+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree431Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: General Food Talk

My cheeseburger adventure turned out to be a pretty successful one, compared to some of my other "let's try that new menu item". Might I do it again? That is a definite 'Maybe!'. These cravings only come every once in a great while.

I am seriously ready for cooler weather and fall/winter foods. For some reason, I started thinking about the soup I used to make with the Soup Starter mix, from back in the day. It was always spectacular. I was purging some of my very old private messages and ran across a (IIRC) some kind of cabbage/beef soup recipe from a former FoRTer, and I think that must have kicked off my yearnings. I am a known "non-cook", and some people have taken pity on my and helped me out with their beloved 1-pot recipes. Brought back good memories.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm making my second crockpot of soup in a week. Don't wait for cold weather - do it now! I've had a really hard time kicking the cold I came down with at the tail end of my traveling and this veggie soup with lots of garlic, tomato, onion, black beans, and other veggies really seems to have curative power.
    Ellen and TripleGemini like this.
    Count your blessings!

Soup is comfort food to me.

I love salad. I like spring mix with spinach for a base and tons of crunchy vegetables/fruit chopped up on top.
    It gets expensive if I buy all the greens and veggies individually so I've been buying the bagged salad mixes. The one that has become my favorite is by Eat Smart called Sweet Kale Vegetable Salad Kit. It includes chopped broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, kale and chicory. In a separate but inclosed package there are dried cranberries, roasted pumpkin seeds and poppy seed dressing. I use the spring mix/spinach as a base, top with the kale mix, a few of the cranberries and nuts, a chopped apple, feta cheese, poppy seed dressing or a raspberry vinaigrette. It last me all week. I only take out what I need for each salad and even though it says pre-washed, I wash it again. I'm not a big fan of cooked Brussels sprouts but I do like them raw.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I can't tihk of anything more distasteful that fruit in salad. I've got to go all the way savory or completely pass on the salad. I do love salad, though. Isn't there something wrong when a "cold" hangs on much longer than it should?

Why do I hate the kitchen so much?? With the way that bagged salad keeps coming up with sicknesses so often, it scares me. I am just bothered by it. You are braver than I am.

Was I the only person who used Soup Starter?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I just got finished making a batch of blackberry jelly and have peaches cooking to make jam out of it.

I made a tater tot casserole for lunch. That's comfort food.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I can't think of anything more distasteful that fruit in salad. I've got to go all the way savory or completely pass on the salad. I do love salad, though. Isn't there something wrong when a "cold" hangs on much longer than it should?

Why do I hate the kitchen so much?? With the way that bagged salad keeps coming up with sicknesses so often, it scares me. I am just bothered by it. You are braver than I am.

Was I the only person who used Soup Starter?
    In order :-)

- I love fruit in salad. One of my favorite combos is a salad with the usual suspects (tomatoes, cukes, onions) with mandarin oranges, tuna, and blue cheese (crumbled from a block) with some kind of balsamic vinaigrette.

- I buy bagged salad, but it's for the lizard. (He doesn't seem to be bothered by it. I don't wash it, but I do rinse it...lizards don't drink water so we have to make sure he gets enough in the food we give him.)

- I never used Soup Starter. Because I have to watch how much sodium I eat, I tend to avoid most processed foods (other than some canned fruits and tomatoes).

I love fruit in salad. One of my favorite combos is a salad with the usual suspects (tomatoes, cukes, onions) with mandarin oranges, tuna, and blue cheese (crumbled from a block) with some kind of balsamic vinaigrette.
    oh yes, lovely!!

I love watermelon and feta salad. I also like cranberries in my salad, goes nice with blue cheese
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    oh yes, lovely!!

I love watermelon and feta salad. I also like cranberries in my salad, goes nice with blue cheese
    Oh, yeah, I love those, too. Have you tried cantaloupe, fresh mozzarella, and prosciutto? It's really good (even without the prosciutto).

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    Oh, yeah, I love those, too. Have you tried cantaloupe, fresh mozzarella, and prosciutto? It's really good (even without the prosciutto).
    No, but I know I would like it
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    oh yes, lovely!!

Absolutely agree regarding the cranberries and blue cheese.

I even have to put grapes and nuts in chicken salad!

I never had a watermelon/feta salad. I will have to try it,
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread