+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree484Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

A friend drove with me to Boston so I could take my daughter and her roommate to the restaurant where my daughter works. It's a 5 star French restaurant and earns every star. We were comped a LOT of treats because of my daughter and everyone at our table was into sharing so we all got to try at least a bite or two of almost everything on the menu. We were at the table for THREE HOURS! Then my friend got lost on the way home so we didn't pull into my driveway until after midnight. I was dragging today.
    http://deuxave.com/wp-content/upload...nner-Menu3.pdf
    http://deuxave.com/wp-content/upload...t-and-wine.pdf
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    A friend drove with me to Boston so I could take my daughter and her roommate to the restaurant where my daughter works. It's a 5 star French restaurant and earns every star. We were comped a LOT of treats because of my daughter and everyone at our table was into sharing so we all got to try at least a bite or two of almost everything on the menu. We were at the table for THREE HOURS! Then my friend got lost on the way home so we didn't pull into my driveway until after midnight. I was dragging today.
    I read the menus. What a delightful "hangover"!
    inthegarden likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Wow...that sounds incredible :-)

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    I always add more liquid and make my pasta dishes soupier than what the recipe recommends. I don't like crunchy pasta.

When I cook a dish that uses sprinkled cheese on top, I divide the cheese in half (or grate extra ). I sprinkle half the cheese on top when I cook the dish. When I take it out of the oven, while it is cooling for the table, I sprinkle the other half of the cheese on top.
    The cheese melts from the heat of the food and stays nice and moist.
    When I reheat pasta and cheese dishes, I sprinkle a small amount of water or Chicken broth on top, cover with foil and reheat in the oven on a low temperature.
    If I'm reheating a small serving, I line a small one or two serving baking dish with nonstick foil, sprinkle with water or chicken broth, cover with foil and reheat in my toaster oven.
    I found that using water or chicken broth works better for me than milk or additional cream sauce when reheating.
    The water or broth is the way to do it ... and that also works if reheating in the microwave.

My SO puts leftover hamburgers in a little water or broth to reheat in the microwave for a quick sandwich. Believe it or not ... it's not bad.
    inthegarden likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Okay ... you are killing me! Too much on that menu to choose from.
    I know it's a French restaurant ... but they have some Italian dishes ... and they note that the pasta is homemade ... so I would need to rent someone there who would comp me too! It sounds like you had a really yummy time and your friends were fun to dine with and be lost with on the way home.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Gutmutter, what a menu!!!!!!!!!! OMG. I didn't see anything that didn't look awesome. I would love to dine there! What a wonderful evening you must have had.

It really was incredible. The duck confit practically melted in your mouth. The French onion soup had onions that were caramelized for 9 hours and beef marrow stock they make there. The carrot cake was completely deconstructed... a little core of cake with curled carrots and crispy crystalized ginger strips arranged around the frosting/foam. They sent us champagne at the beginning of the meal and a delightful dessert wine at the end. Blue's roommate is also a chef who graduated with her this past May. It is fun to eat with two foodies.
    Oh, and they changed out the cutlery every time we used it - and with all we had, that was a LOT.
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I have no idea what people see in donuts. And to eat them as a breakfast meal???????
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Same here. But then I don't like pancakes and syrup either
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I'm not a huge lover of syrup, either, FM. B/c of that I rarely eat plain pancakes. I will mash a banana and add some chopped walnuts to the pancake batter. Then, I just dab some butter on the pancakes when they are done. The sweetness of the bananas negates any need for syrup. On French toast, hubby and I add butter and some sprinkled granulated sugar instead of syrup.

As far as donuts go, well when Krispy Kreme finally came to our area I could not wait to try them out. Oh my goodness, they were horrible, horrible donuts! The bakeries make some good ones... I am partial to a donut filled with cream with chocolate icing on top. Or a nice crunchy cruller is good, too. I love a type of Italian donut called a zeppole, which is fried and dusted with confectioner's sugar. You can get them at the local fairs or some of the pizzerias make them.

+ Reply to Thread