I had a friend growing up whose mom made doughnuts sometimes when we had sleepovers. I kept trying to convince my mom that she needed to learn how to make doughnuts, but she never did. I thought my friend's house was like freaking paradise with the homemade doughnuts!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I like mini doughnuts at the fair : Nothing beats eating them outside, and they are hot! - they are also not too sweet
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Yep, they're the best. Sadly (or, maybe, safely in my case), when they cool down, they're just like any old doughnut.

I had a friend growing up whose mom made doughnuts sometimes when we had sleepovers. I kept trying to convince my mom that she needed to learn how to make doughnuts, but she never did. I thought my friend's house was like freaking paradise with the homemade doughnuts!
    My mom made the donuts to make extra money and she had a customer base so we didn't get to eat to our hearts content. I was so blessed to have a mom who made homemade yest rolls all the time and we also had homemade biscuits all the time.

Krispy Kreme is just an ordinary donut cold but I always reheat them for about 10 seconds and they are really good. I have to restrain myself from stopping when the hot sign is on.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Correction

I made a typo in the above post here: "Zeppole are traditional Saint Joseph's day (March 9 ) "cakes.".

Saint Joseph's day is actually celebrated on March 19.

Many Italian-Americans wear red on St. Joseph's day along with eating those above mentioned zeppoli.
    Eastcoastmom likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

French toast with cinnamon was one of the first things I learned to make as a kid. My best friend's mom made it and I LOVED it. My friend and I learned from her. I still make it and it always takes me back. I feel like a kid everytime I eat it!

(Dip white bread in beaten egg with a little milk, sugar, and lots of cinnamon. Brown in skillet in a little butter until golden brown.) Serve with syrup! Delicious!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I learned about zeppoles from watching The Sopranos. Never had one; they, in my mind, seemed like the elephant ears that you see at festivals. I see donuts, and the like, as dessert items.,,,not as a true meal. Maybe I'd like syrup better if I had the REAL syrup, and not the less expensive, everyday knockoff. Sometimes, a difference like that can change your life!!!

Why do I think that little recipe was for me??? Does it have to be white bread? I also don't get this country's obsession with white bread.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread