+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree444Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    Last night I was sitting in a hospital ER waiting for someone. I looked up and saw a snack vending machine in the corner. It had 2 big banners on it telling people to "Eat Healthy Snacks". So, I checked out the contents. Four varieties of potato chips, several varieties of pretzels, some Cheetos, an assortment of Hostess cupcakes, donuts, etc. And lets not forget he Gummy Bears! These are a hospitals version of "Healthy Snacks"!
    The banner should have just said "DON'T EAT THESE SNACKS!"
    Photobabe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    You're doing it wrong. Grown-up root beer float. Three ingredients: Root beer. Jack Daniels. Vanilla Ice Cream.
    Hmm, just the JD over ice cream is nice
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Can someone recommend a way to get my pasta dish to stay moist? I posted around here when I first started working on this dish and I have made it many times since then. I keep trying to improve it with tweaks here and there. In addition to the pasta, I add several cheeses, butter, and two different sauces and lots of it. I then bake in the oven until cheeses are melted. It's great then, but later when the leftovers are heated up, it's on the dry side. I can't figure it out.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've never had a pasta salad that I liked. Flavorless slime. It's right up there with regular turkey.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Can someone recommend a way to get my pasta dish to stay moist? I posted around here when I first started working on this dish and I have made it many times since then. I keep trying to improve it with tweaks here and there. In addition to the pasta, I add several cheeses, butter, and two different sauces and lots of it. I then bake in the oven until cheeses are melted. It's great then, but later when the leftovers are heated up, it's on the dry side. I can't figure it out.
    I have had no luck with it either. The pasta soaks up all the sauce.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    I have had no luck with it either. The pasta soaks up all the sauce.
    I know. If I add anymore sauce in the beginning, it's going to be too watery. I was wondering if there is some soft cheese I might add, like Ricotta. Have you tried that?

I know. If I add anymore sauce in the beginning, it's going to be too watery. I was wondering if there is some soft cheese I might add, like Ricotta. Have you tried that?
    I just make more sauce Debb, or extra sauce. I have tried less cheese, more sauce. In the end I just make a little more sauce to add to my leftovers
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I always add more liquid and make my pasta dishes soupier than what the recipe recommends. I don't like crunchy pasta.

When I cook a dish that uses sprinkled cheese on top, I divide the cheese in half (or grate extra ). I sprinkle half the cheese on top when I cook the dish. When I take it out of the oven, while it is cooling for the table, I sprinkle the other half of the cheese on top.
    The cheese melts from the heat of the food and stays nice and moist.
    When I reheat pasta and cheese dishes, I sprinkle a small amount of water or Chicken broth on top, cover with foil and reheat in the oven on a low temperature.
    If I'm reheating a small serving, I line a small one or two serving baking dish with nonstick foil, sprinkle with water or chicken broth, cover with foil and reheat in my toaster oven.
    I found that using water or chicken broth works better for me than milk or additional cream sauce when reheating.
    TripleGemini likes this.

I haven't added any soft cheese to mine but the idea of adding more sauce when you reheat should work. The only thing is if you have a layer of cheese melted on top that might not work.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Good ideas. I'll try them for my leftovers.

You know this sound crazy, but last time I added a little of my salad dressing after I heated it and it was delicious. It's the salad dressing I make with olive oil, dijion mustard and fresh lemon juice. I poured just a dab on it and it was super good. It gave this nice, fresh, zesty flavor. No one else here thought it was a good idea though and wouldn't try it. lol

+ Reply to Thread