+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree381Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Most of the time, I have to make myself eat breakfast and lunch. Until recently, when I cut out my snacking at night, I just don't take the time to eat until dinner. I would feel empty and a little hunger, but I just felt that a cup of coffee and some water would hold me until dinner. In fact when I am busy working, I don't even think about eating or if I do, I ignore it until I finish the project.
    Now that I've cut out my night snacking and reduced my meal portions, I do get hungrier during the day, but still can make do with not eating. I know it's not a good thing and it much healthier to eat small meals throughout the day, but that's just not me.
    Just be careful. What you are doing by skipping and eating etc. is messing with your metabolism. If you continue, it could result in diabetes.

If you can't or won't eat multiple meals, just grab something, protein is a good choice. Grab a piece of cheese or a handful of nuts in the morning. Later some fruit works. Just don't mess with your blood sugar/glucose levels.

Not a lecture. I get it. It's not me either so I have to put a note on my coffee pot so I'll eat something and take my morning medicine.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Too Late!!! I'm sure Debb can and will continue!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm trying to improve my eating schedule. I'm actually a Type I diabetic. I have to count my carbs so I know how much insulin to take. The less carbs I eat, the less insulin I have to take, but still, you have to take insulin, since I don't make it.

Has anyone here ever cooked a Jerusalem Artichoke? They are not from Jerusalem and they are not artichokes....lol. I've read they are like a potato, but difficult to digest. They are easy to overcook and will turn color on you easy. Some nice lady gave me a couple. I think I will slice them up and eat raw in a salad. I've never tried one before.

Sorry Debb ... I do the same thing ... want to skip breakfast and then eat one (too) big meal later.

I went for some nutrirional counseling and she is the one who shared the graba slice of cheese line.

I have never tried a Jerusalem artichoke, but they are supposed to be sweet both raw and cooked. I'd love to know what you think after you try them.

ETA: I just went to look up the nutritional info, because I am supposed to watch my carbs too and thought I might save you the trouble.

In one cup sliced:

Calories 109
    % Daily Value*
    Total fat 0 g 0%
    Saturated fat 0 g 0%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0 g
    Monounsaturated fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 6 mg 0%
    Potassium 644 mg 18%
    Total Carbohydrate 26 g 8%
    Dietary fiber 2.4 g 9%
    Sugar 14 g

Protein 3 g
    Last edited by echo226; 06-19-2013 at 02:06 PM.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Heard where THE TWINKIE is scheduled to make its comeback on July 17!!!!!! Hip Hip Hooray!!!!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I'm trying to improve my eating schedule. I'm actually a Type I diabetic. I have to count my carbs so I know how much insulin to take. The less carbs I eat, the less insulin I have to take, but still, you have to take insulin, since I don't make it.

Has anyone here ever cooked a Jerusalem Artichoke? They are not from Jerusalem and they are not artichokes....lol. I've read they are like a potato, but difficult to digest. They are easy to overcook and will turn color on you easy. Some nice lady gave me a couple. I think I will slice them up and eat raw in a salad. I've never tried one before.
    Sorry I missed this. Do you have a blender? I have a Vitamix so I make lots of fake cream soups. I make one with celery and Jerusalem Artichoke (which we call Sunchokes here) I do a soup similar to the one in this blog I use veggie or chicken broth instead of water and omit the hazelnut oil.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Also it is the carbohydrate inulin which is difficult for us to digest. It causes gas in most people.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Yeah, I heard that part about the gas. Oh well. Mayb just a little. Soy effects me that way too. Soy bean oil is the worst for my system. The trouble is it's in just about everything.

Easy GF recipe that I found online and made last night and then again just now for lunch.

Thinly slice zucchini, dip in beaten egg and then Parmesan cheese, place discs on parchment paper lined cookie sheet, drizzle very lightly with olive oil and bake at 400F until golden. Dip in plain Greek yoghurt that has some grated cucumber, garlic and dill in it. You can almost pretend you are eating bar food.

Crap. As soon as I hit 50, pretty much everything caused/causes gas.
    I'm glad my hubby has a good sense of humor. And more gas than I have. Though he'll deny it.

Geez, I hate that my body ages so much faster than my brain...
    TripleGemini likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread