+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree418Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

Thanks to all for your ideas. I did google and found several recipes.

I made two dishes. Both were GREAT. I got so many compliments. There was hardly any left. I left out sausage because my dad doesn't eat it. I used ground beef in one and no meat in the other. I used Romano, Swiss, Mozzarella and Parmesan and I used much more than the recipe said, maybe a little too much cheese. I made one with red and a white sauce that you poured over the dish and also added eggs to the pasta before baking it. That was my favorite.

Next, I'm going to do one with Italian sausage and basil. There is also one that only has white sauce that I may try. That looked good too.

We had green garden salad, fresh strawberries, fresh blue berries, the pasta dishes, Lasagna, garlic bread, pizza and lemon pie, hot fudge cake, and ice cream for desert. So good! I ate what I wanted, but kept it in moderation. lol

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am a person who believes that there is NEVER too much cheese!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I am a person who believes that there is NEVER too much cheese!
    That's what most everyone else said too! I guess I'm not the biggest cheese fan, although I do like it.

Debb if you use Ricotta, do try to drain the water ... also try Tuma cheese. You can cut small chunks and mix it in with ricotta. The baked texture of the Tuma is almost like Swiss cheese. Speaking of Swiss cheese, I was surprised that you used it because the flavor is so strong and distinctive ... especially mixed with the others.

Anyway, your dishes sounded yummy and I am glad your family/guests enjoyed.

By the way, if I don't have sausage or have someone who doesn't eat it because of the pork or fat involved ... I add Fennel seed or ground fennel to the ground beef when I brown it ... or even to a meatless sauce.

And prhoshay ,,, cheese rules!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Yes, the recipe I used called for it. It also called for Fontina, but I couldn't find any. I just left that out. I didn't use a bunch of the Swiss though.

I'm looking forward to experimenting and making the dish more to my liking. I may try the fennel idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Yes, the recipe I used called for it. It also called for Fontina, but I couldn't find any. I just left that out. I didn't use a bunch of the Swiss though.

I'm looking forward to experimenting and making the dish more to my liking. I may try the fennel idea too.
    The fennel taste is what I like most about Italian sausage. Another thing my Grandma used to do is put beef stew meat in her sauce, which she, of course, cooked for hours. That beef just soaked up the gravy and was scrumptious, and one of my childhood favorites.

I buy the Tuma when I use it at the "Italian Food store". I kept thinking my Grandma and Aunt were saying to put TUNA in things, which sounded a little ... um ... fishy to me.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I didn't think that Swiss cheese fit into that recipe but, what the heck, I'd be happily willing to try it!! BRING IT ON!!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Back on my breakfast smoothies after a weekend away. I went to Vermont with my sisters and they are not the "eat on a regular basis" type. They can get up in the morning and not have anything to eat or drink until 2 PM and then have something sweet late afternoon and supper around 9 PM. I can't function that way.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Most of the time, I have to make myself eat breakfast and lunch. Until recently, when I cut out my snacking at night, I just don't take the time to eat until dinner. I would feel empty and a little hunger, but I just felt that a cup of coffee and some water would hold me until dinner. In fact when I am busy working, I don't even think about eating or if I do, I ignore it until I finish the project.
    Now that I've cut out my night snacking and reduced my meal portions, I do get hungrier during the day, but still can make do with not eating. I know it's not a good thing and it much healthier to eat small meals throughout the day, but that's just not me.

I totally believe in eating breakfast....and not the sweet kind.

+ Reply to Thread