+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree481Likes

Thread: General Food Talk

Re: General Food Talk

If you think of the juice as a solid that has become liquid by heating up then the hotter it is when you cut it the runnier the juice will be. If you let it set and cool down just a tad it thickens and doesn't just leak allover the plate- kind of a natural interior gravy.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    I just hate that I have about 20 who haven't rsvp'd yet. I am so making macarons, though. Multi coloured and flavoured.
    1. Time limit for editing has passed. iPad autocorrect switched it to macaroons and I didn't notice
    2. The party went very well. About 30 people (I can't believe how many people didn't bother to decline or reply at all.) I have so many leftovers that we are going to be eating hors d'oeuvres all week.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I think people are terrified that they are expected to bring a gift. Glad you had a good time....don't let the rude ones spoil your pride and happiness!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm preparing a pasta dish with red sauce this weekend for our Father's Day celebration. Most are bringing a covered Italian dish. I want to liven it up and add more than I normally do. I've decided to switch to Italian sausage and also add several different cheeses, including Ricotta cheese and put it in the oven to melt. Do you think that's too much? I've read recipes with different types of cheeses. Which ones are the best used together with sausage?

Always better to look for a recipe than experiment with a special occasion. I'd hit up Google.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I'm preparing a pasta dish with red sauce this weekend for our Father's Day celebration. Most are bringing a covered Italian dish. I want to liven it up and add more than I normally do. I've decided to switch to Italian sausage and also add several different cheeses, including Ricotta cheese and put it in the oven to melt. Do you think that's too much? I've read recipes with different types of cheeses. Which ones are the best used together with sausage?
    If you use ricotta, be sure not to use too much. It can make the dish overly gooey.

Good cheeses to use with sausage and pasta are mozzarella (fresh or shredded), parmesan, provolone, and romano. (I made pasta with red sauce and two kinds of Italian sausage on Tuesday night. On Wednesday, I stirred in a couple of handfuls of shredded mozzarella and then topped it with mozzarella before baking it. It was good :-).)

Note: I don't eat hot sausage, which my husband loves. So I cook both sweet and hot Italian sausages, and then I cut the sweet into disks, but I cut the hot on the diagonal so we can cull out the kinds we like.

Good ideas. I have decided to just use cheese and not the sausage this time, because I remembered my dad doesn't eat sausage anymore. I'm just going to use the cheeses and keep it simple.

I say always do a test-run!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Strangely enough, I was laying in bed this morning and heard a cooking expert say meat is rested after cooking to allow the juices to 'redistribute' so that the meat won't be dry. I swear, sometimes, I think these people have been eavesdropping on/eyeballing my conversations. That was just bizarre! They also said that we tend to make the mistake of opening the door/lid of our cookers when we should just leave them alone....we over do it; that would be for indoor/outdoor cooking . Interesting!

These people are determined to make me learn about cooking, whether I want to or not!
    TripleGemini likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Do look up some baked pasta recipes.

I don't understand ... I've decided to switch to Italian sausage ... switch from what? If you are switching from meatballs my grandma put both in her sauce.

Generally when mixing pasta with cheeses (like in lasagna)the ricotta is flavored with parmesan and/or romano cheese and some shredded mozzarella if you like. plus some parsley, an egg and some salt and pepper to taste.. Cover and bake ... and then take the cover off , put a layer of mozzarella on top if you like. and bake until the mozzarella melts.

ETA: One way to ensure your ricotta is firm ... is to drain it very well overnight in the fridge if possible.
    Last edited by echo226; 06-16-2013 at 01:08 AM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread